• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The Obree way – pedalling
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Chris hoy just tweeted this

http://t.co/kAuyFZfY

Can anyone explain this bit

“because your ankle is dropped you roll onto where you would normally put the force down”

His heel doesn’t look dropped to me

djflexure

Does he mean that the ankle is flexed, so heal would be dropped in that position

mrblobby
    Free Member

Guess it’s dropped relative to the lower leg, pretty extreme riding position makes it hard to spot.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I think the annoyuing thing with his book (from what i’ve read on the internet) is it’s lacking in pictures/images to explain these techniques

i just grabbed that pic of him. I looked at my pedalling technique riding home and i think my ankle is higher through the whole pedal stroke

i’d say mine is like this..although never heard of pose technique before?!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScOvLVqJABE[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Isn’t the opposing school of thought that using more muscles won’t make you any faster as the limiting factor is always going to be the heart, lungs etc. You might be able to use more muscles, but the total work done will be the same. The ultimate example being bikes like Obree’s HPV record attempt, if more muscles were better then they’d use hand cranks as well.

geoffj

the limiting factor is always going to be the heart, lungs etc.

Only if you’re a Biffer!

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Obree’s book is an interesting read, but in places you need to take it with a pinch of salt, and others are just plain wrong. Obree is a bit of an eccentric, but he is entertaining. Good luck to him in his record attempt.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Ankle dropped is a dodgy bit of terminology. Ankles plantarflex or they dorsiflex. If he’s referring to VM then the movement he’s talking about is probably between 30 degrees of knee flexion and a straight leg.

My guess is that as the leg comes over the top the ankle transitions from plantarflexed (ankle angle more than 90 degrees) to dorsiflexed (ankle angle less than 90 degrees). So the upside of the stroke releases tension in the calf and the downside increases it.

brakes
    Free Member

the limiting factor is always going to be the heart, lungs etc

to coin a phrase, you can’t poke a piece of shit without a stick.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If any pedalling technique could be established to be the best, it could easily be proven and everyone would be doing it.

Just another old wive’s tale, cycling is full of them.

lazybike
    Free Member

That sounds like “ankling”, a technique used by he who must not be named…

trickydisco
    Free Member

epic battle legend big hitter

😀

scaredypants

epic battle legend big hitter
    😀

😆

Ed. how did Al do that ? Is he actually “special” ?

IHN

That sounds like “ankling”, a technique used by he who must not be named…

Who, iDave? 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘The Obree way – pedalling’ is closed to new replies.