Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The psychology of moving house….
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Anybody cracked it to the point of seeing it as a positive.Really want to avoid my upcoming move feeling like a chore.

maccruiskeen

I’ve never really considered it a chore. But then over a 19 year period I moved house 15 times so I guess I’m just match-fit.

tjagain

Been a while for me but I just accepted it as a process to go thru. some things you have to accept – you can’t change them

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Wow,big respect to macc!

nealglover
    Free Member

I actually enjoy moving house now. If it’s a choice, it should be enjoyable, otherwise don’t do it.

My record is 10 house moves in 5 years. But that was when I was renting, and it wasn’t my choice.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Stating the obvious but grind it out, it’s a bridge to better things.

Most people IME get disproportionately emotional over house moves (forced moves excepted) and building work. As much as they are a ballache and tiring, once through things improve in the long term and you never look back.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have always moved usually every three years or less. It was fun for the most part. Think of it as moving on to greener pastures and a chance to re-connect/Live In The Now.

However, unforeseen circumstances meant we moved house three times in 7 months last winter/Spring. First two were just 5 weeks apart. The third move was the very worst.

Small boxes and take it loooong and easy. Give yourself time x 3. Have a ‘packing party’ invite some friends over. A group of friends saved me from utter meltdown at the 11th hr by showing up and loading the Luton in about an hour
    and a half.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Take the opportunity to get rid of loads of clutter. If you can’t get rid of 15 full bin bags of rubbish, including one of part worn tyres you can’t remember buying and punctured tubes you haven’t any use for, you aren’t trying hard enough.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

But think of all those split tubes that could be used by others for ghetto tubeless! 😉

Been over 10 years since I last moved, last time it really helped starting to pack ~1 month ahead of the move, being ruthless with anything surplus and taking it off to local charity shops. They can even use rubbish clothes, they won’t stick them in the shop, but they can get a few pennies for them for rags.

Think of all the negatives about the current place, like noisy neighbours. Think of positives of moving, like being closer to nice cycle routes, better internet speed/reliability, escaping your nutcase ex etc. 😆

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you can’t get rid of 15 full bin bags of rubbish

I had 15 trips to the tip with a full pickup truck!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I hate to think how many car loads we took to the tip when we moved a few months ago – but t’other half had lived in the same house since he was 8. We then had to do the whole house emptying thing all over again as my mum died recently.
    I am now pretty ruthless about not keeping stuff “just in case” !!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I agree. All those things that “might come in handy…”
    Bin ’em, or Charity shop them. It’s cathartic!
    If you want to Ebay them, start low, and start 6 months in advance, otherwise it’s just hassle you don’t really need.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Umm…good points guys.Think I,ll start throwing stuff out tonight.Might also bin a number of embarrassments!Also,I should ease some charity shops.

mechanicaldope

I used to throw away any box that I hadn’t opened since my previous move. Worked quite well apart from disposing of my birth certificate.

Drac

Moving this to chat i hope you can cope.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Don’t forget you can use Freecycle, saves the effort of taking stuff to charity shops or the tip!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Thanks also for the tips, moving on Friday so massive clearance commenced on this weekend.
    Was helped by my nephew today who was paid with a 1990s Technics stereo, well happy he was too. Not sure I gained any good feelings from my sister though…
    Garden done, garage next, this could be painful. But loft has a secret stash of skis so may have to wait for mrsdts to pop out for a tip run.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

My last “do it in one go” move was flat to house, so 12-15 bags was pretty much the contents of one room. There were only 4 to choose from.
    The last big move, i have no idea how many trips i did as the move was 6 months in the planning and execution. So probably every other trip to the shops involved dumping something somewhere. (Tip, Charity, Mates)

Some things i actually had to rebuy as it turned out they weren’t quite as unneeded as i thought. 😳

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The psychology of moving house….’ is closed to new replies.