Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • The random questions regarding Limpic sports about which you know little thread.
  • jfletch
    Free Member

Boxing is the only sport left that stiplulates amateur status (although a lot of people don’t do the more minor sports for a living).

But that isn’t realy due to the money, more that amateur boxing is almost a completely different sport to profesional boxing with different rules etc.

crazy-legs

Bit of a thread resurrection.
    What is going on with the archery? That’s not a longbow, that’s a piece of carbon fibre scaffolding! What’s with all the extensions and angle measurement things and the cradle that holds the arrow?

I used to really like archery, my Grandfather had a traditional wooden longbow and a very long garden – spent many happy hours as a kid firing down that although my Grandfather used to worry no end about me putting an arrow through one of his greenhouses…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why is there one volleyballist wearing a different colour shirt to the rest?

Cougar

One does not ‘fire’ arrows.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ooooh, get you mr tetchy archer girlfriend 🙂

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Beat me to it 😀

wwaswas

Maybe there are groups of ‘night archers’ stalking our woods once all the odd blokes on bikes have left?

and there’s forums with ‘what kerosene for’ threads?

matt_outandabout

So why if the swimmers wear all these super-snug, uber-fabric, super-slippy swimsuits do they all wear goggles that stick out?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shooting next:

In the trap shooting, every do often I see the British guy standing with his arm out, hand up (in the manner of someone stopping traffic). What’s he up to? Where are the pigeons coming from? I can’t see any machine.

Also, what’s in the shotgun cartridges? I take it lead shot isn’t used anymore? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

What is going on with the archery? That’s not a longbow, that’s a piece of carbon fibre scaffolding!

That’s the equivalent of formula 1 in archery, all the technology. There are about as many classes of archery as there are motorsport, including longbow, which is for the diehard traditionalists from 300 years ago, or the wannabe Elronds.

donsimon
    Free Member

Is there a guide that’ll show me which event is being shown on what channel at any given time?
    BBC is crap.

colournoise

molgrips – Member
    including longbow, which is for the diehard traditionalists from 300 years ago, or the wannabe Elronds.

Nah, the elves all use recurves too. Although at a pinch it could be a Welsh longbow.

slainte 😀 rob

Mintman
    Free Member

Women’s team sprint:

In the final (I’ve not seen the other races) in each pair the lead rider had a front wheel with spokes and a solid rear but the rear rider had 2 solid wheels.

Is this coincidence or is there some rule/performance/aerodynamic reason for this?

Cougar

I think it’s personal preference. I asked Ed Clancy (clang) the same question and I think that’s the explanation I got.

Cougar

In the trap shooting, every do often I see the British guy standing with his arm out, hand up (in the manner of someone stopping traffic). What’s he up to?

He’s got marks on his hand, which he uses to work out where to direct the gun for the start of the shot.

ebygomm
    Free Member

In Boxing do both losing semi finalists get a bronze? No play off for third place?

aracer
    Free Member

In Boxing do both losing semi finalists get a bronze? No play off for third place?

Yes. I think it’s because in boxing the loser might be damaged enough by the contest not to be able to compete again. An interesting point to raise with the supporters of boxing…

CountZero

What is going on with the archery? That’s not a longbow, that’s a piece of carbon fibre scaffolding! What’s with all the extensions and angle measurement things and the cradle that holds the arrow?

At Olympic and international competition level a conventional longbow is nowhere near accurate enough, plus competition bows have replaceable limbs so the bow can be tuned exactly to the archer’s stature and build, so draw length and weight can be perfectly set up.
    The riser used to be either laminated and carved wood or cast alloy, but those Win&Win bows are all carbon.
    The sticky-out jobbies are just dampers to reduce string vibration and improve accuracy.
    Or so I’ve been led to understand; it’s been many, many years since I did any archery.
    http://www.win-archery.com/

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘The random questions regarding Limpic sports about which you know little thread.’ is closed to new replies.