Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The Paris agreement, long term Gas boiler phase out
  • scratch
    Free Member

I might have dug out a couple of Daily Express panicky headlines while researching but…

Being phased out in the next 15 years?

What’s the alternative? From what I can see it’s currently quite limited?

I was just about to go for a Worcester Conventional unit to replace my ancient ungraded 1987 Myson Apolo but I may as well hang on a bit now, it’s currently working just 60-65% efficient….

I did like the Express/Mail take on Gas heated houses being worth less long term (PANIC!!!!)

maccruiskeen

‘phased out’ would just mean no longer sold. Existing gas boilers won’t suddenly vanish. They stopped making cars with 4 Star engines but my MGB didn’t turn to dust (any quicker than a 1970s british built car would have done so anyway)

jam-bo

but my MGB didn’t turn to dust

have you checked the garage recently?

Kit
    Free Member

What would make more sense would be to build such efficient houses that the boiler is barely needed = much reduced CO2, cheaper bills, happier people.

But that won’t happen…

trail_rat
    Free Member

and replace them with what ?

If its not the cars using all our electric itll be the boilers… hell we going to go back to the stone age in the next 15 years ffs

allthepies
    Free Member

Get a Tesla and run it on a mahoosive treadmill/generator thing hooked up to some eleccy heaters.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The grid is more or less at capacity now.

If you made all the central heating electric and all the cars electric it just couldn’t cope.

I have been investigating, vertical bore, ground source heat pumps, apparently they give you between 3 and 4 kw of heat, for 1 kw of electricity, they may be the route I go in the future but I’m sticking with oil for now.

maccruiskeen

and replace them with what ?

Just sign up for RHI and literally watch the world burn!

🙂

scratch
    Free Member

I get the phase out thing but to a degree wouldn’t it be ‘can’t get the parts anymore’ you’ll need a new unit (selling more units for manufactures?) but yeah they’ll not all conk out at s set date 15 year from now

I know very little about this…but after quickly researching, thermal solar (needs gas/electric heat top up) and PV – won’t generate the power needed at the early morning / evening time if day in winter.

The current alternatives look slim…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I doubt it will happen in that timeline.

There isn’t a replacement technology and the issue of fuel poverty will scupper it

And biomethane could be increased to offset the co2

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The grid is more or less at capacity now.

If you made all the central heating electric and all the cars electric it just couldn’t cope.

Not strictly true, we’ll just move towards smarter grids.

At the moment they assume that not everyone wants a cup of tea simultaneously, so the grid doesn’t need to generate enough to power everyones kettles.

Substitute kettles for heating your house and you have a problem because everyone wants ~3 hours every morning and evening, and they’ll overlap. Same for charging your car. But if the grid could control those things. and heat your house up earlier, or charge your car at 4am rather than 6pm then it can shave the peaks off and can be much more efficient (in terms of infrastructure use).

An average sized house with solar panels on the roof will generate more than enough energy for it’s own consumption, we just need the infrastructure to use that during the daytime (e.g your car charges at work whilst the suns out, then you drive home and plug it in, but it powers your house).

I doubt it will happen in that timeline.

There isn’t a replacement technology and the issue of fuel poverty will scupper it

Air source heat pumps are pretty much the same cost as gas boilers.

People with solar panels and tariffs which measure generation rather than export can effectively run them for free on their panels too.

Bear
    Free Member

I think you will find that is for new build houses, there is no way with our current housing stock that boilers will be disappearing soon.
    In fact much of the new housing stock won’t be around in 100 years, well that’s my prediction as they are made of cheese and assembled monkeys with one arm who can’t read or understand consequences or why we bother having any rules about why you should follow regulations as a minimum and should be aiming for best practice.
    Actually think this is probably driven by the big house building companies and their shareholders, but the current skill level in construction is frightening.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

hell we going to go back to the stone age in the next 15 years ffs

Starts in about 15 months doesn’t it? ;o)

retro83
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

An average sized house with solar panels on the roof will generate more than enough energy for it’s own consumption, we just need the infrastructure to use that during the daytime (e.g your car charges at work whilst the suns out, then you drive home and plug it in, but it powers your house).

Is that not going to be a bit of a problem in winter though? I mean Shirley demand will be at its highest when solar production is at its lowest?

maccruiskeen

Is that not going to be a bit of a problem in winter though? I mean Shirley demand will be at its highest when solar production is at its lowest?

With the current advances in wind and solar generation its only a matter of time before be manage to harness the potential of drizzle and fog.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes it will. That’s why the grid is a) bigger than your house, b) smart.

a) if the grid is bigger (interconnected everywhere from Norway to North Africa) the chances of no hydro in Norway, no wind in the UK, no tidal in France, and no sun in Africa, simultaneously become very small.

b) A smart grid can turn your heating and car charging on and off as the supply fluctuates. So if the sun goes behind a cloud in Morocco, your Tesla stops charging, but you don’t get a brownout.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So it’s time to train as a spark/mechatronics engineer to maintain all these smart electronics that are going to need maintaining …..just look at how maby threads there are bout boilers…..

Greybeard
    Free Member

An average sized house with solar panels on the roof will generate more than enough energy for it’s own consumption

Not quite true in my experience. We use about 4MWhrs/yr and our panels generate 3MWhr/yr. Without any storage, we use about half what the panels generate.

footflaps

Back to the OP, there doesn’t appear to be anything in the Paris Accord specifying detailed methods e.g. gas boiler phase out, so I think it’s all a tabloid scare story.

In the Paris Agreement, each country determines, plans and regularly reports its own contribution it should make in order to mitigate global warming.[6] There is no mechanism to force[7] a country to set a specific target by a specific date,[8] but each target should go beyond previously set targets.

scratch
    Free Member

Thanks FF I’d not dug that deep, id noticed a few trade journeys pick up on the story but they probably got wind via the Mail etc. I’ll crack on with the swap

RoterStern
    Free Member

We even got a grant from the German government of over a thousand euros to replace the gas boiler/heating system with a modern hi tech version a few months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘The Paris agreement, long term Gas boiler phase out’ is closed to new replies.