Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The Prodigy – De constructed with Ableton
  • U31
    Free Member

Smack my bitch up was pretty original at the time. right?
    Err wrong!

All the samples used are deconstructed here, Smack My Bitch up

Butttttt… Remember this was done before Ableton live, with Hardware samplers, making it even more remarkable in my eyes!

MSP

No shit sherlock, prodigy in sampling shocker!

Although some of that is clearly bs, the amount of tweaking and rearranging done is akin to saying two guitarists play the same notes, but in a different order so they must be copying each other 😯

vdubber67
    Free Member

Was it definately done with hardware? I know it wouldn't have been done in Ableton of course, but you could have done it in any of the DAWs around at the time – Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic etc.

Cool vid tho (not that I'd use Ableton even these days!)

U31
    Free Member

Its not the fact they were sampling, it was the sheer amount of them used in that tune, a testament to how well it works as i'd never gave a thought until i stumbled on that clip.

And for those who say Ableton makes it easy, lets see your efforts!

Dubber, not 100% sure so dont quote me, what i was told at the time but your suggestions make sense, and if it was available i'd bet theyd take advantage

yunki
    Free Member

wow.. quite an impressive demonstration..

I have mates who have vested interests in sampling technology and making dance music..
    To see the depth of sophistication and complexity that goes into layering up a track kind of explains why no-one ever sees these guys outside of the studio.. and why they all have pale skin and big sunken eyes and hollow cheeks…

I'm sure there would be a market for
    'ableton stole my life' type t-shirt designs….

nice to get the ID of the sheila chandry sample too

thanks

U31
    Free Member

Hell yeah, roger that! I have an acquaintance who is highly talented, ill try to find samples to his stuff, but to give you an idea, i'm sure America got Talent used a rework he did of that guy singing "Pants On The Ground"

Single?
    Yup….

Timbo doin wot e does

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Liam Howlett, talented bloke, remember interview with him at the time about his kit and approach, not unlike Norman Cook

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I've been toying with doing a short college course to learn about Ableton & MIDI music production.
    That video's put me off – looks **** hard! 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Very cool and inspiring vid! Ableton seems like good stuff, I'm just using Reaper at the minute but might give that a go.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Wow. It gives at least some insight into how the song was constructed. Fascinating stuff.

grumm
    Free Member

Pretty sure it will have been sequenced on a computer – MIDI from the sequencer triggering hardware synths and samplers etc

Cubase VST had just come out in 1997 🙂

Lots of people used to use Cubase on the Atari ST!

Ableton is a superb piece of software though imo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘The Prodigy – De constructed with Ableton’ is closed to new replies.