Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • The people who go to wetherspoons
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

40 you cheeky fecker!

ads678

When I lived in Brighouse, there always seemed to be lots of people with a limp. And lots of people in slippers!!

Wetherspoons pubs are generally decent. Good choice of beer and decent food for decent prices.

wallop

Rockhopper – that one in Bristol is a Lloyds Nr 1 – big difference round these parts 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He should try the one in Bedminster wallop. 🙂

pondo

Good one in Aberystwyth too,old station building ,much better than Starling Cloud down the road i’m told by friends as i now live else where.

Absolutely no problem with a Wethers here no matter where – had tea at the Starling Cloud two or three weeks back, very very ordinary food and way too many uncontained children bezzing about. Ironically we were heading for the Wetherspoons and stumbled across the Cloud – shant’t make that mistake again…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Allegedly:

Don’t GAF about how the staff are treated/paid?? 😉

Or what is in cheap food?

Dont know if either are true, but both came up on previous threads

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Next thing you know you’ll be buying your wife a second-hand Nissan micra 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Next thing you know you’ll be buying your wife a second-hand Nissan micra

Without heated wing mirrors! OH TEH HORRORZ!

Scapegoat

Wasn’t it a Viz Top Tip?
    Want to meet the entire caste of Michael Jackson’s Thriller video? Simply visit Wetherspoons at 1030 am.

I’ve been into the one in Brighouse. And I limp.

pitduck
    Free Member

“but if you get scared, tell a policeman you own a woodburner and he’ll hold your hand”. You sir have just won the interweb,I salute you 8)

Northwind

Nothing better than a long bike ride followed by a visit to a weatherspoons for a meal chosen based on the calorie content.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used to be reserved for Friday Lunchtime beers (Whitehaven) one of the friendlier places in town 😉
    Beer decent, food decidedly average but you get what you pay for

batfink
    Free Member

I’m surprised nobody has suggested leaving a scathing review on tripadvisor.

In my experience, Whetherspoon’s seem to be very well run pubs. You may not agree with their business model, but you can’t fault them for execution. Clean, well staffed, cheap, plenty of seats, good selection of beers….. that may not be what you are looking for in a pub, but lots of people are.

Much better than the “Firkin” pubs of the 90’s

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I worked in one over a summer when back from Uni. Mostly in the kitchen but behind the bar too. The food’s fine for what it is and the beer’s good. The breakfasts are great. Steaks aren’t bad. Staff aren’t treated better or worse than any of the other big chains. Not as well as anything higher up but then, they do’t attract the same level of staff so it’s the same as any other industry.

Ours was a strange mix of tourists (Exmouth) and old men. Got a younger, mixed crowd after work. I’d imagine it’s no where near as nice in the winter whereas with the beer garden and plenty of customers it wasn’t bad.

The coffee seems very good.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We have two in Weymouth. The William Henry has the families and the noise. 400 yards away is The Swan same menu and drinks but not kids, TV or music.
    Take your choice. If I’m only down for a weekend it’s hardly worth stocking the fridge with more than a pint of milk so I often breakfast there. Wearing Crocs.

mooman
    Free Member

Wife and I often go into our local Wetherspoons. It’s not fancy, but ideal for a mid week pint and meal deal.

allan23
    Free Member

Is the Guacamole still Guacamole Style because it’s really cheap mushy peas with seasoning?

Harry_the_Spider

I shall avoid the guacamole in future. Next you’ll be saying that the quails’s eggs are actually pigeon, or hedgehog.

duckman

Dundee one; you stuck to the carpet,Aberdeen one is next to the court,nuff said on those two. Perth and Fort Bill ones are ace.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eggs benedict rocks. Perfect pre ride brekkie, with unlimited coffee for 4.19.

slowoldman

Big fan of Wetherspoons. Great breakfasts, decent range of beers, good value for money.

Used to in my view too. I think initially Spoons did a great deal to assist the revival of small scale brewing and the pubs were generally clean, pleasant, family friendly. I’ve often enjoyed a Saturday breakfast and a cheap pint. Sadly I think it’s gone the way most chains do. Downhill. A lot of them are pretty scruffy, but location does count for a lot. The one in Wilmslow is more pleasant that the one in Piccadilly Gardens. Who’d a thunk it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

and families just ordering food with kids under 10 years old at 9 o’clock

A lot of kids on school hols this week, if it makes you feel any better.

pigyn
    Free Member

Two words – Bengali, Tiger

rocketman
    Free Member

rocket jr and his mates go to our local Spoons so it must be really cool

Harry_the_Spider

The one in Wilmslow is more pleasant that the one in Piccadilly Gardens.

That rather depends if you want “pudding” after your all day breakfast.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Was it Mark Beaumont who cycled round the world only eating McDonalds, his rationale being that there’s one in every town and you know what you’ll get so he didn’t waste an hour+ every day choosing and waiting for food to be cooked.

Weatherspoons is like that, but a pub.

Northwind

pigyn – Member

Two words – Bengali, Tiger

I’d shoot the customer not the tiger tbh

dragon
    Free Member

location does count for a lot.

+1

Makes a huge difference, as at the end of the day it is the clientele that make it grim or not.

Regarding the Picadilly gardens one, I remember being on the bus in Manchester and two old boys were moaning that due to people getting on without the correct change they were going to be late for opening by 5 minutes 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

I do like Wetherspoons, under £5 for two pints of (mostly) decent beer. Food is ok too. Breakfasts are cracking.
    Dont like the fact you can be eating brekkie before 9 when theres two blokes sat opposite on the lager though!

buckster
    Free Member

I remember being on the bus in Manchester and two old boys were moaning that due to people getting on without the correct change they were going to be late for opening by 5 minutes

Ahh the best posts are always the last ones

BoardinBob

Allegedly:

Don’t GAF about how the staff are treated/paid??

Or what is in cheap food?

Dont know if either are true, but both came up on previous threads

I worked for Weatherspoon’s many, many years ago in a Brewer’s Fayre. I would say they treated the staff very well. The pay was good (at the time), working hours were fair and they put on staff parties and the like. Morale was always good.

The food was mainly frozen and bought in. The only fresh cooked stuff would be the daily specials. That being said, it was always consistent. Not Michelin quality, but well priced and not slop. One thing they do score highly on is kitchen cleanliness. They were unbelievably thorough with cleaning and hygiene, so I’d always eat in there safe in the knowledge it was cleaner than every other restaurant or bar I’d worked in.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s good to know BB – I feel happier now especially as my kids go there and mini THM is just about to start a holiday job in a local pub !!!

Gunz
    Free Member

My Wife was bought in to turn round several underperforming Spoons when she worked for them. I was quite impressed that if the staff worked hard to maintain cleanliness, took care of the beer properly and reduced wastage they could earn a substantial bonus each month (up to around £300).
    My favourite Spoons evening was attending the Christmas Managers’ Ball, forget one free bottle of wine per table, we were all awash by the end of it and Mr Wetherspoon seemed like a driven but nice bloke.
    Did you know he named the chain after his old teacher who said he would amount to nothing?

clodhopper
    Free Member

The last Wetherspoons pub I was in was in Glasgow, by St George’s Square. Big and noisy, but impressive. We found a reasonably quiet little corner and enjoyed some lovely beers and a surprisingly good burger. The staff were excellent, even substituting the standard shite lager/John Smiths that normally comes with the meal deals, for some nice stuff, for no extra cost!

We live in an area festooned with good pubs. Mostly filled with Yummy Mummy/affluent middle class types and many serving organic this and that, but you can get a nice pint and a burger in the local ‘Spoons (much more varied and interesting clientele; old soaks and those down on their luck looking for a cheap pint and somewhere warm to sit, to trendy student-arty types, and old lefties who refuse to go into the ‘gastropubs’ on principle), for less than half the price of a fancy burger (doesn’t taste any better) and pint in the ‘posh’ places. The ‘Spoons is actually great for avoiding the aforementioned middle class types droning on endlessly about house prices and nurseries etc.

I like posh pubs. They keep the boring **** out of Wetherspoons. 😀

clodhopper
    Free Member

And by contrast; I was in a ‘rough’ Irish pub last night; landlord had to turf some pissed bloke out for constantly trying to tell us ‘jokes’, then had a very heated argument with some blokes who’d done some decorating work for him. ‘You’ll get paid when you’ve finished the job and not before! Now stop **** swearing in front of my customers!’ I had to be very careful when leaving, not to get fresh gloss paint on my Rapha jacket.

I find this idea that pubs may contain people who some consider to be ‘undesirables’ quite amusing. Pubs were never genteel, sophisticated establishments, they were always the preserve of the lower classes. If you don’t like the idea, then maybe a wine bar is more your style.

woody2000

I like ‘Spoons, and I live in Brighouse. I am clearly scum 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you don’t like the idea, then maybe a wine bar is more your style.

Have you ever been in a Yates?

Keeping the undesirables out of ‘spoons.

steve-g
    Free Member

My local spoons is I believe the smallest spoons in the country, it’s rubbish.

I like the Greenwich one (Gate Clock) and the Canary Wharf one, (Ledger Building), both the ones in Maidstone used to be ok, and the one I saw the outside of in Buxton looked like a very nice pub

Can’t believe they did away with the Sunday Roasts though

slowoldman

That rather depends if you want “pudding” after your all day breakfast.

I’m just popping over to This and That for lunch. Shall I drop into the Piccadilly Gardens Spoons for pudding on the way back?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Hmm, we have a Whetherspoons in town which is as divisive in town around the ‘local pubs’ as it is here.

The beer is always good, kept well and a good selection

The chips are not chips, they are potato clouds rolled in a coating of some sort. This is a big issue for me.

The best thing anyone I know who goes in there can say about it is ‘its cheap’.

I don’t use it. There are better pubs in town that are ‘Freehouses’ and privately owned by people that I regard as friends like what a pub should be. They may not be as cheap but then I don’t get to go out often enough to need to look after the pennies. If I do go out it is regarded as an occasion nowadays so I make sure I get good food, great beer and good company. Whetherspoons seem to only hit one of the three.

I fairness to them, they took a minging looking building that was fit for knocking down and they have saved it and it now looks really good.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘The people who go to wetherspoons’ is closed to new replies.