Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The puzzle of my dreambike…
  • starman
    Free Member

I’m trying to figure out what would be the best mtb for me. I have an old Gary Fisher mt tam 29er. I think the frame dates back from 2002. It has a Marzochii Bomber MXR air front suspension, a 1×10 Shimano ZEE drivetrain with an 11-23 tooth casette, shimano deore/XT rim brakes, and Schwalbe marathon road tires.

I’ve rebuild this bike mainly for commuting, but recently I’ve started going off road with it as well.

I’m looking for a true allrounder. Since I’ll by mostly commuting on my bike, once a week I’ll be riding some trails and I might use it as a touring bike with rear rack and trailer during vacations. I’d like it to be capable of handling all three. I’m not an advanced mtb’er, and I live in the Netherlands so the occasionally mountain here is more likely to be a hill. Nevertheless I’d like to drive up some stair with it…

Keeping it light would be useful since I have to lift my bike up on a flight of stairs to my appartement due to theft in my area.

Finally I prefer simplicity over high tech.

So far I figured I could go for a Trek Farley 5. Rigid bike, with tubeless tires and either a 1 by drivetrain or convert it to SS. The fat tires would be capable of handling the dunes in my area with a low PSI, and the pavement with a high PSI. They’d also make up for the lack off suspension.

I’m curious to your opinions!

prawny

I’d say your dream bike would be two bikes.

I have a Aggro HT with 140mm fork that does for long and short off road rides, and a road disc commuter.

For me, one bike would be too much of a compromise for either, but total spend on the two wasn’t much more than £1000.

If I only had room for one bike it’s be something like a fat bike with some fat non fat wheels as a spare or the Sonder 29er with two sets of wheels, but whatever I’d budget for two sets of wheels, 2 sets of disc brake rotors and 2 cassettes.

2 bikes seems like much less of a faff.

molgrips
    Free Member

29+ rigid?

Or you could get a 650b+ bike and keep some 29er normal wheels for commuting, with slicks on.

NormalMan

Solaris Max with 2 wheel sets?

dovebiker

IME 29+ sometimes copes on sand, but not in the same way that 4″ tyres – if dune riding is a must, then perhaps a Farley with a second pair of suitably shod 29+ or 29er wheels? I’d suggest you test ride a 29+ like a Stache on the sand to see how it copes and take it from there?

starman
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like a second bike or wheelset might be the better choice.

Any thoughts on SS on flatland?

And riding my bike up/down small staircases? What would be most important to consider?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Or you could get a 650b+ bike and keep some 29er normal wheels for commuting, with slicks on.

Genesis Longitude + extra 29er tubeless wheelset with hub generator and commuting tyres . On budget?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The puzzle of my dreambike…’ is closed to new replies.