Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The Puffer!
  • readikus

Is anyone up in Strathpeffer? What’s the weather like? Is it white anywhere?

Photos would make my Friday 🙂

devs
    Free Member

I’m 50 odd miles away. It’s iron hard with compact ice and fresh snow on top according to people who were there yesterday. I really don’t want to use ice spikers but I suspect I’ll have to.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Today… 20/01/13…running nice.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJ11SLOvf8[/video]

matt_outandabout

Do remember that from Stirling to Puffer area is due 10-20cm of snow overnight tomorrow…

scoobmw
    Free Member

Anyone seen the course today after the last couple of days of snow. Did the snow hit Contin too

rugbydick

The live road camera about 10 miles away (North West) from Contin isn’t showing too much snow on the ground.

Look for the camera at “A835 Aultguish East” on http://trafficscotland.org

epicyclo

Just been round.

Only old snow, well compacted on about 1/3 of the course. Mainly top fireroad and first technical bit.

Only problem is that it has been getting a bit of sun and is getting slick in places.

I was able to ride most of it on my fatbike, but in places it felt safer to walk on the technical bits because the slick ice was usually just where my wheels tended to land. More skilful riders probably wouldn’t have a problem, but skill seems to be something I get short of after the first 10 hours or so. 🙂

If I had my studded tyres on then no problem.

If the weather doesn’t change, I recommend studs or at least decent size lugs on the tyres.

Right now probably the ideal bike is a CX with snow studs 🙂

initialsbb
    Free Member
    scoobmw
    Free Member

Yep.
    BBC noting chance of light snow extending far enough west to Contin but looking unlikely now that there’ll be more snow added before the Sat start.
    I guess if it gets some traffic along it in next day or two it’ll be broken up a fair bit, and lines will form avoiding any left over sheet ice.
    Soon find out 🙂
    Ice Spikers might come off tonight though 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Right now probably the ideal bike is a CX with snow studs”

reckon i could get round on a roadrat with wintermarathons on 😉

whats the fire road for parking like ? do we bother trying to take a RWD transit camper up or would it be sensible to locate a trailer for the 4WD ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

CX bike is probably always best for Puffer.

devs
    Free Member

I’m holding out with Aspens on. I’d welcome snow as it brings the roadies in disguise closer to my level but at the moment the ice spikers are staying off. Fatbike going just in case the metcheck forecast comes true.

rugbydick

@trail_rat:
    Terry, see you’re signed up for the quads. Dave Smith and I are signed up as a pair.
    Look out for my Transporter and come say hello.

trail_rat
    Free Member

excellent.

im just doing it for craik with a few mates so look out for a burgandy vehicle wrecklessly abandoned in the ditch – possibly sideways as both are RWD

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Terry you bringing your fatbike too? I’ll pinch it incase of emergency ;-).

trail_rat
    Free Member

i shall be , its unlikely itll go out on a lap though if its ice rather than snow.

bedmaker

Just had a couple of laps.

Still rock hard apart from one section down off view rock which is wet.
    If it stays as it is then a middle of the road XC tyre should be fine NN or similar.

I had spikes on and was glad of them but it would be quite manageable without them. Here’s hoping the cold stays.

Looking at the forecast, I just hope we don’t get sleet on sat night. Sleet is the worst, yuk.

[/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

Good to see the swivel chair sorted 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Two sets of wheels for me, one spiked one not.

Glad to hear it’s not so icy, my sphincter has only just recovered from 2011. Reckon there’ll be more ice by Saturday?

Phil_H

Looks like I might get to use the ice spikers I got for last year then.

Alek
    Free Member

Hi John. Cheers for up-date. All I can think off now is ‘bottle’!!

A little sleet/snow, packed onto hard trails by ‘practice laps’ and it’ll be perfect for Phil_H 🙂

Where did I put my ice spikers………

scoobmw
    Free Member

Bottle – good idea. Single malt variety the night before !!

epicyclo

Was helping set up the track tonight. A few people were going round and found it slippery. One lad with ice tyres came off.

It’s icy. It’s thin and will probably break up after a few laps and create a line, but I’d recommend bringing ice tyres if possible.

breadcrumb

If I had some I would. I’ll have to rely on my cat like skills, I’m pretty much screwed then!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bleurgh

If no one minds I’ll use this as one last opportunity to make everyone aware of what two pairs are doing at the Puffer this weekend. We only (only!?) need to raise an extra £2200 (plus gift aid) to break a total of £20,000. If you can help (and I know some on here already have, so thank you) please do.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/riders-down-mountain-rescue-fundraiser-please-help

http://www.justgiving.com/Luke-Bradley

rickmeister

Another bump for Munrobiker and the fundraiser…

Looking like part of the challenge is getting there, from the news and forecast today delivered by the lovely Catriona Shearer…

breadcrumb

On our way up, still over 200 miles to go and the roads are looking very dodgy.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It anyone wants to say hi to us then we are on these bikes. I know bikes are easier to remember than faces!

Huw

Oli

Luke

kennyp
    Free Member

On our way. Currently in Aviemore and its a tad chilly!

scoobmw
    Free Member

Hurry up and get the kettle on Kenny.

Northwind

Oh yeah- if anyone’s passing through Edinburgh on the way up and is desperately regretting not having ice tyres, give us a shout, got a brand new ice spiker in the garage (and a barely used snow stud, which is pish)

Chipbutty
    Free Member

4.5 deg and raining just now 5 miles away from Contin

rickmeister

Also bringing 2 brand new Ice Spikers, just look for the Black T5 parked on the track..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The Puffer!’ is closed to new replies.