Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • the price of enduro events, and others too?
  • dazh

lemme guess, you’re so quick you don’t need timing?

? Dunno, I’ve never done a GE, or a downhill race. My point was not to hype up my largely non-existant downhill prowess, but to say that there are affordable events out there if you’re not bothered about your downhill times being measured against other peoples. IME most of the people who do these events do them not to race but to discover some new trails in new areas, and to ride stuff they otherwise wouldn’t be able to because it’s on private land.

jam-bo

Why doesn’t everyone just ride round fields?

how much is mountain mayhem entry?

jam-bo

IME most of the people who do these events do them not to race

? Dunno, I’ve never done a GE, or a downhill race.

so you don’t have much experience then…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xanboy
    Free Member

I know they are different events but I’ve paid £30 for the CyB Enduro, but I’d have paid more as they are really well organised. I’ve just paid £35 for the privilege of doing a Marathon round CyB next year, if you did those events over a weekend and added the 2 days together you’d have about the same figure as has been quoted sounds ok to me.
    I’ve raced since the beginning of the 90’s and used to pay £20-£25 for a 2 hour xc race, so 3 days worth of riding for £65 seems pretty good value to me.

jonnouk
    Free Member

It used to cost me £45 for bit of practice+3hr race, or £30 for several hours practice. Granted, that was motorbike #enduro.

Follow the link, you can get a full day of uplift for £25. [/quote]

But I’ve got an engine?

As for the non-motorised enduros, my brothers help out every now and then and are paid around x2 the race entry. I’m quite keen on getting in on it tbh, they don’t make it sound like it’s work.

wrecker
    Free Member

£65 seems pretty reasonable to me all things considered. For 3 days entertainment, it’s quite good value in fact.

Honestly if you want to moan go out into the woods and talk to the trees.

It is not for you to decide what someone writes on this forum. Others have opinions and they are just as valid as yours. Like it or not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

true wrecker, but when it starts at moaning about one thing, then moves on to moaning about another then the price of shorts comes across as someone just wanting to moan about everything.

dazh

so you don’t have much experience then…

Really not looking for an argument. Bit too busy this morning. If commenting on the price of GEs is only allowed if you’ve done one then fine, I’ll shut up 🙂

klumpy
    Free Member

The motorcycle enduro club I ride with charge 30 quid for a race or practice day, plus 3 quid for non-members, plus three quid if you enter on the day. Even including the petrol it seems cheaper than most MTB “enduro”.
    Despite them needing motorsport levels of insurance.
    And fewer entrants means less economy of scale.
    And they need to regrade a lot of the track (if not all of it) to the condition they found it.
    And quite possibly had to build a lot of the track just for that weekend.
    And they use transponder timing, and it works.

Oh, and on the motorbike you only change your tyres when they’re worn out, not because this track is 3% less moist than the last one you rode! 😀

dazh

how much is mountain mayhem entry?

£75 for a soloist this year. Pretty good value I’d say for 24 hours of riding, even if it was around the same course and half of it in a state of sleep-deprived vacant-ness.

Northwind

It’s not so much allowed/not allowed, it’s just that you’ve got some misconceptions about the events, it’s really not about “proving how gnar you are” for a lot of people… I get why it might look that way but even at national level there’s a huge range of skills and mindsets, that’s one of the things that makes enduro so good.

I feel like a **** in an SDA race or similiar because I’m always going to be a mid-pack and that just feels pointless in downhill- it’s all about the winning, it seemed to me. So I sacked it off after a few goes. But enduros offer a lot more fun and reward for the pack, it’s a much wider experience. And even for the fast boys it’s a different experience to downhill, much less the chase for perfection and obsession.

I guess it’s like marathon racing in that respect, everyone’s having a good ride, they’re just not having the same ride, the fast boys want to smash it out but it takes nothing away from the people in the short race who’ll be relieved to survive.

wrecker
    Free Member

true wrecker, but when it starts at moaning about one thing, then moves on to moaning about another then the price of shorts comes across as someone just wanting to moan about everything.

Some people just like a good moan! And they are allowed to!
    Things which some find fair or arbitrary at worst, really offends others.
    I have some triggers which many would think unreasonable but they are completely rational to me.

dazh

The gnarr point was tongue in cheek TBH, should’ve added a smiley thing. Anyway, my only point is that for me these things are about riding new trails/areas where otherwise I probably wouldn’t bother. If I can do that for £25 as part of an MTB ‘sportive’ I’ll do that as opposed to spending £65 on a GE. I don’t know if $60-70 is a fair price for GEs. I suspect it is, but the price still puts me off. But then again I’m not bothered about being timed on the downhills.

footstomper
    Free Member

Was speaking with one of my MTB buddies last night after our weekly ride and he has just paid nearly £300 for entry into a Big Triathlon somewhere 😯 wasn’t listening properly after he told me the amount was too gobsmacked 😥

legend
    Free Member

klumpy – Member

The motorcycle enduro club I ride with charge 30 quid for a race or practice day, plus 3 quid for non-members, plus three quid if you enter on the day. Even including the petrol it seems cheaper than most MTB “enduro”.

and for a more useful comparison, how much would a round of a national series cost?

nickc

It costs a small fortune to have accurate and reliable timing at events

sort of…. I organise running events, the chip timing we use costs about £500-£600 for 300-500 runners depending…

The single biggest cost is people’s time, it’s massively massively stressful and time consuming to put on events, there’s so so many things that need organising and sorting out, road closures, sponsorships, trade, refreshments, loos, tape, banners…and so on and on and on. the lists are literally endless. It’s like having an unpaid second job. Having said that for the last little race I organised (a little local 10k) I managed to raise £3500 in sponsorship, and charged entrants £10-12 (depending on day entrants, affiliation etc etc), so £65.00 for a three day event is pretty good value IMO.

Still a handful of cash though

mtbmatt
    Free Member

sort of…. I organise running events, the chip timing we use costs about £500-£600 for 300-500 runners depending…

That type of chip timing has been proven to be inaccurate for high level enduro events.
    It suits mass participation and multi-lap events, but not races where winning margins are sometimes within seconds.

Accurate light beam timing as seen at DH and top level enduro events is several thousand.

nickc

Matt, it’s the first thing on the list of “Things the sponsor will pay for” 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

It suits mass participation and multi-lap events, but not races where winning margins are sometimes within seconds.

Chip timing has no problems providing the accuracy you mention.
    My guess is that it’s more a problem of the speed the chip passes the sensor being too fast for it to register reliably.
    Possibly it could be solved by just having a really sharp 180 degree turn at the finish with a funnel, so that riders have no choice but to scrub all speed before crossing the line.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We tested matt/chip stuff and it does work well, but it doesn’t trip like beam breaking stuff as there is slight ambiguity in when it registers. He did high speed, low speed jumping over etc. It’s good but not 0.01s differences that you get with the beam stuff but the price and the amount of man power required make chips a better option for most things.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If you had entered during the first few years, or other events such as Kona Mash-up where timing was best described as a cock-up then you wouldn’t say that.

Chip timing failed repeatedly. The accuracy is 1 second, so results to 10th or 100th or even 1000th of a second are not possible. Plus there are issues with transceivers etc needed to communicate with each other and the speeds of riders passing the equipment.

Reliable results are one of two ways, light beam or dibbers. Both have pluses and minuses.
    RFID and J-chip systems simply can’t cope with the demands of most GE events.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Doing the Great North Run on Sunday and that was £60 to enter and that has far more entrants and sponsorship deals on the table.

Probably far more costs too but my point is the price is comparable to an Enduro national level event

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did the first 2 UK GE’s in the who knows who won days, that system really didn’t seem to cope.
    This was using a different set up and we had a good go at the testing.

tomhoward

It’s £10 just to watch a tough mudder race, plus parking, plus food, plus…

Northwind

mtbmatt – Member

Reliable results are one of two ways, light beam or dibbers.

EWS uses a contactless chip system, seems to work reliably. Even when someone in the knobber end of the field accidentally punches one of the beacons off a tree.

ton

mikewsmith…..you seem to have a problem, with my moaning about something i think is expensive.
    why?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

£65 bloody pounds to ride your bike for a day…….eh!!!!!

but having you pants dropped and being dry bummed is a bit off….no?

a audax ride costs £5 with a nice buffet tea at the finish.

i reckon the prices are so expensive because it is what is fashionable now in cycling, enduro’s and sportives.

also while we are on the subject, why is enduro specific clothing more expensive than normal cycling clobber?

It just looks like you wanted to moan, and then moan some more and some more. I’ve met people who organise races, they are not dry bumming people they are putting on events, it takes time, it takes effort, it takes money. Very few will ever get rich from it, most do it because it’s a sport they love yet you have decided they are trying to rip you off somehow, frankly it’s a bit offensive to the people who put so much effort into organising things and putting these events on. There are plenty of people who have no idea what it actually costs to put some stuff on and just spout off online about it. You then followed up with a great line

i doubt that the organisers of the large mtb events put much back into the trail network.

Which again basically says they are all a bunch of *****s

ton

i dont seem to remember thinking that anyone was ripping me off, where i started the post.
    i do seem to remember thinking to myself, bloody heck, these enduro events seem sxpensive compare to events i used to do, which is a few years ago.

which i still do, sorry for not seeing things through your eyes eh?

weeksy

i dont seem to remember thinking that anyone was ripping me off, where i started the post.
    i do seem to remember thinking to myself, bloody heck, these enduro events seem sxpensive compare to events i used to do, which is a few years ago.

which i still do, sorry for not seeing things through your eyes eh?

But do you now see they’re more expensive because
    1. the whole world is more expensive
    2. they cost more to host, therefore must charge more

?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I didn’t comment till after your dry bumming comments or the bit about it being expensive because it’s fashionable, both of which sound like your complaining it’s a rip off. The original observations were that it cost more than you thought the rest was more than that.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘the price of enduro events, and others too?’ is closed to new replies.