Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The pros and cons of cleaning a chain with white spirit, discuss!
  • djen83
    Free Member

It’s the only thing I can find that shifts the muck – I only clean it every 6 months or so, so it’s seriously lodged!

It’s on my road bike with a cheapo drive train so not too worried about longevity!

neninja
    Free Member

Works for me. Every month or so take the chain off (use a KMC quick link) and put it in a jam jar of white spirit. Give it a really good shake and leave it for an hour.

Take it out and clean it with degreaser, let it dry in the sun or with a hair-dryer and soak it with Prolink Progold.

End up with one super clean quiet running chain.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I give mine a quick scoosh of GT85 after every ride, chains tend to last many 1000’s of miles for me without issues.

The most important thing is to drive out the moisture and give it some sort of lube.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Ultrasonic bath form Lidl helps.

crikey
    Free Member

Use dry lube; saves all that fannying about.

neilferther
    Free Member

Use “Elbow Grease” 99p from poundland, It is water soluble, as is “Clean Spirit” £2.99 from the hardware shop.

retro83
    Free Member

“Gunk” engine cleaner spray from Wilkos is good. Costs £2 or £3. Works really well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

clean a chain? I’d rather just buy a new chain and cassette every year.

Northwind

Pros: Works. Chain may last longer, if the crap you’re removing is the right sort of crap.
    Cons: None, as long as you lube the chain properly afterwards.

Paraffin is cheaper than white spirit, most places, but you’ll end up with a bigger bottle (which will last until the end of time)

djen83
    Free Member

Thanks, was concerned about corrosion but nobody has mentioned it…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The pros and cons of cleaning a chain with white spirit, discuss!’ is closed to new replies.