Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The Official 29erKeith Memorial Event day Thread
  • curto80
    Free Member

Last training session now done. 5000km of cycling and 1300km of running in the bag over the last 7 months. I’ve done everything I can.

450 mile drive from the South Coast to Edinburgh tomorrow.

Will be live updating this thread on the day (Sunday, 4am start).

Most importantly nearly £6.5k raised for Bloodwise, thanks in large part to you lot. Thank you – you’ve got me this far, I won’t let you down.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/nevergiveup2017

jambalaya
    Free Member

Watching with interest and admiration.

jamj1974

Best of luck!

pictonroad

Here we go. Good work, that’s some fair old training you’ve done, the event will be a breeze.*

*for me, YMMV

Best of luck to you.

stumpy01

Wow! Best of luck to you…

frankconway

Curto, you’re an inspiration.
    I hope all goes well.

robowns
    Free Member

Yes mate, go for it.

curto80
    Free Member

Time to head north. It feels way too early in the morning but this time Sunday I’ll be 5km in.

curto80
    Free Member

T-9 hours

Weather looks challenging – big head wind on the bike and lots of rain forecast for the ascent of the Ben.

All part of the challenge.

pictonroad

Tick tock. 8)

obadiah
    Free Member

All the best from your friends upt’ North

curto80
    Free Member

3:40am. Let’s do this.

Edinburgh castle, moet people out are just on their way home.

curto80
    Free Member

6am running over the forth bridge as I type

23km in still feeling good at the moment

blader1611
    Free Member

Keep going Curto, you are inspiring people with this effort. Good luck.

pictonroad

2nd cup of tea ‘as I type’

Good work lad.

curto80
    Free Member

Bike pit stop one. It’s freezing. 50km cycling done, 45km to the next one, one stage at a time

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well it wouldn’t be Scotland without some weather 😉

curto80
    Free Member

Half way through the bike. Windy but got a bit of train going through that bit so making reasonable time. Think I might have a stress fracture in my toe, every bit of uneven road hurts. Might be interesting up the highlands way

obadiah
    Free Member

We’re rooting for you Nath; hope you’ve got that hurty toe/foot strapped up by now – take care!

jamj1974

Keep up the good work if you can – injury permitting.

curto80
    Free Member

Sorry, had to get my race face on as started pushing up against the cut offs.

Finished just after 11pm.

I am absolutely broken but also so incredibly happy.

Thank you all of you, I just don’t have the words right now.

obadiah
    Free Member

😀 Fantastic you’re a star

frankconway

What a fantastic effort – huge well done.
    My words are inadequate for what you have done – and why you did it.
    Hero.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Brilliant.

thomthumb
    Free Member

amazing. looking forward to a race report; once you’ve recovered.

jamj1974

Well done.

Drac

Superb.

blader1611
    Free Member

Top class effort Nath. I am sure Keith will be smiling and applauding in equal measures.

curto80
    Free Member

Hi all

Right this is going to be my last post on this and then it’s time to let go, not to mention stop annoying you lot with this nonsense 😉

Got back to Hampshire at 8pm last night after a trouble free drive back down from Scotland. Took my brother in law, my wife and my 6yr old princess to help me out of the van but we got there in the end.

Every part of my body hurts and I can’t really walk. Today is all about recovery so gonna soak in the bath, stretch, foam roll and get some protein in me. I’ve stopped feeling sick as least. Worst part is my ankles took an absolute hammering along the West Highland Way where I felt so strong and ran quick but took some heavy blows on the rocks and boulders.

The toe issue I had during the bike only seems to happen from vibration when I’m riding over dodgy surfaces and didn’t bother me at all on the run. Not sure what that’s about.

Took 7 months of training to get round this event and I needed every minute of it in my legs. But it works – I finished stronger than anyone but most importantly I finished. Less than 40% of the field got that far through the horrendous wind and rain. My advice to anyone taking on something like this is get a coach, it’s changed how I train.

This has been an incredible experience from start to finish. Trying to balance training, a high-stress long hours job and a young family has tested every ounce of my resilence but ultimately it was that mental strength that got me up Ben Nevis at 8pm at night, blocking out the shivering cold and the tiredness.

The best thing that happened in all of this was the 48 hours after I launched my JustGiving page. I’d hoped to raise a couple of grand but that target was doubled in the first 2 days. That was the moment this changed from something I desperately wanted to do, to something I was going to finish at all costs. Nothing was going to stop me delivering for all of you that backed me.

The £6.5k that together we raised for Bloodwise will provide real world help to people with blood cancer. People who are scared and confused and facing huge challenges and uncertainty. This was for them and the people they love that will find the strength to rally around them and make them feel like they’re not alone.

I wish I had the words to express my gratitude to all of you.

If anyone hasn’t sponsored me who would like to, the link is at the top of this thread. The page will be open until Saturday and then it will be time to let it go.

Right, I’ve now realised somehow in all of this I’ve signed myself up for Club des Cingles next week so better go get some training in..

jamj1974

Sponsored. You have done something amazing. Be proud of your achievement.

curto80
    Free Member

Hi everyone

Just a note to say that the final total raised for Bloodwise was £8,200.

I am so incredibly grateful for the support of everyone on here. You were quite honestly amazing.

Thank you.

pictonroad

Blimey. Good work lad, you kept up the fitness?

trap6
    Free Member

Excellent!!Well done Curto.

grtdkad

Awesome. Just donated, sorry I’d missed your original post.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘The Official 29erKeith Memorial Event day Thread’ is closed to new replies.