Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 234 total)
  • The Racing Post – CX Season has begun
  • simondbarnes

1st round of the NWCCA league today at Avenham Park, Preston. Very, very slippery, muddy course. I floundered around somewhere near the rear of the field, was good to be back on a cross course though having taken last year out. Anyone else race today?

1st race of the season by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Results just out. I was a stunning 114th / 125 finishers 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

After seeing the photos of the park (and it being the furthest away by some margin)I decided to give it a miss.
    Shiney (and now muddy) new bike Mr B 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Couple of weeks for me, given the bike a long overdue ‘tart up’ looks faster now which is very important.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    taxi25
    Free Member

First round of the welsh series for me at Llantarnam.
    90 riders on an amazingly dry course. The leaders weren’t troubled by my presense eirher.

rp16v
    Free Member

trying to arange transport for the first bristol race on the 30th at the mo.

vegasdave
    Free Member

I’ve done the last two Derby/Notts rounds….in glorious sunshine….I don’t trouble the leaders either….still enjoyed the beginning of my CX “career”.

brakes
    Free Member

blimey popeye, you should pedal with your arms.

grum
    Free Member

Was in Avenham Park the other day trying to take some scenic pics for Lancs CC. The place looks like a war zone after the guild festival! Looks completely ruined!

ourmaninthenorth

Great stuff. Having to miss the season, but did contemplate coming to watch.

I’ll come to some other rounds and shout at you..!

meehaja
    Free Member

was just looking at CX photos here. Also from preston I think?

I might do one race this year, we’ll see how it goes!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Building up my cross bike at the moment after being in Sicily for 2 weeks.

Have missed 2 or 3 cross races in bristol i think. Need to get on an order some tyres

heard that lots of roadies keep falling off 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

5 races so far for me
    2 Notts and Derby, 2 West Mids and a floodlit one over at Leicester
    2 3rds a 6th and a 7th in Grand Vets so far

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

First two races in the national series this weekend.

Placed 8th and 9th in Superclass, pleased with the way my bike, body, and brain all worked well together, especially Sunday. Also pleased my new Tufo Cubus tubs stayed glued on at 27psi.

oldgit
    Free Member

Underway here in the Central League, with a warm dry fast round one done.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Break this weekend after 4 races in sunshine in ndcxl. Didn’t get out on cx bike today so will no doubt suffer even more in the mud next week :S

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Three rounds in for me and I’d say quite successful. Regular top 10 finishes in my class so overall very happy. 😀

Today’s round in Poole was very tough. More of an XC course with a very hard fire road back section with a brutal head wind. 😕

Also racing the evening GWR series in Swindon 4th in class in the first round and a top 10 last week.

Last week’s soggy mud fest in Swindon for the combined Wessex/ Western league round.

Photo taken by Graham Robins. http://www.grahamrobins.net/%5D

simondbarnes

Weekend off here as it’s 3 Peaks weekend so no local race. Did race last weekend though in the NWCCA round 2 in Bolton. Finished 6 places higher despite a larger field (158 starters iirc – >20 more than previous round)

DSC_0219

hammerite
    Free Member

You looked like you were going well Oldgit. I had a stinker, hurt my back a couple of weeks back and it’s still not right. DNF’d after 45 mins.

I’ve struggled to get out for the last couple of months and it showed yesterday. Will probably give the other races a miss for a month or so to build my fitness back up. Probably won’t make my 6 races to complete the league.

oldgit
    Free Member

You looked like you were going well Oldgit.

If only you knew, had been off work I was so ill so it was stupid to race. Had to hold my head afterwards I was coughing so much, still am.

Who’s nice Condor was that on your car?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone from bristol fancy sharing a lift to the GWR series on thursday?

Will be my 1st cx race this season

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Is there any reason one can’t just show up at a league event with a BC provision license, say hello, and race (badly)?

oldgit
    Free Member

You don’t even need a license to do that 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

3rd London League. My first time at Happy Valley. Despite being pretty flat it was bloomin’ hard work with no opportunity to recover and the head wind made it tough too. Quite happy with 22nd overall out of 135 but having a cold took the edge off a bit.

Just finished, no bike cleaning, bonus!

weeble
    Free Member

First CX season for me, hardly any riding or racing in the past year has meant I’m consistently at the back of the vets field of the West Mids League but loving it so far

alwillis

New to racing this year, but Wellington 2 weeks ago and then the Wareham forest pseudo MTB race last weekend have been a great intro. Any training/ random tips welcome!

For once I wish I was a girl though- the missus is also a newbie, but keeps walking away with cash and prizes in the ladies class- thats her reward for chasing me evry ride we go on!

aP
    Free Member

Standing miserably in a field this weekend as a marshal. got away at about 5pm.
    2 weeks time will be 2nd race this year, then comm-ing at Hemel then race at re-venued Thame race, commi-ing at Musdy Hell, then racing Rapha Super Cross.
    My 3 aims as in all these things are: stay upright, finish & don’t be sick. I know I’ll never trouble the upper echelons 😐

oldgit
    Free Member

Thanks for the cheers aP. Finished right down the back, but I think I was still high on night nurse and thought I was doing okay 😐

aP
    Free Member

No worries, you did give me a funny look on one lap!

dobo
    Free Member

My first cx this year at wareham forest, was a decent course, was tough though, but they all are right? even the flat sports center fields..

had a total nightmare, for some reason my chain decided to pop off on ever single time down the bobly off road decent… hope to get this fixed for eastleigh on sunday where i may make up 1 place lol

so whats eastleigh cx course like?

vegasdave
    Free Member

I’m really enjoying my first season of Cross..Done 3 Notts/Derby races and trying a NW event this Sunday.

simondbarnes

and trying a NW event this Sunday.

I’ll be there for that one. New venue for me so no idea what it’ll be like.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

trickydisco, I would advise pre entering for Thursday night. It’s getting very popular and only 60 places available on a first come, first serve basis.

vegasdave
    Free Member

I’ll look out for you,Simon..I’m the scrawny,old giffer in a Goldtec top

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Our North Wales series starts on Sunday. Can’t wait to feel the pain…..

carbon337
    Free Member

2nd CX Race – got a 10th first time a few weeks back and 4th this weekend. Both at Hetton nr Sunderland. The One Peak of Hetton TLI race.

Some Scottish guy won on a singlespeed.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bloody good going.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

My club’s president is lending me his Ti SS so looks like I’ll be riding a few events… might have a crack at the Rapha supercross

kamina
    Free Member

I’m having a big urge to buy a CX bike and threads like this are not helping. 🙄

A bike shop near me is going bankrupt and has a new Giant TCX 1 in my size for about 60% off.. I’ve been telling myself it’s not a good idea since it does not have eyelets for fenders.

carbon337
    Free Member

You won’t need then for cross racing anyway.

kamina
    Free Member

Ah, wrong thread 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘The Racing Post – CX Season has begun’ is closed to new replies.