• This topic has 62 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • The Olympics, is it just me…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Or does anyone else think the whole event is going to be one big embarrassing cock up?
    Hasn’t got off to a good start & it hasn’t even started!

bikeneil
    Free Member

It’s not just you.

rewski
    Free Member

Take your negative vibes elsewhere 🙄

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I couldnt care less about it. It in no way benefits the North West England. We have third world roads, trains from the early 90’s while London gets more money spunked on it. Frankly i hope its a flop.

Drac

Nearly as embarrassing as posting in the wrong forum

wwaswas

bar the whole g4s thing I think people will see problems or successes dependign on how they look at things in life.

The press will focus on ‘issues’ because that’s how the uk press works.

I suspect there’ll be the odd cock-up but that 99% of things will go well.

Frankly, getting the physical infrastructure in place on time without major cock-up has surprised me.

swavis

It’ll be like any other olympics, I’ll be watching on the telly. There should be a bit more home support though and I won’t have to stay up late/get up early to watch most of it 😉

vinnyeh

It in no way benefits the North West England.

It’s the London Olympics, though tourists are free to venture up to the North. If they wish..

We have third world roads, trains from the early 90’s..

So does London, according to the forumites who visit from the North. Comes with the territory of being an old , organically grown, densely populated area.

It’s a bloody shame there seems to be less emphasis on reporting the upcoming sport than on talking about the infrastructure, but that’ll change in a few days.

A couple of medals for the UK, and I’m sure you’ll cheer up though.

kimbers

im sure itll work out fine

they will just keep throwing more money/troops/police at it till any problems are solved(whats another few million when youve already spent £9000000000+)

the only issues might be transport- the existing network is already overloaded at peak times

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it will be fine, especially now the weather looks like it’s turning. Personally though I couldn’t give much of a crap about it other than watching some of the sports I enjoy. The whole ticket thing is a joke, so many disappointed people early on and now they conveniently keep finding new tickets for expensive seats? Pfft, give me a break. May as well be in another country for all I care now.

donsimon
    Free Member

I wish them well and have decided that if it is a failure it should be called the London Olympics yet if it is a roaring success I believe the reference should be the British Olympics. Seems fair to me.

jota180
    Free Member

Or does anyone else think the whole event is going to be one big embarrassing cock up?

It’ll be OK

Personally, I have zero interest in watching sport [except motorsport] so will endeavour to avoid it at all costs as impossible as that’s likely to be

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shame they pulled the bmx expo event.

****s.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I suspect whatever was done there would still be miserable f’ers in here whinging about it.

Perhaps you should go ride you bike or something

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

It’ll be brilliant.

cheez0
    Free Member

Theres nothing else to talk about before the spears get chucked, the bikes get rode and the sweat starts to fall.

Once the gun goes off all the ‘wifi not working’ ‘big queues at macdonalds’ and ‘theres illegals guarding the venues’ will be forgotton.

Shame we wont all have to get up in the middle of the night to watch the canoeists winning gold. That was kinda fun!

Pigface
    Free Member

There was a guy on the radio talking about how the Sydney games went, 48hrs before the games actually started people werent that into it but then he said it went crazy with the whole place buying into it en masse and making it a wonderful event.

I hope the same thing happens here.

I am not into most of the sports but really hope that the athletes who have worked so hard for this achieve their goals and get the rewards they deserve.

I was cynical about it but am getting a bit excited now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the 48hr thing is interesting, I assume it takes a lot of energy to get wound up by things and hate them that most of the miserable ones just give up…..

samuri
    Free Member

We have third world roads, trains from the early 90’s..

So does London, according to the forumites who visit from the North. Comes with the territory of being an old , organically grown, densely populated area.

Nah, I have used your southern roads and trains. The former are smooth, the latter have sufficient room and one even had air conditioning on it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Southern roads are smooth 😯 you sir have never driven around St Albans. Pot holes are the most effective traffic calming in that town.

donsimon
    Free Member

Pot holes are the most effective traffic calming in that town.

Those pot holes are lined with gold, aren’t they?

stumpy01

I am really looking forward to it.
    Seems to be the done thing to bash anything this country tries to do & find any excuse to moan & be negative.

The ticket thing was pretty lame, but I have managed to get tickets to a footie match & an evening session at the Olympic stadium for the athletics.

Bit gutted I didn’t get any tickets to the mtb.

SamCooke
    Free Member

I’m pretty dosillusioned with it already, and before folks start saying how this is down to me rather then the organisatiion, you need to look at how little they have done to engage the average citizen, and how much they have done to alienate them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you need to look at how little they have done to engage the average citizen, and how much they have done to alienate them.

I assume you were waiting for Lord Coe to bring some tickets round…

Every story is getting spun more ways than it can cope with right now.

Sit back and enjoy, as said above once it kicks off most will forget they hate it.

For some simple things
    Olympic Lanes – Need some way to get athletes round london with out making them run there
    Tickets – Current batch being returned are from other olympic organisations abroard so they are more likely to be hight value ones.
    Football Tickets – More sold than for the Euro’s
    Sponsors – They don’t pay for nothing, part of how it’s funded
    G4S – well we knew they were crap

stumpy01

Engage the average citizen….! Hmmm.

The torch that has just been round the whole country seemed to do that pretty well. Loads of people I have spoken to have been to see it.

I went to see it as it passed through our town and even though it was raining hard, the streets were absolutely packed with people of all ages cheering it on.

onehundredthidiot

Not fussed, really want to see our sportspeople do well but the cost and general bad management seem to be a pain (ok not general but….). I can’t see how it feeds money back into the country as a whole to the same extent as it’s costing but that aside will watch bits and ignore others as per all olypmics before.

Main concern is the security, OH is going down to help on the thin blue line, she volunteered and knew when it was happening but according to her rota she’s working 19 days solid with no rest days and they have no idea where they will be, can’t be front line as the arrest procedures are different.

Mounty_73

Oh surprise surprise! Another negative thread on the Olympics, shock!

Why cant everyone just get into the spririt of it and enjoy the build up and the 2 weeks! 😉

I am really looking forward to it all especially all the bike events!

BRING IT ALL ON !!!!! GO TEAM GB! GO TEAM GB! GO TEAM GB!

🙂

PS. What is it with the British and moaning?! 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

It would have been nicer to have had it somewhere else. Our athletes could have done just as well without all the money spent.
    I remember seeing somehwere that this was the peoples games. It’s anything but. Maybe that is the way it has to run but don’t try to convince those who gain nothing .
    The torch. What a farce. Great if its you carrying but other wise it just cost a lot of people time and money.
    The press etc keep on about the ever increasing excitement. I have yet to see any apart from a scepticism about how many British cyclists are going to cock it up on the day. I am sure its a big thing in London but out in the stick many people couldn’t care less.
    Good luck to our athletes.

lazybike
    Free Member

The actuall sport part is great….the rest of it, well…where do you start!

porter_jamie

i struggle to reconcile the idea of the worlds greatest sporting event being sponsored by the likes of mcdonalds and coca cola.

all just seems a bit wrong to me really

tails
    Free Member

I think it’s okay but worse than China and I imagine Brazil will do a better job. The stadiums and organization are great, but why can a normal person like myself not get a ticket just 1 f**king ticket for the athletics stadium. /jobs for the boys as usual for that reason I could not care less if I sinks. They also need to sell that stadium quickly as in a years time it’ll be empty and the area will start going downhill again.

jumble
    Free Member

they will just keep throwing more money/troops/police at it till any problems are solved(whats another few million when youve already spent £9000000000+)

^^^ this talking to guys working on the sites for the last few months. I don’t think anyone will ever really know how much.

It won’t be a big cock-up, but there will be lots of individual little cock-ups (like bus drivers not checking they knew how to use their kit).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I spent a lot of time at the World Cup in SA and remember my lasting impression was one of vulgarity and waste mixed with admiration for the grace and dignity of the locals in the face of grotesque conspicuous consumption especially among the FIFA elite. However, I hope the Olympics will be different. My lack of success at the tickets (rekindling my WC feelings) has dampened my enthusiasm and almost said so to Coe when I saw him in passing this week (going for a jog and looking v relaxed indeed). But after the folly that is the opening charade, my enthusiasm will be up at the top of the scale.

Can’t help feeling that there are going to be lots of surprises for the big names – Bolt, and even Hoy and Pendleton but hope to be proven wrong especially by our brilliant cyclists. So time fr positive vibes and support to see them home!

DezB
    Free Member

After watching the Bolt & Pendleton documentaries I’m quite excited about the 100m and the track cycling. Will certainly be shouting at me telly when Queen Vic’s on!
    BBC are doing a good build-up job. As for the opening ceremony, who can’t wait to see the weirdness of that?!

tails
    Free Member

I was thinking bolt looks vulnerable but surely blake and gay can’t beat him! Really want Cav to get a gold and would love to see Farah do the double and Ben Ainslie to cement himself as our best ever olympian.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m really pleased with the all the positive comments, well done people 😀

I really hope all the amount of hard work and training that our athletes have put it pays off, the very least we can do is quit the moaning and support them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I heard on the news this morning that Danny Boyle had fallen out so badly with the organisers that he has an extra layer of security around his on-site trailer…

mortuk2k
    Free Member

actually I don’t think anyone has moaned at the sports people have they?
    It’s more the pre-Olympics ‘circus’.

Some justify the overt wall to wall corporate sponsorship by saying that is how it is funded. But we only need billions of funding because the Olympics has for some reason morphed from just the games, to also one of erecting a whole village of ‘look at us’ monuments. This has also brought about the rather curious ‘problem’ of having a legacy for these facilities.
    We have perfectly good stadiums all over this country. Having the games spread across existing facilities would also have reduced the load on transport infrastructure, and genuinely given the games to the people of the country.

We missed our chance to do things differently, which is what we’re so good at. Thumbed our nose at the world and done it our way.

But I cannot wait for it to start. Yes I’m gutted I can’t go, despite living less than an hour away on a mainline train link. Cynicism of what the Olympics is today, does not mean a lack of support or respect for our competitors.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘The Olympics, is it just me…’ is closed to new replies.