Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • the new routes at haldon
  • kaiser
    Free Member

went up yesterday and was quite impressed with the amount of work that had been put in …particularly on the route that starts down the "family trail"
    One comment though …and I wondered how others felt re the other new part over near the bridge under the A38. the builders have left numerous 6 inch high tree stumps to (I presume) waymark the fairly narrow route, together with big rocks. They are so easy to catch your pedal on or smash your ankle …which has happened to me , and I wonder how long it will be before there are numerous accidents as a result. Some of you may say it increases the skill /technical factor ….but I personally think they detract from the experience.
    Your thoughts?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I'm planning a trip to Torquay & will stop off to check out the new trails at Haldon but everytime I've been there, I alway feel a little disapointed when you look at how much they've spent there compared to the South Wales trail centers

ajantom

They are so easy to catch your pedal on or smash your ankle …which has happened to me , and I wonder how long it will be before there are numerous accidents as a result. Some of you may say it increases the skill /technical factor ….but I personally think they detract from the experience

Pardon – rough, maybe dangerous, bits detracting from the offroad experience? Isn't that what it's meant to be. If I wanted to have a nice smooth ride, I'd…..well ride on a road (which I also do sometimes, but not when I want to throw myself down a steep hill and get muddy 🙂 )

Is there anyone who really wants MTBing to be such a sanitised experience?

el_creedo
    Free Member

The section where the stumps is, is easily the widest and lest technical bit. We discussed at length trying to decide if it was deliberate to give the perception of difficulty/speed/danger or just pure laziness. We reckoned the former. I think it's fun – yes, it hurts if you get it wrong, but most bits of MTB'ing do!

In the tighter, harder bits everything is very well done and there's none of that…just walkers and families who shouldn't be there… 👿

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘the new routes at haldon’ is closed to new replies.