Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The pain of loosing a dog or animal
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Simply I lost my dog on Friday which is hard to say just how much I loved her… Was very sudden needed opening up ASAP the vet thought infected womb, dog was not eating, drinking loads, urinating more, so remove it job, standard procedure in many ways. But it was more complicated then initially thought some other anomalies were found when cut open for op, dog was really yellow inside I was told which was not good obviously and trepidation was with me from that point! What seemed a positive outcome diagnosis originally then filled me with dread.

Got the dreaded call middle of the night (Friday) the one you never want to hear. The dogs heart had stopped and past away… I guess she was recovering from the initial op and peacefully passed away in recovery 8 hours later they could not revive her 🙁 I’m still waiting on some bloods and some bits they took while inside operating for tests which might have helped them understand what was going on over the next few days, or any possible treatment, diagnosis, if she had pulled through.. I had noticed her getting more tired when fetching balls and panting more this summer but I just thought old age is coming on slowing down just turned 8 years. Maybe there was more going on.

Horrible time and the void it leaves is immense, I’m at home a fair bit so spent a lot of time with the her, walked a lot, played etc, I also live on my own so its that bit harder, my dad is cut up too, he looked after the dog a fair bit at his house my parents walked her and all that.

I took her from the vet wrapped up in a blanket and buried her on her bed at her favourite walking spot. Which was insanely hard to do but my best mate helped me. All in the space of 24 hours…

People say are you getting another dog but that thought seems bad, I lost my other dogs over the years, one old boy lived his full life and the other died as a 9 month old pup a German Pointer and spent a few months being ill. I’m thinking I can’t cope with the despair it can bring.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Very sorry for your loss

We are on our first ever dog (always had cats but never a dog) and although she is only 3 I can only imagine how heart-breaking it will be when the day comes to say goodbye to her

zippykona

New dog always works. It’s like turning the lights back on.
    You loved your dog and gave them a good life. It’s time to make another dog lucky.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrlebowski
    Free Member

t’s time to make another dog lucky.

THIS.

cloudnine
    Free Member

😥 man hugs

My lab is literally on his last legs with hip dysplasia.. I know it’s his last summer and tried to make it fun for the old boy… In some ways I’d prefer to come down and him pass away in his sleep rather than have to call the vet out because he can no longer get up.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I think I had something in my back sub conscious mind cloudnine. I have not been sleeping for a few weeks up to this and kept wondering for some reason how I would be if anything happened to the dog as its such a big part of my life. I’d started spending that few more minutes playing with the ball or sit in the park than I normally would. Hard to explain the dog had also been a little weird in some ways too of late, thought not poorly per se.

rickmeister

Sorry to hear your story…. we had to say cheerio to one of our pets who wandered in as a stray and wriggled under our skin and into our lives…..

Our best pal is in a prime spot in the garden and its becoming usual to say “Evening Ed” if we have dinner outside…

We picked up another wee pal and there was two weeks of handing the baton across before it was obvious Ed needed to move on up…

Still hurts, there is a definite space in our lives, I really feel for you but it does get a little easier.

cranberry
    Free Member

Sorry, to hear what has happened – losing a pet can be really hard.

The despair they bring when they die is a small proportion of the pleasure that they bring into our lives each day they are with us – it sounds like she brought a great deal of pleasure to your life.

Be strong and, when the time is right, share all that love you have by making another dog very, very lucky.

richc
    Free Member

Sounds like you did your job well and gave her a great life, and loads and loads of company which pretty much all a dog wants.

I dread the time when its time for mine to move on, as I can’t imagine living without one, or two…

I would give it a week or so and then look into getting another, as it sounds like you can give one a great home.

jimmy

It’s one thing puts me off getting another dog – it wouldn’t ultimately because they’re ace for all the time you have them.

I went abroad to work for a ski season and knew our dog wouldn’t be there when I got back – cried all the way from home, through the flight to landing in Austria. Got on with the season as you would and then in March one day I’d been thinking how she was still going, this is good – only a month left so hopefully I’ll see her. That evening my dad called… This was 16 years ago and I’m welling up typing this. I grew up with her, she was my sister and even more so when my real sister left for Uni, we spent a lot of time together, many happy hours / days walking and genuinely having a laugh together.

But yes, it sounds like you gave her a good life. When the time’s right, make another dog very lucky and cherish the good times.

mt
    Free Member

It’s tough to lose a family member and we all know that dogs are family. A good cry does no harm, better out than in.

Don’t wait to long for another, for your dad as well as you.

sweepy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your dog mate.
    I tend to need a bit of a break to get over the loss before getting a new dog, I think **** it I dont want to go through this again but that’s what you sign up for when you take one on. And I’m always glad when I do get the new one.
    On balance I get way more happiness out of a dog than I do sadness.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Thanks guys I didn’t think I’d be on my own with the reactions to this. I had a similar emotion to my last dog who died but it was only 9 months old it spent the last two months being nursed by me to try and get it right but ultimately it lost the battle and had to be put to sleep…The exact same feeling I have now walking around numb and not quite with it. I can’t face walking the route I normally do up to my parents without the dog… I’d rather walk a longer way than the route I did with her. Think I’m guna do a bit of road commuting for my exercise for the time being on the bike to avoid it.

vickypea
    Free Member

Sorry to hear. I can imagine how you feel, as I’ve got a cat and I can’t believe how attached I’ve become to her.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Having never experienced real true loss like a death or someone or something I was close to it was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done and similarly to you it happened in the space of about 48 hours. If you’re anything like me you’ll blame yourself completely for what happened (I’m 100% saying this isn’t true but people tell me that too and I don’t listen) and for this reason it took me a year after I lost my boxer to finally say I want another dog and then it took time waiting for the right one. People always used to say just get another boxer but for me she was my boxer, to get another would of been disrespectful to her and what she was. She was perfect in every way and was always with me no matter where or what I did, completely fickle though in that if she met someone new she’d sit with them rather than choosing to sit with me. Getting another dog any sooner for me would of meant not mourning her and not respecting that loss. Even after the year at first I found it hard when Ziva came home to love her and let her close enough to love her because I was t sure I could bare the loss again but eventually I relaxed. I’ve never forgiven myself, all I’ve done is learnt a painful lesson and I guess it makes me the dog owner I am now. I don’t handle Ziva being unwell very well and the worry tends to consume me but that’s just a part of owning a dog as we choose to. We are their ambassadors. The fact you care so much shows that you’re a good owner and when you’re ready the happiness of owning a dog will be something you can’t resist.

Ziva sends doggy kisses, well she would if she either knew and spent time with you for approx a month constantly as it takes that long to earn her trust and love or if she wasn’t sulking walking with me right now because God forbid has had to Come for her after work hour and a half walk where she could be sleeping or eating!

Wookster

Oh mate, my heart goes out to you. She sounds like a very happy and loved dog. You can tell this by how you two played fetch and had a favourite place to walk.

It’s a huge loss to take. Time does heal, ( I know this having lost a few now 🙁 ) and when the time is right and you meet the right dog or pup for you then go for it.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Absolutely gutted for you mate. We lost our ten year old Border Collie last month, it happened literally over night and I was working away in London so when I left she was fine, when I came back she was gone. The local taxi company in Baildon wouldn’t take dogs and the other half had an absolute nightmare getting her to the Emergency Vets in Bradford but, just after they arrived, she had to be put down. It must have been a horrendous night and I feel a bit guilty for not being there.

Both of us are gutted, especially the Mrs as it was her dog. We have a three year old BC and it has helped having him around but I honestly don’t think we will be getting another – I can’t see my better half going through the grief again.

Went for a walk on the moors yesterday and spread her ashes in a couple of places that were her favourites, hope this may bring a bit of closure but we’ll see.

pingu66
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your sad news.

Lost my beautiful Ridgeback in March very very quickly. Walking her on Sunday spotted some blood in her urine, hospitalised then the call to get there asap.

Cried like a child. Still have her brother but the loss hit me harder than I thought. Irreplaceable.

Think of the warmth love and happiness you shared.

If you need support there is a community called Rainbow Bridge (google it and its there) for help with the loss of your pet. Only pet owners can understand.

Man hugs.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I really feel for you. We are three and half years in with our first dog and she’s just unbelievable. I don’t know how we’ll cope when the dreaded day comes.

As zippykona says, give another dogs an incredible life.

Sandwich

Leaving the vets with just a collar is the very worst. A man hug from me and the right dog will happen along in time.

AdamW
    Free Member

I feel for you OP. Just thinking about Brân leaving us makes me all teary-eyed. When the day comes I will be a complete physical wreck. The only thing that cheers me is that I’ve given him a good life so far and hopefully more to come.

Wait for a while then look to see if another different, but still fun, friend can be saved from a life of kennels and cages.

rosscore
    Free Member

Know exactly how you feel, and I’m sorry to read of your pain, but you have to get another sooner or later, life is a pretty dull and loveless place without one, we’ve all suffered a similar fate.. us serial dog owner/lovers.

jamj1974

Very gutted for you. Went through something similar not long ago. Grief is grief – it doesn’t matter what causes the grief, the fact it is an animal rather than a human being doesn’t make it less affecting or profound.

ourmaninthenorth

In my lifetime (nearly 40) my mother has owned 10 dogs. Some from pups, others rescued. (She’s also had several horses, two donkeys, a couple of goats and even some rabbits. Most of the animals were rescued and she has, over the years, put her heart and soul into caring for them.)

I have seen her heart broken so many times by their deaths. And, after every dog, there has been a gap before she had completed her grieving and felt able to take on another dog.

And that’s what it is: grief. Right now you’re I the worst place as your dog, your best friend, has been so quickly taken. But, give it some time. You’ll be ok and the memories of those eight years will live on as happy ones.

oink1
    Free Member

Sorry mate,that sucks.I didn’t know our doggie had passed until after the fact (Moved out from parents) Still kills me I didn’t get to say goodbye 😥 Hope life improves for you soon.

AndyRT
    Free Member

It always hurts. It wouldn’t be love otherwise. Looking at Rescue dogs tomorrow. Embarking on a next chapter, trepidation and excitement is my current mood, with the feeling I’m 2 timing my Golden Retriver. He’s 8, lovely but could do with a friend too I think.

Death is part of life, losing family is not easy, but the memories are yours to keep and share. I for one could not see myself ever living without a hound.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘The pain of loosing a dog or animal’ is closed to new replies.