perthmtb - Member
chewkw, I'd be interested to hear your views on something I witnessed many times in Asia. Chinese in your category 1. above ie native born, seemed to feel a strong resentment towards those in category 2 ie overseas born Chinese.
This was particularly obvious when a naive western company would transfer an arrogant young Chinese-American MBA graduate to their mainland Chinese office in the belief that as he looked Chinese he'd know how to get on with 'them'. The mainland Chinese would without fail turn on this poor guy and make his life hell, much more so than the western staff, who they grudgingly accepted.
I've always put this down to jealousy, or feelings that a 'banana' as they called them (yellow on the outside but white on the inside) is somehow a traitor to their race. But I'd be interested to hear your take on it?
A delicate balance I see ...
LOL! That would be a disaster when a young MBA try to rule the Confucius minded masses with his Harvard business knowledge.
Better just send a Gweilo to do the job as at least they might just forgive you for being a barbaric foreigner and bow to your barbaric force. Mind you they will still sabotage you or work to rule and definitely call you names behind your back - a must.
Yes, they don't like the young banana MBA for various reasons:
1. They want to treat him as equal but treating him as equal means young MBA needs to know his place. i.e. no young MBA banana must rule over older/experienced bureaucrats unless back up by fair barbaric force.
2. They want him to be on their sides i.e. he is Chinese, looks Chinese, may or may not speak proper Chinese ... not that important but until they know where he stands they see him as a traitor. In this case it very obvious that he is a traitor representing foreign company and still think that he is there to spy on them.
3. Confucius teaching. Respect the elders and never send a young man to rule over the "bureaucrats". It's a bit like the old dynasty where a young chap needs climb his way up accordingly with support from various dodgy players in the hierarchical order.
4. Jealousy ... Young MBA lives high life and they want that too. Hang on ... they are slaves so resent young MBA.
The solutions (choose one or combination) ... again a very delicate balance as you are dealing with far superior civilisation ...
1. Mongol style - fair but barbaric. Not the JapLand style because they were unfair and barbaric (they loved sex and thought they were superior). Victorian style - no good because they were treated as slaves.
2. Modern western style - you need to adjust your management style to incorporate Chinese Confucius/bureaucrat thinking. If you show too much respect (too lenient) for them your are doomed. If you are too hard on them when they do not understand the rationale behind it then you're doomed.
3. Young MBA might need a Chinese bureaucrat mentor but then that comes with another can of worm ... puppet etc.
For me I prefer the Mongol style ... fair but barbaric.