• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The old tyre mountain
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just had a count up and I have well over 20 worn but not quite binnable 26″ tyres in the cellar. There’s a bunch I moved house with and have been stuck in the corner ever since.

The majority I can’t see me ever using again, but equally I’m too tight/hoarder to just bin them, and anyway chucking stuff in landfill is always a crap answer.

There’s stuff like DH tyres that have got another uplift day or 2 left in them, but it’s been 6 years since I’ve done one. Swampthings – but Shortys are a much better winter allrounder. Loads of Maxxis 3Cs with mint centre sections and knackered side knobs. Conti Vert Pros from the days when they were considered to be decent tyre.

Feels like they’d be perfect for kids to do skids with or on hackbikes for towpathy kinda commuting, but I don’t know anybody who needs that who doesn’t already have their own tyre mountain.

Ideas…? Happy to post stuff out at cost (or a donation to RideSheffield/RADmires) if anybody needs anything like that…

chakaping
    Free Member

Local cycle recycling charity? Mine seemed very glad of a load of stuff I couldn’t sell.

Our tat is brilliant compared to the crap they get on a lot of the BSOs they work with.

joemmo
    Free Member

+1 to the above. I’ve taken a variety of stuff to a local bike recycling charity including part worn tyres.

gnusmas

I would happily take the conti vert pros off you, mine are very worn and i really like them.

Likewise, cycling charity of some sort.

amedias
    Free Member

As above, it’s the kind of stuff we love to get, quick google should find your local project 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I kind of assumed that everyone and his dog would be dumping old tyres on charity places and they’d have all they could stomach.

There’s one not so far from me I’ve mailed, so I’ll see what they come back with.

jekkyl

I’ve offered mine for free to anyone on here twice on the classifieds. Twice they’ve been ‘taken up’ and twice the person hasn’t bothering contacting me again after the inital interest.
    You can’t give them away!!!

FOG

I take tyres and loads of bits to the bike charity in Heeley Sheff. I felt some of the bits were a top crap but the guy there assured me they would come in handy for their projects.
    Can’t remember details offhand but a quick Google should reveal all

manvstarmac

Perfect answer – just emailed my local centre offering a stack of usable 26″ tyres and my bits and bobs which are ‘too good to throw away’ but which I can’t see myself ever using. Can’t believe I’d never thought of this.

PJay
    Free Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The old tyre mountain’ is closed to new replies.