Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • The Pope/Vatican being offensive to other peoples religious beliefs
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://rt.com/uk/234443-priest-yoga-satan-danger/

In 2011, the Vatican’s chief exorcist, Gabriele Amorth, said that yoga leads to a belief in Hinduism, and that “all eastern religions are based on a false belief in reincarnation”.

“Practicing yoga is Satanic, it leads to evil just like reading Harry Potter,” he told the Telegraph.

I’m pretty sure some Hindus etc might find being compared to Harry Potter deeply offensive. So going by his “‘Curse my mother, expect a punch” anti-freedom of speech logic he would be a legitimate target for religious violence.

endurogangster
    Free Member

I doubt they would be that offended, it’s all made up any way! In 2000 years someone might uncover a Harry Potter book and start a religion from it. Then instead of Jesus walking on water you have harry doing wizard crap. Equally as believable I’d say!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah Buddhists at least probably won’t find it offensive as taking offense doesn’t usually seem to be in there nature. I would still say it’s fairly disrespectful and downright laughable in the context of what the Pope has been saying about Charlie Hebdo.

Religious types don’t care about freedom of speech or respect, all they care about is the dominance and privilege of their own religion over others. It’s okay for the pope to make disrespectful remarks to the media about other peoples beliefs, but my god….if secularists do it?

SaxonRider

Uh huh. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Religious types don’t care about freedom of speech or respect, all they care about is the dominance and privilege of their own religion over others

Oh for ****’s sake.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Go on Molgrips? Do explain instead of getting sweary 🙂 Edmanucate me, I dare you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Religious types? You’re going to dismiss almost all of humanity with a monumentally ludicriously poorly informend statement that is about as sweeping as it is possible to be?

And you want a proper response? Go troll someone else.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Religious types? You’re going to dismiss almost all of humanity with a monumentally ludicriously poorly informend statement that is about as sweeping as it is possible to be?

The pope speaks for all true Catholics does he not? 😆 Catholics make up a fairly hefty proportion of religious types, so I will stick to making sweeping comments about them thanks.

molgrips
    Free Member

The pope speaks for all true Catholics, does he not?

Where does it say that?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member
    D0NK

Wonder how many times Gabriele and his chums have complained about people showing religious intolerance (when it was aimed at his own)
    <edit>

“all eastern religions are based on a false belief in reincarnation”

he may have a point tho

“all eastern religions are based on a false belief in reincarnation god/s”

Fixed

molgrips
    Free Member

From that article:

The doctrine of infallibility relies on one of the cornerstones of Catholic dogma: that of petrine supremacy of the pope, and his authority as the ruling agent who decides what is accepted as formal beliefs in the Roman Catholic Church.

So in matters of Catholic doctrine. Do all catholics actually believe every off the cuff remark the Pope makes? Have you spoken to one?

However – the original quote was not from the Pope was it?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Do all catholics actually believe every off the cuff remark the Pope makes? Have you spoken to one?

True Catholics will.

However – the original quote was not from the Pope was it?

It will have been said under his authority at that level.

molgrips
    Free Member

True Catholics will.

Oh yeah?

PS did you actually read that wiki article?

Statements by a pope that exercise papal infallibility are referred to as solemn papal definitions or ex cathedra teachings. Also considered infallible are the teachings of the whole body of bishops of the Church, especially but not only in an ecumenical council[13] (see Infallibility of the Church).

According to the teaching of the First Vatican Council and Catholic tradition, the conditions required for ex cathedra papal teaching are as follows:

“the Roman Pontiff”
    “speaks ex cathedra” (“that is, when in the discharge of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, and by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority….”)
    “he defines”
    “that a doctrine concerning faith or morals”
    “must be held by the whole Church” (Pastor Aeternus, chap. 4)[14]
    For a teaching by a pope or ecumenical council to be recognized as infallible, the teaching must be:

A decision of the supreme teaching authority of the Church (pope or College of Bishops)
    Concern a doctrine of faith or morals
    Bind the universal Church
    Be proposed as something to hold firmly and immutably

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Oh yeah?

PS did you actually read that wiki article?

I’m pretty sure they’ve probably covered eastern religions leading to Satan under infallible teachings. 😆

You can educate me if I’m wrong though. Also, in regards to “must be held by the whole Church” some would argue the pope isn’t accountable enough to the church – “The Catholic Church is ruled by an entirely dysfunctional hierarchy. The Pope does not even have a cabinet. In principle he decides everything.” – Professor Hans Küng

mogrim

Yeah Buddhists at least probably won’t find it offensive as taking offense doesn’t usually seem to be in there nature.

http://time.com/2956180/burma-mandalay-race-riots-sectarian-violence-buddhist-muslim/

SaxonRider

Tom_W1987 – Member
    The pope speaks for all true Catholics does he not? Catholics make up a fairly hefty proportion of religious types, so I will stick to making sweeping comments about them thanks.

Tom_W, you’re being an idiot. I don’t care what your religious beliefs are, nor do I remotely mind when people discuss religion on here, even in the most vehement terms. What I do mind is complete ignorance, bordering on trolling.

First of all, the Pope did not say anything, and likely wouldn’t, about yoga or anything else. If it was said at all the way it was reported, it was said by the chief exorcist, as your own quote in the original post makes clear.

And contrary to bigoted belief, the pope is not sitting in the Vatican pulling everyone’s strings. In fact, the chief exorcist has a habit of shooting his mouth off about things, and most people don’t pay the remotest bit of attention – even within the RC Church.

Finally, your link to the wikipedia article about papal infallibility has no relevance here at all, as infallibility has to do with particular doctrinal statements made with respect to ideas pertinent to the core of the Christian faith, and only applies when the Pope intentionally speaks for and about the universal tradition.

So please, as molgrips has said already, go troll somewhere else.

SaxonRider

Tom_W1987 – Member

I’m pretty sure they’ve probably covered eastern religions leading to Satan under infallible teachings.

You can educate me if I’m wrong though.

Alright then. Read the statements on other religions in the documents of the Second Vatican Council, or even the Catechism; both of which are publicly available.

If you want to ridicule something, at least know something about what you’re ridiculing.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Alright then. Read the statements on other religions in the documents of the Second Vatican Council, or even the Catechism; both of which are publicly available.

If you want to ridicule something, at least know something about what you’re ridiculing.

I’m assuming they don’t say that practicing other religions doesn’t lead to Satan then, that core historical tenant of Catholicism? I’m also assuming that if the pope doesn’t agree with Mr Exorcist guy, then he has been duly punished for making offensive remarks about other peoples beliefs?

It’s like trying to get a straight answer out of a politician.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

From what I can make out in this video (which is only just over a minute long) Catholics seem to be very tolerant of other religions, it even seems they actively encourage them:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvO3qAlyTg[/video]

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry Tom you are trying to start an argument based on a four year old quote/story. I’m not even sure the current pope was in office at that time?

Come back when you have something more current we can disagree with you about 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I think this thread breaks the forum rules, tbh. I’d report it but I don’t think it’s necessary – you’ve made yourself look enough of a tit as it is.

that core historical tenant of Catholicism?

Historical tenet? You mean something from a long time ago? I.e. not now?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

First story was published in 2015.

I think this thread breaks the forum rules, tbh. I’d report it but I don’t think it’s necessary – you’ve made yourself look enough of a tit as it is.

So you’re saying Catholics won’t go to hell if they convert then? This is news to me. Can you link me to anything?

SaxonRider

What the ‘h’ are you talking about? What core historical tenant?

I don’t like many politicians either, but if you go up to one and tell him/her that that he/she doesn’t like cycling when in fact he/she has never said anything of the sort, then he/she is bound to get a bit agitated and confused, and, frankly, to think that there isn’t much to answer.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t think you can take one odd priest as representing an entire religion, even an extremely hierarchical religion such as the RC church is.

And contrary to bigoted belief, the pope is not sitting in the Vatican pulling everyone’s strings. In fact, the chief exorcist has a habit of shooting his mouth off about things, and most people don’t pay the remotest bit of attention – even within the RC Church.

I now have a picture of father jack in my head.

molgrips
    Free Member

So you’re saying Catholics won’t go to hell if they convert then?

No, I’m saying you don’t know what you are talking about.

SaxonRider does though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://www.ibtimes.com/pope-francis-can-he-heal-chasm-between-roman-catholic-church-hindus-1136345

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/hindus-urge-pope-francis-to-discipline-londonderry-priest-for-warning-against-risks-involved-in-yoga-1-6594517

I’m assuming the pope will discipline this priest then to help heal the divide mentioned in the first article?

No, I’m saying you don’t know what you are talking about.

SaxonRider does though.

Is it acceptable for senior members (the chief exorcist bloke) to make remarks that could offend other peoples religious beliefs? If so, why? You clearly don’t like me making half arsed offensive comments about Catholicism. 😆

MoreCashThanDash

*pulls up chair*

Even by our usual standards here, this is a daft one.

SaxonRider

TomW, I don’t think it is entirely fair that you have gone back and edited a number of your posts to ‘flesh them out’ a bit after others have responded to them.

In any case, that aside, the exorcist could well be disciplined by the pope if he has said something stupid – although the quote you provided came from a few years back (as was pointed out above).

The Vatican, however, like most organisations, generally doesn’t discipline its people for the purposes of public entertainment. And in any case, I doubt the media would be interested in covering the Church actually doing something right.

SaxonRider

Incidentally, molgrips has said nothing about his religion one way or another, so your suggestion that he is a Catholic is not appropriate.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

In any case, that aside, the exorcist could well be disciplined by the pope if he has said something stupid – although the quote you provided came from a few years back (as was pointed out above).

The Vatican, however, like most organisations, generally doesn’t discipline its people for the purposes of public entertainment. And in any case, I doubt the media would be interested in covering the Church actually doing something right.

They seemed quite happy to attack Charlie Hebdo for public entertainment. The pope should speak for all moderate Catholics and condemn these extremist remarks in the name of religious tolerance.

Incidentally, molgrips has said nothing about his religion one way or another, so your suggestion that he is a Catholic is not appropriate.

Would that be offensive? I’ll apologize then. Sorry Molgrips, I wents back and edited it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tom has been drinking I think.

SaxonRider

They seemed quite happy to attack Charlie Hebdo for public entertainment. The pope should speak for all moderate Catholics and condemn these extremist remarks in the name of religious tolerance.

Send him a letter. Maybe he will.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Send him a letter. Maybe he will.

It looks like plenty of Hindus are pissed, I think he will have noticed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Your thread title says the pope specifically but you quote another. In the Catholic Church you are going to find those with more traditional views, some archaic. It’s much like the priest and indeed many members of congregations are against the ordination of women as Bishops in the Anglican church.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The Harry Potter thing…there’s never the same gripe from the anti-Rowling religious folk about Lewis and Tolkien, yet they’ve got equal amounts of wizards and so on. All roughly the same theme too – good vs evil, the struggles/weaknesses of the characters and so on…

That puzzles me.

SaxonRider

thegreatape – Member
    The Harry Potter thing…there’s never the same gripe from the anti-Rowling religious folk about Lewis and Tolkien, yet they’ve got equal amounts of wizards and so on. All roughly the same theme too – good vs evil, the struggles/weaknesses of the characters and so on…

That puzzles me.

The criticism of HP from Catholic quarters came from the same exorcist quoted by TomW in the first post. It supposedly had to do with the clear delineation between fantasy and reality present in both Tolkein and Lewis that did not exist in Rowling. BUT… I doubt the exorcist ever actually read the books, AND of the few Catholics that heard him, none with half a piston firing in his or her head gave it a second thought.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Your thread title says the pope specifically but you quote another

Well to be fair, I seem to remember the priest is apparently quoting the pope. So until he issues a rebuttal… 😛

kja78
    Free Member

As clumsy and unhelpful as the Catholic exorcist’s comments may be, there’s a very significant difference between criticising someone’s religious beliefs and openly mocking them.

If you said to me ‘Mate, your helmet’s not enduro enough, have you thought about one of these Bell Stokers like I’ve got?’ that’s not offensive.

If you said ‘That helmet makes you look like a right *&#@ & *#@’ and then started encouraging people to point and laugh at me, I probably wouldn’t be terribly amused.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘The Pope/Vatican being offensive to other peoples religious beliefs’ is closed to new replies.