Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • the other forum
  • molgrips
    Free Member

DGOAB are you doing lejog with yeti?

87kg this morning, that’s 13st9. Hey, I’m under 14st – cool 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

A day or so…mainly to provide them with another view to look at 😛

But lejog will be a walk in the park compared to june and july 👿

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s happening then?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Her Dirtyness and I are going to try and kill each other.

iDave
    Free Member

Nice one Mol, so, this silly diet, do you reckon there might be something in it?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

What he said….the power struggle for convent leader is on with some silly challenges planned.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molgrips… you’re catching up with me pretty damn quickly then!
    I really haven’t got anywhere to go with my weight… save cutting off a limb.

Ain’t nothing silly about these challenges… excpet the Tiffin eating one.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    Is it a special black Orange 5 though Woppit? You need a black one now.

I do? Damn, just can’t keep up anymore…

iDave
    Free Member

No one told me there was Tiffin involved….

This convent, how unConventional is it?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

[evil mode]The tiffin one is to fatten you up my pretty to give me an advantage on the climbs mwah ha hahahah. [/evil mode]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave – I already asked if you want to join the management team. Even if it’s just in a consultancy capacity.

It’s going to engender a cult like devotion in our followers (non-religious, get back in your box Woppit) based on the key principles of tiffin and training until you drop. Oh and coffee. And red wine. Maybe a bit of yoga every now and then.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice one Mol, so, this silly diet, do you reckon there might be something in it?

🙂

I didn’t think it silly, I was intensely sceptical due to lack of knowledge of the science. Now I know the science I understand where it comes from.

molgrips… you’re catching up with me pretty damn quickly then!

You’ve got a while yet don’t worry. But it’s all about power to weight.. get a power tap and tell me your threshold power 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What on earth is a powertap??

iDave
    Free Member

Don’t listen yeti, don’t go near power devices. It takes life to a new level of complexity. Stay focused on pain and tiffin.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Don’t forget the lyrca…yoga is to be a daily ritual yeti, did you miss that bit?

Oh, and if i do join the team, you do realise it will be the worst weather ever experienced…any mtb event i’ve done the weather has been awful in all years i’ve taken part, hot/sunny/heatwave in the years i don’t. Road racing/sportives fairs slightly better so far.

EDIT: pain and tiffin could be our mantra, liking that a lot! Its all about the pain and pleasure! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

And I just fitted mine last night…

Oh, and if i do join the team, you do realise it will be the worst weather ever experienced

That’s a tall claim.. I’ve done 24hr races in some pretty terrible weather…

Yeti.. power tap is a hub that tells you your power output. A very illuminating and useful tool for the geeks…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahh yes.. there will be lycra. Dirty and I will look good in it and the embarrassment for the followers should act as an extra incentive.

Which reminds me I need to do some online shopping.

Molgrips – I only use an HRM in the gym. I don’t even have a cadence measuring thingame. I don’t think a powertap is for me 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

yeti can’t even use a computer, that poor chap who he sends out to represent him at social events has to type everything up for him… fat furry fingers you see!

molgrips
    Free Member

Cadence schmadence – power is the one you need.

Seriously it’s very useful – your HRM is only useful as an approximation to power output anyway.. But it’s not cheap.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why? What are it’s benefits? How much?

The one’s I just looked at were obscenely priced. I could get a lot of coaching for that. Or just buy shiny stuff instead. Everyone knows that shiny stuff is the best way to improve your riding anyway.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Embrace the gadgets and masculinity yeti 🙂

On a more serious note, this is 8 weeks before my marathon (if all goes well). I’m not yet sure how sensible it is (tho yeti has stepped up his game a little is working on me) and I may well have running legs, not cycling ones by then. And I’m a mincing roadie these days too.

Dave, any suggestions on hydrating? I’m suffering badly and no amount if nuun, water, 50/50 oj/water, coconut water is helping.

DezB
    Free Member

What’s going on here then? I’ve been learning how to ride from the roadies over there <—–
    Surely you need lessons from them too?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Missed this bit

Or just buy shiny stuff instead

…you are going to have to work on the bribes having read that 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

Why? What are it’s benefits? How much?

Well the theory is that you get a blood lactate test so you know at what power your blood lactate starts to pick up – this is the best point at which to do base training. Then you do a 10 mile time trial and this should be your anaerobic threshold.

This is basically the same as using percentages of max HR to calculate zones but much more accurate. Your HR varies quite a bit based on all sorts of thigns and it can also drift through a ride.

Then when you ride you can ride at constant power which means that 99% of your ride is targetted exercise up hill and down dale. And for intervals it stops you slacking off in later sets.

It also gives you a metric for progress and you can race yourself to try and beat previous average wattages.

In practise you might feel that this detracts from the joy of riding, or you might get a kick out of playing the numbers and beating your records.. I suspect that it’s not a tool for everyone and I’ve cooled down on it a lot after the first couple of seasons.

As for prices, well new ones are a grand ish, but the old wired ones come up on the bay frequently and they are 300 ish I think.

Dave, any suggestions on hydrating?

I’m not Dave, but Torq flavoured is worth a try 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I can buy some shiny lycra? Is that good? Or is buying shiny stuff a no-no?

Molgrips that does indeed sound like a good training tool. I’m not serious enough to spend that sort of money though. Plus when I’m on the bike it’s normally more for the enjoyment… HIIT is for the rowing machine.

So I’ll just go with the old pain, dizziness and feeling like I’m going to throw up my lungs measures of exertion.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rowing machine.. gah…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the rowing machine??

molgrips
    Free Member

They’re grim, that’s what.

iDave
    Free Member

yeti, stay true to pain and vomit – don’t listen to the sparkly shiny untruths

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think they’re bloody hard work… doing HIIT resting at 2min / 500m and working hard at anything below 1:40 / 500m…

molgrips
    Free Member

Untruths?

Pah.

All I am doing is reporting a training idea that some people use. It’s up to you if you feel it’ll work for you or not…

Re rowing.. if I actually rowed in real life then I’d feel better about doing it in a gym I suppose.. doesn’t push my buttons.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I can buy some shiny lycra? Is that good? Or is buying shiny stuff a no-no?

I meant for me…im talking shiny bike bits, maybe a cx or tt bike, shoes, jewellery….all the sorts of things bribes should be about (shiny lycra won’t cut the deal) 🙂

Mol, i like the power idea. I’m getting a V02/power test done, probably in May. Then throw it all out of the window by cutting right back on my riding and turning my attention to running for the second half of the season 🙄 How does the torq stuff work – any different to what i’ve been trying? I can’t take much more of being dehydrated.

iDave
    Free Member

DGOAB – you can run and bike – really, without messing up either.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Darn, I could just promise to stop stalking you?

That’s got to be worth a fair amount of shiny stuff?

trickydisco
    Free Member

You can always hire a powermeter you know

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powermeter-rental-24-c.asp

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

In that case dave ygm soon if you don’t mind. I struggle to be able to balance both, found that when i was running it ruined my cycling…was very aerobically fit but cycling performance went out of the window. Would love to be able to find a balance.

Yeti, can i not have shiny stuff and a stalker please?

iDave
    Free Member

Mol, just teasing about powertaps, we use them in work, I personally don’t though as riding a bike is only about fun for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Torq is just energy drink with lots of electrolytes – the only real differences are that it’s fructose 3:1 which is better according to some study or other, and it’s naturally flavoured and has no aspartame/cancer chemicals in it.

It seems to work noticably better than plain maltodextrin, and works better than other energy drinks on account of a) it being yummy enough to drink plenty of* b) doesn’t give you heartburn and c) stays down.

* only yummy when riding tho, gross and salty when not.

iDave – fair point, I only fitted mine to get a vague idea of progress and to stop myself riding in too hard in the mornings.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Ah…i use high 5 4:1 and nuun when riding and am happy with that combination, but i’m not talking about hydration when riding as thats usually fine. I’m pretty badly dehydrated and have been for a few weeks, and am struggling to hydrate again properly.

iDave
    Free Member

have you tried drinking lots of water, with a tiny wee pinch of salt?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘the other forum’ is closed to new replies.