• This topic has 58 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • The Racing Post……shall we bring it back?
  • leggyblonde
    Free Member

oops, double post

crosshair
    Free Member

@Leggyblonde As I say, I’m not trying to undermine the efforts of the volunteers but as with most things in life, it takes pretty much the same or very often less effort to do something properly as it does to do it half arsed.

They do the results on a laptop, I would imagine on a spreadsheet. Why not save it on Dropbox and publish a read-only link to the file to make the provisional results instantly accessible?

I’ve been trying to work out how to start a more grass roots (cat 5 anyone?) crit series, perhaps based around industrial estates or a gravel bike type race similar to SPAM’s winter challenge but encompassing the rest of Salisbury Plain so perhaps 2015 could be the year, who knows 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Crosshair, good for you for looking into organsing some racing 😀

Unfortunately, the volunteers often do everything as properly as they can but when the race is hit by a storm, racers have horrendous handwriting and there are 200+ people harrassing the 3 sign on staff, things can go awry…

I organised the London League round 7 which had electronic tags etc and we are still sorting out the results due to the weather etc. A system is only as good as it’s weakest link. Most CX races that I enter provide provisional results first.

crosshair
    Free Member

Anyway, sorry for the derail- I can’t relax until I know the results 😀

Turns out it was my best result of the season with 28th out of 48 starters. Who knows, might make the top half by next season 😉 😀

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

First CX race in Belgium at the weekend, 8th place in Masters B in the Vlaamse Cyclocrosscup in Uitbergen.

Great laugh, thoroughly recommended to anyone wanting a “real” CX experience.

10 euros to enter the area, regardless of whether you raced or not, then 5 euros back on return of your number, and I got 5 euros in prize money, mental!

0 meters elevation gain for the entire race according to Strava.

Is this thread just for ‘cross, or does mountain bike orienteering count as racing too. 😉
    Looks like a good turnout in Loughborough tomorrow.
    http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/entrant_list.php?event_id=563

I’ll take the absence of a No as a Yes then. 😛
    9th overall, 3rd M50.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/224915763

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Sooooo, regional champs. How did everyone do?

I managed 4th senior at the South East and East race which I’m pleased with. Fowlmead is a great course; some very technical bits which suit me linked with power sections which make it damn hard all round! I was dearly hoping that one of the lead 3 would have a mechanical as that’s the only way I would have ended up with a medal…

2tyred

20th in the Scottish up at Banchory, on what might be the Surly SS clunker’s last race outing.

Pretty consistent with the rest of this season – not terrible but not great either. Cracking day but very very cold.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Good work guys!

TiRed

18th out of about 70 in the 40-49 veterans Central League Race at Hillingdon this afternoon. First cross race. Not sure which garnered the most attention; striped socks or the SS mtb with cross tyres and odd handlebars. I believe oldgit raced too. Anyone else?

Jase
    Free Member

Hillingdon was the first central league round I’ve missed this year.

oldgit
    Free Member

Raced as in ‘was there’ been ill since October. Very poor ride but I was buzzing like a good’un to be riding again. Saw you and the bike, sort of couldn’t miss it.

Jase if you want to relive it, half of Hillingdon is in my front garden.

Everyman and his dog went past me today, it was very humbling, but I’ll be back.

Jase
    Free Member

Ha ha, yes heard it was muddy with lots of people breaking stuff.

TiRed

Just rinsed the rest of Hillingdon off my bike. And pulled 3m of tape off the back freewheel. I think i was the only singlespeed rider today, and by the attrition, two broken mechs on the warm up lap, this looked a good choice. The three inches of mud clearance meant i was never going to have problems, just had to wait for those in front to have mechanicals. I only cleaned it out of kindness, because it was perfectly ready to go again without fettling. I also rode three warm up laps without cleaning off the mud too. So singlespeed, hydraulic deores and front suspension.

Not really sure what to make of cross to be honest, raced E12/3 circuit also at Hillingdon yesterday, and chose this over the Gorrick because our club were hosts. Yesterday’s race saw a rider cross the line upside down mid air but the racing was thrilling. Today was more like a mtb race without any climbs. Or trees.

Might be back. Or stick to road and mtb.

oldgit
    Free Member

Not a course to judge things on to be fair. Only half the laps usually completed? That course needs to be dry and ridden fast to be at it’s best IMO.
    Yes a flat course. Also if I were to miss any out of choice it would be Hillingdon.
    Today was a non counter for me, just a spin after so long off. I’d never treat any other courses with such disdain.

Welwyn next for me, time to get some fitness back and a corker of a course.

Jase
    Free Member

That photo of the Hillingdon finish yesterday is amazing

oldgit
    Free Member

TiRed that was you today wasn’t it, I didn’t click until I was almost home. I was looking out for the socks earlier as well.
    Sorry I really didn’t mean to come across so rude, totally ####ed but not rude.

TiRed

Yes it was. Felt much better than last time out. Finished 22nd overall, apparently. Wrong gear choice, should have gone for 54 inches instead of 57.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘The Racing Post……shall we bring it back?’ is closed to new replies.