Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The penny dropped moments in life…………
  • slowmart
    Free Member

When I was growing up I used to watch Porridge and Fletch uttered the immortal line “if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime”. That crystallised that ethos with me there and then and has kept me on the right path at a tipping point in my life I could have gone either way.

I’ve faced death and come out the other side. That alters your perspective and now nothing ever seems a problem, even 28 years later

One was self awareness and the other was plain luck but both have shaped my life and outlook.

Anyone else care to share?

Cheers.

allthegear
    Free Member

I came out. Surprisingly, the World didn’t stop turning.

That type of thing?

Rachel

Napalm
    Free Member

A capacitor cannot change its state of charge immediately.

I like exponential decay.

yunki
    Free Member

From the sound of your post slowmart, I could guess that we have probably been briefly reading from the same hymn sheet at some point down the line..

To further the criminal advice, another old lag once advised me that before I embarked upon any criminal endeavour I should work out how much my cut would be.. then I should weigh it up against how much that would equate to, per hour for the duration of my sentence, if I was to get caught and sent down..
    That’s steered me right a few times..

Something that really turned my life around at a low point though, was some drunken Welsh yobbo at Reading festival one year..

Him and a couple of buddies were spending the evening ignoring the music, sat in the middle of the avenue, passing around endless bottles of smirnoff and heartily shouting ‘BOLLLOOOOCCCKKS!!!!’ in a deep and lusty baritone whenever BS was detected amongst their company and anyone foolhardy enough to join it.. I’m not 100% certain what my semi-naked, tripped out space cadet mind took away from the couple of hours I spent with those guys, but it’s certainly stood me in good stead..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I traveled a bit when I was younger. I got glimpses of how other people lived. They wanted to share an understanding of their lives. With different outlooks and habits and attitudes. The most educating thing I’ve ever done, more than school and uni combined.

singletracked
    Free Member

To further the criminal advice, another old lag once advised me that before I embarked upon any criminal endeavour I should work out how much my cut would be.. then I should weigh it up against how much that would equate to, per hour for the duration of my sentence, if I was to get caught and sent down..

This is terrible advice!! The two events are almost mutually exclusive. If you got caught, you almost certainly wouldn’t have the money to balance against your time inside.

The only way that this would work would be to calculate a balance of probabilities and even then, it would only make sense in the long run.

You’d have been better off studying mathematics and statistics instead of listening to that fella.

yunki
    Free Member

lol.. you’re not very bright are you..? 😆

that, or you’re a genius.. hmmm 😕

hora
    Free Member

The moment that I realised girls are just like men but they can sugar-coat lies.

baldSpot
    Free Member

You will have to settle down eventually.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me & my (ex) Mrs were going through a bad time & she said she was going away on her own for the weekend to get her head together & think about things.
    My mate went missing, saying he was away on business.

CLANGGG!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Don’t tell anyone and make sure you dont get caught.. works on many levels

hora
    Free Member

Essel seriously?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Essel seriously?

Absolutely.
    & I was right. 😳

sneakyg4

When I was a young man I treated people and particularly girls like disposable assets, constantly cheating, dumping and generally using people without regard for the consequences. Then the tables got turned, I met someone who i thought was wonderful who turned the tables and did it to me.

Penny dropped, I am pretty ashamed of myself for how I acted back then.

meehaja
    Free Member

hard times come, hard times go. And repeat. I could quote boetheus, but I feel springsteen is more appropriate for this forum.

davidjones15
    Free Member

When I realised that the people I should trust are complete and utter shits.

zippykona

When the squaddies got dragged from their car and beaten to death in N.I. They had strayed into a funeral procession for some people who were killed when someone threw a hand grenade at the funeral of the I.R.A people killed in Gibraltar .
    When the I.R.A people were killed by the S.A.S I cheered like we had won the World Cup. Those events led to the death of 2 soldiers. From that point it clicked that killing people is wrong. It’s for all of us to say NO.

loddrik
    Free Member

Last year when I realised that despite blowing all my savings and then getting massively into debt to pursue an education which, due to recession etc, is now not going to do much for me. Nearly 40 and financially where most people are in their mid twenties, except I now realise that I have no immediately optimistic career options and the realisation that I’m never going to be particularly well off.

I did it all way too late and the current financial situation has worked against me more than most it seems.

piemonster

Last year when I realised that despite blowing all my savings and then getting massively into debt to pursue an education which, due to recession etc, is now not going to do much for me. Nearly 40 and financially where most people are in their mid twenties, except I now realise that I have no immediately optimistic career options and the realisation that I’m never going to be particularly well off.

I did it all way too late and the current financial situation has worked against me more than most it seems.

There is more to life than monetary and positional gain, no doubt the above is tough. But the other things in life are far more precious.

brakes
    Free Member

when I realised that EVERYONE is just blagging it

bencooper
    Free Member

When I left university, got a proper graduate job, was sitting in a big office earning decent money but bored and surrounded by tubby balding men, it suddenly clicked – my life doesn’t have to follow the plan laid out for it.

Quit the next day, have never worked for anyone else since.

samuri
    Free Member

I think I’m on the downslope to one of these moments.
    I know what I should do. What I’m doing now is making me unhappy.
    Doing what I want to do will possibly make me happy…but poor. I’m not sure if that will make me unhappy.

atlaz
    Free Member

I used to have a boss who made unreasonable demands and was really prone to massive outbursts for no real reason (looking for problems at work because his kids were annoying him at home etc). For several years I let his behaviour rule how I lived my life (checking email constantly, weekend and late night working, working on holiday etc). One day I was watching a documentary about Buddhism and it was talking about one of the fundamentals of the religion is acceptance. Something clicked and I realised that actually just accepting he was the way he was and that it wasn’t something I could change would be more helpful than tying myself in knots.

I’ve not turned into a much better person, I just don’t allow other people to influence my moods and well being as much as I have in the past. If I can affect change I will, if it’s not within my ability, I try to accept it and move along. Sort of a trite philosophy but it works for me.

tracknicko
    Free Member

bencooper +1

spent my whole life up to that point going through the motions (decent education, decent degree etc.), took a well regarded graduate job and realised i had just sold myself and mapped out my entire future up to the age of 67 ish.

a very depressing couple of years watching the summer go by out of the window before i realised that i didn’t have to be like those guys, and promptly left. (much to their shock)

time not money.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

when I realised that EVERYONE is just blagging it

Absolutely, especially in marketing

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The penny dropped moments in life…………’ is closed to new replies.