Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The old dog has gone blind…
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

Just wanted to share this…..I dunno why…..

For the last couple of years. There's this dog. He's been a nasty piece of work. When we do one of our training loops we have to pass him. He comes racing up to his fence like a nutter, you worry that he's gonna come through it and have you. He nearly did have us once when he was outside his fence with his owner.

I love dogs, but I've never liked him. He's a nasty piece of work.

Just lately, maybe over the last couple of months, he's been a little subdued. We've wondered what's going on, and we've sussed it. He's gone completely blind! We weren't sure at first, but yesterday, when I rode past, he was sat almost next to the fence. I stopped and spoke to him. He looked at me and barked a bit (not his usual full on attack rant). I moved, quietly, he was still looking at where I was. I spoke again, again he turned towards me and barked. He really has gone totally blind.

Now, while I've hated this dog for his aggression I can't help but feel sorry for the old fecker.

Or maybe I should see it as payback time and give him a taste of my boot!!!

Thanks for reading.

SB
    PS – I wouldn't dream of harming him.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We used to ride the old Baslow loop in the peaks until they tarmac'ed the final decent. There was a short steep bit of track on that circuit that brought you out at the top of a cul-de-sac and there was always a lab laying on the grass outside that house. He'd always hear us coming and get off the lawn and out of the way even though we never got near him. As the years went on, each time we saw him, he'd move a little bit slower. One year, we came down that bit of track and there was no blond lab trying to get out of the way anymore. I know what you mean about feeling sorry for them.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hi Steve its life we had to put are 12 and half year old dobie down last week and my god it hurts.Just think of the owner.
    Your to fast for dogs to get you 😆

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Remember as a child I met a blind dog. None of my family even realised it was totally blind until the owner mentioned it in passing, as it ran round the owners garden and did normal looking activities quite happily. Maybe with such a good sense of smell and good hearing, its less of a problem than for humans, as it must be easier to work out where you are. It seemed a nice and happy dog.

takisawa2

My old pal had to go to sleep earlier this year.
    He had failing kidneys, had gone almost totally deaf, lost one eye & pretty much all of his sight in the other one. Oh, & to cap it all he was becoming steadily more senile. He used to forget where he was, start barking & the only way to stop was to go up & touch him so he'd look at you; at which point he'd remember again. Sounds very confusing but all this came on gradually, & I think unless the vet hadn't persuaded me that he was starting to suffer with his kidneys, I guess he'd still be at my feet right now. Daft old bugger.
    Why not get the old chap a treat next time you pass.
    But throw it close to him. 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    Dogs eh?

Why not get the old chap a treat next time you pass.

Taki, that's a nice idea. Perhaps something quite smelly though so that he can find it easily. I'll give it some thought.

SB

oldgit
    Free Member

I've got a lump in my throat, seriously.

We used to ride past one, it used to run along it's land paralel to the road and we'd always hoon it just in case. AS time went on it ran less and less until finally it would just lay near the gate. It even developed those sad old eyebrows that dogs get, poor old bugger.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The old dog has gone blind…’ is closed to new replies.