Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The real olympic battle: Yorkshire vs Lancashire
  • grum
    Free Member

Seems to have been some claims being made about how Yorkshire would at one point have been 10th in the medal table if it was a separate country. But a) Yorkshire isn’t even a county any more is it? b) How do you define where someone is from – half the athletes being claimed as from Yorkshire weren’t born or didn’t grow up there.

Does Lancashire get to claim Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins? 🙂

Cougar

About the only claim Yorkshire has over Lancashire is better neighbours.

(-:

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I thought we were ninth above Germany now, after getting gold in the bottle throwing comp?.

bigyinn
    Free Member

WGAS? (Apart from Northerners with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove)

druidh
    Free Member

Surely nowhere in the UK can claim Wiggins?

grum
    Free Member

WGAS? (Apart from Northerners with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove)

It was meant to be a bit of fun. Not sure who’s showing the chip on their shoulder here. 😉

carlosg
    Free Member

About the only claim Yorkshire has over Lancashire is better neighbours weather)

FTFY 😀 , you just know the Pennines were put there to drain the rain back into the Irish sea 8)

Anyway Yorkshire should be a country all the counties together are bigger than Wales and they’re allowed to be one :mrgreen:

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bigyinn just now

ransos
    Free Member

Posted in the other thread…

If we go by where people are born, and consider traditional county borders (seeing as Yorkshire is now several counties):

Andrew Triggs Hodge – born in Buckinghamshire
    Katherine Copeland – born in Northumberland

That leaves Yorkshire with three gold medalists: Jess Ennis, Ed Clancy and Brownlee

Lancashire has four gold medalists – Peter Charles (Liverpool) Etienne Stott (Manchester) Jason Burke (Colne) & Jason Kenny (Bolton).

Just one of many reasons why Lancashire is better.

grum
    Free Member

Ah hadn’t seen the other thread – I’ve been away. Thanks ransos – pretty conclusive I think. 🙂

D0NK

Jason Kenny (Bolton).

I did not know this, fellow boltonion eh? mind you before about 10:30 this morning when I watched the pursuit final I may well have said “kenny who?”

bigyinn
    Free Member

No not at all, im in the sunny south, but formerly of scotchland. Just fed up with petty point scoring, whether it be down south / the north or scotland.

ransos
    Free Member

No not at all, im in the sunny south, but formerly of scotchland. Just fed up with petty point scoring, whether it be down south / the north or scotland.

You do realise that it’s not entirely serious?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyway Yorkshire should be a country all the counties together are bigger than Wales[b]Scotland[/b] and they’re allowed to be one

FTFY

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hope nobody claiming glory for his or her northern county was whinging about inclusiveness before the games. 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

ransos – Member

You do realise that it’s not entirely serious?
    Yes but im grumpy and at work. OK?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Where would Scotland be in the medal table?

druidh
    Free Member

Surely there are too many team medals to split them up like this (even for a laugh)?

grum
    Free Member

Just fed up with petty point scoring, whether it be down south / the north or scotland.

Or Great Britain? Kind of the whole point of the olympics, no? 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Another victory for Lancashire (doesn’t Hoy live in Salford?). 😀

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Surely nowhere in the UK can claim Wiggins?

Well, I think London can, considering he grew up and became a competitive cyclist here. he’s identified himself as being a Londoner too.

kimbers

yorkshire get to claim the guy from leeds that threw the bottle at the 100m final

fortunately it was a carlsberg and they are official sponsors, theyd really have come down on him if hed violated the exclusivity rights

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Hah!

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/demos/medal-map/

Doesn’t that show Yorkshire has more medals though??

Tiger6791

Yeah but Liverpool is historically part of Lancashire which means Yorkshire may have the knob head bottle thrower but Lancashire has got Macca!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yeah but Liverpool is historically part of Lancashire

Ah right, You can’t bloody claim them back now,

yunki
    Free Member

would any of these pie munching semi literate fools be able to progress past tying their shoelaces without help from some of the more evolved counties that are amongst other things providing role models, teachers, mentors, coaching, funding etc

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

This is all about the amusing eccentricities of our quant northern cousins, eh?

ransos
    Free Member

Doesn’t that show Yorkshire has more medals though??

When Peter Charles was born, Liverpool was in Lancashire. Anyway, as I said earlier, there’s no such county as Yorkshire anymore, so they can’t have it both ways.

grum
    Free Member

Ah right, You can’t bloody claim them back now,

Just like Yorkshire can’t now claim to be a single county?

Anyway, more importantly – this all shows that the north of England is clearly best. 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

would any of these pie munching semi literate fools be able to progress past tying their shoelaces without help

I trust you forgot the 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just like Yorkshire can’t now claim to be a single county?

Tis more than Lancs, If we go historically are we claiming the USA and other previous dependants?? hehe

Anyway, more importantly – this all shows that the north of England is clearly best.

Yeah but we don’t really need to work hard to prove that. 😆

convert

A bit off topic – “plastic Brits”/ naturalised Brits – who do they compete for in the Commonwealth Games? Is it down to the address their first British passport was sent to, where they lived the longest in the quantifying period or just which one they like the kit of most?

MrSmith
    Free Member

They are both winners.
    Streets ahead in jingoism, provincial attitudes, sartorial crimes and being full of their own self importance.

I do realise ‘this is not entirely serious’

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Anyway, as I said earlier, there’s no such county as Yorkshire anymore, so they can’t have it both ways.

Yes there is they have a website.

Yorkshire.com

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

work hard

Northerners? 😆

ransos
    Free Member

Yes there is they have a website.

Which is nearly 40 years out of date. How apposite…

yunki
    Free Member

I trust you forgot the 😉

oops.. yeah sorry.. I see your point.. ‘progress past strapping scraps of animal skin to their feet’ would be more accurate..

😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘The real olympic battle: Yorkshire vs Lancashire’ is closed to new replies.