Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The Pixies – where to start?
  • rogg
    Free Member

What it says really…to my shame I don’t know anything about them, does any particular album make a good starting point?
    Thanks,

Garry_Lager

Just start at the beginning mate. First four albums are class from start to finish.

MrNice
    Free Member

Doolittle if you want to pick only one

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pyro

An old housemate was very into them, but I was never fussed. Got given a copy of their ‘Best of’ (Wave of Mutilation) and slowly getting into them.

theotherjonv

Yep. Start at the start, I have all their albums (although I’ve mislaid Trompe le Monde at the moment) and nowadays i rarely go further than the first three.

nickc

Surfer Rosa or Dolittle (I hardly ever bother with anything else these days)

Trouble is…Now it sounds a bit derivative. It’s like watching Citizen Kane, unless you know why it’s great, it looks like everything else. Largely because, of course, everything actually looks like Citizen Kane…Same with the Pixies…The Quiet Loud Quiet thing is so common nowadays, but at the time….Even Nirvana made Smells like Teen spirit to sound like the Pixies.

Important, interesting, but of it’s time.

Cool songs though

Edit: Could I recommend the Throwing Muses..? 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

To start, this…

Could I recommend the Throwing Muses..?

Oh yes, for the Muses, this..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Come in pilgrim mini album and surfer rosa. Plus into the white . Best band everrrrrrrrrrr

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Plus, the new album is appalling and breaks my heart to hear it. Therefore possibly not best band everrrrr

kayak23

Bossanova… Just cracking, floaty, melodic album.

I wish they hadn’t reformed personally but meh…

Frank black as a standalone artist did some quite good stuff too.

nicko74

Another vote for Death to the Pixies. If you can find the special 2-disc edition, the second CD is their final concert live, before they disbanded (before the recent regroup).

Doolittle of the regular albums.

tops5
    Free Member

Doolittle gets my vote all classics

jaymoid

Doolittle. If you like the angrier heavier tracks listen to surfer rosa and come on pilgrim, if you preferred the moellower stuff then bosanova and trompe le monde.

My favourite band to date 🙂

theotherjonv

But if you think surfer Rosa and come on pilgrim are all angrier heavier stuff you do them a disservice. Gigantic and where is my mind are possibly my two favourite pixies songs and while not exactly floaty pop songs aren’t proper thrashy either.

Still best band ever (but not my favourite band ever, only make the top 3 for that. Favourite would be the wedding present for being the soundtrack for the best years of my life)

Pigface
    Free Member

Start with Husker Du 😉

scaredypants

start at the beginning
    stop when you feel like they’re turning into a heavy rock band
    let us know when that was

CountZero

howsyourdad1 – Member
    Plus, the new album is appalling and breaks my heart to hear it. Therefore possibly not best band everrrrr

On the other hand, the new album I think is terrific, and has revitalised my interest in Pixies stuff in general.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

+ 1 for the double disc “Death to the Pixies”

Live at the BBC is worth a listen too

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    start at the beginning
    stop when you feel like they’re turning into a heavy rock band
    let us know when that was
    POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO #

Why stop when they get heavy? Those are the best bits …! Something against you is my favourite track. And I am one happy pri*k

boxelder

[video]http://youtu.be/0P3lhrwio-M[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/xJncHEZ3URs[/video]

And if we’re opening up to the Muses, then the near perfection of:

[video]http://youtu.be/Qpoqzt2EHaA[/video]

rj
    Free Member

For me it’s Surfer Rosa. Kind of sums up what they were about. Saying that, I don’t hate the new stuff so my opinion probably counts for nothing.

Scamper
    Free Member

Loved the pixies in the late 80’s and early 90’s at Uni. Anything more recent worth listening too?

scaredypants

Why stop when they get heavy? Those are the best bits …!

Ah, funnily enough, last time we had this I said “decide which you prefer, heavy or “punky”, then start at the relevant end and stop when you think they’ve gone off because they’ll keep going that way

chakaping
    Free Member

Start with Doolittle.

If you like the raw spiky stuff then go backward. If you like the anthemic stuff go forward.

But you’ll probably end up buying it all.

😉

bigdean

While surfing around have a listen to some breaders albums.
    Then work which prodigy memberis a big fan as they have been sampled alot.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If you like the Pixies then listen to ‘Last Splash’ by the Breeders.
    Cannonball is posted above,top tune!

skaifan
    Free Member

Start with Indie Wendy. That gets it out of the way. Imagine waiting for 20 odd years for a new record to come out, by a band that hasn’t had a bad record yet, only to find ithe new one is complete absolute rubbish. It’s incredibly disappointing. Having gotten over the disappointment of Indie Linda, work your way backwards. You will find the records get better the further back you go. Last Splash and pod by the breeders are as good as anything the pixies have done. Make sure you check out the amps if you enjoy the breeders.

jimpy
    Free Member

love the pixies. surfer rosa and come on pilgrim is quite a tough introduction. If you start with dolittle you will learn to love all the pixies stuff. agree with ‘theotherjonv’ gigantic and where is my mind are two of my favourite tunes.

brooess
    Free Member

IMO the compilation albums don’t really get under the skin of Pixies – the albums work best as they were originally put together… just get all the studio albums up to and including Trompe Le Monde – it won’t cost you a huge amount.

They were one of the first indie bands I properly got into in late 80’s and they’re still sounding ace – try and see if you can find their Glasto slot from this year too – they rocked

Garry_Lager

skaifan – Member

Start with Indie Wendy. That gets it out of the way. Imagine waiting for 20 odd years for a new record to come out, by a band that hasn’t had a bad record yet, only to find ithe new one is complete absolute rubbish. It’s incredibly disappointing. Having gotten over the disappointment of Indie Linda, work your way backwards. You will find the records get better the further back you go. Last Splash and pod by the breeders are as good as anything the pixies have done. Make sure you check out the amps if you enjoy the breeders. Not had a good sit down with indie cindy yet, couple of listens haven’t been great tbh. Hoping it’s a grower.

Interesting to compare with Dinosaur’s recent stuff – really strong, like they never went away.

roger_mellie

Let’s face it, Indy Cindy was never going to be a ground breaking album. But I do love Greens and Blues, Magdalena 318 and Silver Snail from it (may not be connected, but I have been listening to a lot of Frank Black & the Catholics).

Anyhoo, back to the OP, I would also recommend Doolittle. I blame my brother.

skaifan
    Free Member

Dinosaur never really went away. Lou Barlow has always been hugely prolific, and a lot of the j mascis and the fog stuff didn’t sound any different to dinosaur. Brilliant band!

jimpy
    Free Member

just love dinosaur jr. bought green mind and bug on a whim, played them to death.

Haze

Doolittle is a good introduction…

rogg
    Free Member

Blimey, I was expecting a couple of replies at best, thanks for all the replies. Taking the ‘each end’ approach,
    Doolittle downloaded, Indie Cindy on its way from a mate this afternoon.

jimster01

Have a look on Spotify,most their album ‘s are on there, then get whateveryou prefer.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve come to like the stuff on Trompe le Monde best, though maybe because the more iconic songs were so overplayed.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHJJgyt_Tw[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4V5XjyR6s[/video]

tops5
    Free Member

Watched em on T in The Park last night – they’ve still got it!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Doolittle is the obvious choice, saw them after they reformed play that end to end and there is not a bad track on it (well maybe Silver isn’t the finest moment) but the line in Gouge Away “I’ll break the walls, and kill us all, with holy fingers” being screamed by Frank Black makes the whole album worthwhile.

The new album sure isn’t their best and lacks the inclusion of Kim but it’s still Pixies and I’d much rather hear ” we offed ourselves in a lovers pact and tossed ourselves into the sea” still stands head and shoulders above just about anything else put out by some of the shit that passes for music these days

To impress people, find a copy of the purple tape on cassette 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘The Pixies – where to start?’ is closed to new replies.