Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • The people who go to wetherspoons
  • mossimus
    Free Member

I like the Greenwich one (Gate Clock) and the Canary Wharf one, (Ledger Building),

Aren’t they both Lloyd’s No 1 bars rather than proper ‘spoons?

failedengineer

Stayed in the one in Peebles last year. Fab rooms, good breakfast, good price. What more can you ask?

bob_summers

I’m just popping over to This and That for lunch.

I am suddenly overcome with jealousy.

Fond memories of the scruffy Spoons in Turnpike Lane which had special dispensation to charge ‘provincial’ rather than London prices. And the excellent Gujarat restaurant next door.

dannyh
    Free Member

I like most Wetherspoons if I’m in a ‘foriegn’ town centre and fancy a pint and some tasty if unhealthy food.

It saves risking a really shit local pub – although the flipside is that I could be missing out on a hidden gem.

Reasonable selection of non-wankerish beers at a pretty good price – what’s not to like? The clientele is not really to do with it being a Wetherspoons – more to do with the town it is in and the selection of other establishments available.

They’re obviously good at what they do.

scandal42
    Free Member

The new(ish) Spoons in De-La-Zouch is top quality. Always good for a bit of grub with a decent beer included.

giant_scum
    Free Member

As others have stated some good some bad, mostly good I would say.
    Can’t fault the quality of the steaks on steak night, although they have stopped doing the 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £17 deal.
    Breakfasts are good as well particularly the Scottish version with McSweens haggis.

Xylene
    Free Member

I was in a Weatherspoons in Glasgow two years back picking up a visa, it was a pretty grotty one down on the main road leading towards that shopping center.

I was driving so couldn’t join anybody else with their all day drinking at 9am, but I enjoyed breakfast and a cup of tea.

When I went to the toilet, a very large man followed me in, and asked me if he could watch me wee, I politely declined, he said something about having just been chatting to me on Grinder.

I left just as another man walked in on his smart phone, I assume looking for his new friend to watch pee.

I continued to enjoy the remains of my breakfast, the two gentlemen must have had a very long pee as there were in there ages.

spchantler
    Free Member

there was the rumour going round that the reason they could by beer cheaply was that it had past its sell by date, i can tell you this isnt true, as if breweries have old beer just lying about, enough to stock a nation wide chain. we sell about 8 casks a week to 3 of our local spoons, and they are fastidious with bbe dates and proper cellar management, unlike a couple of local free houses i could mention, one who takes delivery and its on the bar the next day, and another that had one of our beers on in november, when i hadn’t brewed it for 5 months…

hels
    Free Member

I HATE the places. The food is universally dire, I have never had a decent meal there, and sent back several. The drink is cheap, but if you are a wine drinker that is not a good thing.

I hear the hotel is good for the money at the one in Peebles, and they didn’t mind/care when my friends blatantly smuggled their dog in.

Call me a snob, but if your friends want to meet there routinely, get some new friends. Join a club or something.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The spoon in Fort William is probably the best pub in the town.

The spoon in Shipley, is a grim horrible place, where scum que up outside at 9am to get their drink.

I did think their business model was built on buying bulk at near BBE date so they get discount off the brewer, but yes they never sell out of date, and they do look after the beer.

stumpy01

99% of the ones I’ve been to have been decent pubs.

Food used to be pretty bad (late 90’s) but has been pretty good for a long while.

Worst one I’ve been to is The Regal in Cambridge, but mainly because it was always frequenty by da yoof who were constantly looking for a reason to get aggro after one too many Bacardi Breezers.

There is a massive one in Exeter that used to be an old hotel. A large hotel at that. You could have a pub crawl and never actually leave that pub!

I used to like the Halloween beer fests they used to do and probably still have some of their promotional glasses somewhere. Not sure if they still do them…

dudeofdoom

‘Spoons in Merthyr’

Isn’t that one the old cinema – ended up there after a long run once on a bank holiday.

I don’t mind them tbh and the one in ‘anham is nice as its a small one.

mogrim

I’ve been to a couple in London – they’re a bit souless, but the beer was a lot cheaper than normal London prices, and the food was OK.

It’s a bit like wine – open the decent bottle first, and as the night goes on move on to the cheaper stuff. With pubs start at somewhere nice, then as it gets messier move on to a Spoons.

stumpy01

mogrim – Member

It’s a bit like wine – open the decent bottle first, and as the night goes on move on to the cheaper stuff. With pubs start at somewhere nice, then as it gets messier move on to a Spoons.

We used to do it the other way round….start off in a Wetherspoons for a few quick ones & then move onto somewhere nicer & probably more expensive once they weren’t going down as quickly….

Just remembered…..you can’t beat sitting eating breakfast with a coffee at 4:30am in Stansted airport, while plenty around are tucking into their first pints of the day!! 😆

mt
    Free Member

give me a Yates Wine Lodge anytime (well 30 odd years ago). The Yates on Oldham St was an education the first time I visited. Suppose Wetherspoons has taken their customers.

I cannot say a bad thing about the way Wetherspoons treat some of the buildings they take on, always seem to show respect to the building and the area.

Pigface
    Free Member

The one in Blackwood had to be remodeled due to the huge windows getting put through on a regular basis, it was an old Co Op shop I think. Now it is the start of a big night out due to prices, start there and move on.

One in Bangor was ok, the one in Maindee in Newport is horrible.

richardkennerley

Think we’ve got the biggest one in the country in Blackpool, the velvet coaster. There’s several other ones round the town centre and on the outskirts. To be honest, they’re all a bit sh*t. The service is generally poor, they’re pretty scruffy and they’re so big, open and noisy I can’t hear conversation in them!! Still, better than my local “sizzler” and the nearest “harvester!”

trailhound101

They closed the Spoons in Wilmslow a couple of weeks ago. Apparently its going to be a beer cafe/microbrewery/hipstery type thing –

Harry_the_Spider

Sounds ghastly.

slowoldman

Sounds like Wilmslow.

Harry_the_Spider

Ghastly.

dannyh
    Free Member

hels – Member

I HATE the places. The food is universally dire, I have never had a decent meal there, and sent back several. The drink is cheap, but if you are a wine drinker that is not a good thing.

I hear the hotel is good for the money at the one in Peebles, and they didn’t mind/care when my friends blatantly smuggled their dog in.

Call me a snob, but if your friends want to meet there routinely, get some new friends. Join a club or something.

If you are a wine drinker?

First rule (to quote Trainspotting): “If you can’t hold a pint you shouldn’t be in a pub, mate. Now **** off”. Granted Begbie did glass the bloke who said this a couple of seconds later…….

But you are a snob 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘The people who go to wetherspoons’ is closed to new replies.