Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The pensioner on his bike today.
  • deluded
    Free Member

This morning I was cycling up a hill (of a modestly steep gradient) that runs through Ashton Hill Plantation (North Somerset) when I caught up with an older chap on his MTB, who had stopped momentarily to have a swig from his water bottle.

A few minutes later he cycled up level with me.

Him – “I’m sixty eight years old you know”

Me (39 years) – “You’re looking very good for it, sir”

He then drops it a fews cogs and begins to power off.

Him (shouting back) – “I cycled for the GB team in the 1968 Tour de France”

Me (panting and puffing) – “That makes me feel a little better”

Him (disappearing from view around a bend) – “That’s why I said it!”

Good on you mate 😀

Holyzeus
    Free Member

😀

chakaping
    Free Member

How long do you reckon he’d been stopped there waiting for someone to do that to?

😀

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

😀

donsimon
    Free Member

Excellent.

LsD
    Free Member

Yup- that to me sounds like grooming……..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hard as nails old boys. We have one in our club who is 65 and raced all over Europe in his 20’s and 30’s. He takes it easy but can still put a bloody good turn in when he needs to. Never heard him breath and will go out with half a bottle of water for a 100 mile ride.

Klunk
    Free Member

pah! I monstered a 3 yr old today with his stabilizers and dad helping he must of been pushing out a saganesque 0.5 watts. We started the climb neck and neck and I left him standing.

z1ppy

😀

deluded
    Free Member

Yup- that to me sounds like grooming……..

🙂

Markie
    Free Member

😀

grtdkad

Ace. Made me smile

takisawa2

Ha ha. You were owned by J R Hartley.

Markie
    Free Member

Right. According to a link I found, of the 1968 GB Tour team, four members are still alive.

They are Barry Hoban, John Clarey, Vin ‘Vic’ Denson and Michael Wright.

None shown as being 68, maybe he was trying to ease your pain a bit, or of course the being 68 / tour of 68 thing. Hoban apparently lives in mid Wales. Any further clues?

deluded
    Free Member

Markie,

I’m sure he said he was 68 and it was the 68 GB TdF. I’m kicking myself for not asking him his name now. I’m quite sure he said he was 68 years old, perhaps he said 69 TdF??

I did some research when I arrived back home as well – not as much as I’d have liked but I was a little pressed for time.

The gent was wearing a club athletics racing top but I take didn’t take the name in, began with an H (or something!!), I think! Useless I know.

I’ll continue my enquirers – There’s another name that cropped up on the net yesterday, which isn’t included above – I’ll devout some time to trying to find out who it was through the morning. I don’t think that link names all the GB riders?

deluded
    Free Member

I’m wondering if it was Colin Lewis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Lewis

Lewis was the last Welshman to ride the Tour de France in 1968 until Geraint Thomas in 2007.

EDIT – no that’s not him, just seen a photo.

Markie
    Free Member

How about Colin Lewis, GB team in ’67 and 68 years old?

Just to say – though I hope is obvious! – the only reason I’m pursuing this is because I love the story so much, I would have been absolutely made up if had happened to me!

Edit: and this page says he raced the TdF in ’68 too!

Also president of mid Devon cycling club…

Second edit, sorry, just missed your last post before I posted!

Markie
    Free Member
    deluded
    Free Member

Markie,

Yeah, it was a kind of cool moment.

As regards DH – don’t think so. It’s very difficult to say – what with the passing of time, peoples appearance can change a fair old bit.

I said devout earlier – that should be devote!

Karinofnine

😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The pensioner on his bike today.’ is closed to new replies.