Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The new Panda 4×4
  • Kryton57

It seems to win lots of accolades. Could make a handy bike car – but has anyone got real life experience? Although my executive sales image make take a hit it could be a funky fun motor.

sandal100

Can’t comment on the car but have a quick look in the next issue of top gear magazine!

ivantate
    Free Member

Have a look at the trekking too, probably the one I would go for.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

FAR too small unless happy using roof bars – boot is tiny!

hora
    Free Member

I would

trail_rat
    Free Member

think it would make a terrible bike car

but a handy weapon to have if you live in an area that gets alot of snow* but dont have the need for a massive 4×4

* 90% of england does not get alot of snow.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well. I used to have a 1990 Fiat Panda and managed, on more than one occasion to get 3 people inside, with an old frame tent and camping gear in the boot, luggage on the spare back seat and 3 bikes on the back. You just need to be a bit more inventive. It’s easily do-able!
    I’d have one like a shot. I LOVE little Fiats. Nobody makes a better small car than Fiat IMO. 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

MrsCat has one – a great little car – the boot is a bit small and the rear seating is a compromise between split or bench which means 2 or 3 seats (we opted for split and 2 which has been ok). MrsCat was a midwife in the Peaks so had to get out to impending mums in all weathers and it has never let her down.

This video sold it to us:
    Panda vs Landrover

trail_rat
    Free Member

[img]http://up.autotitre.com/6a1b57fb41.jpg[/img]

A useful MTB car yesterday (if you really must have 4×4)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t care.

I have loved every panda that fiat had ever made. That’s all.

back2basics
    Free Member

isnt there a Renault Scenic which has a 4×4 higher ground clearance version, ‘part from the electric windows the scenic is a great car with tons of boot space and removable rear seats etc.

My 1990 Panda was the only car I have ever regretted selling.

I had a newer one but its wasn’t quite the same.

I saw one of these in a garage last week and want one.But then I’d have to sell my 500.

I like small FIATS

trail_rat
    Free Member

back2basics there is that – the farmer by me uses one to feed his sheep , swears by it. See it battering round the field in all weathers – inc snaw

ThePinkster

Had a new Panda as a loan car whiel Fiat were fixing my Doblo (again!) a couple of years ago.

Not 4×4 but horrible to drive, seats were way too narrow and felt like it would fall apart if I slammed the door too hard.

camo16
    Free Member

I’m a FIAT man – my last car was a 57 plate Panda. Ever since the Uno and Mk 1 Panda I’ve loved their small cars.

But this new Panda? Aesthetically, it seems to have been designed in some anonymous location in the Far East… with all the poise and guile of a 90s Proton… and to have none of the soul that used to be the Panda’s trademark. 🙁

I’d still love to take the 4×4 offroad though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

New 4×4 is a great little car, with a great engine but not bike friendly.
    We looked at them, but ultimately it was too small. The boot is tiny and even with seats down and wheels off you would struggle to get a bike inside.

khani
    Free Member

I can get two large 29ers in the back of mine, you have to take the wheels and seatposts off though..
    And it’s the cheapest car to run I’ve ever had.. Group 2 insurance, £30 a year tax, averages 60mpg (multijet diesel)

hora
    Free Member

I’m a FIAT man – my last car was a 57 plate Panda. Ever since the Uno and Mk 1 Panda I’ve loved their small cars.

I love their nimbleness something the Koreans and Japs could look at copying. Their small cars don’t come close.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I hear ya. I shed a tear when mine went. Best car I’ve ever driven. You can keep all your posh modern stuff, that little tin box was superb. 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

Get yourself a fat bike with racks and carry the panda about more like!

project
    Free Member

70,000 quid for a range rover, and about 10 to the gallon,expensive tyres,wheels, and parts, thats what they told me when i had one on demo on and off road.

fiat panda, cheap, cheerful, 60 mpg, and looks coolchic, along with James May off Top Gear having one, off to look at one this afternoon.

oh and members of British cycling get discounts on fiats .

Markie
    Free Member

The Panda 4×4 looks great in every way except its Euro NCAP rating – 4 stars because of poor child safety performance. It scored 2.7 points out of 12 for the 3 year old child occupant test: “However, on rebound, the head of the dummy glanced against the rear window and the score was penalised.”…

hora
    Free Member

TBH if you are going to have a crash it isn’t going to be an NCAP one.

The boot is tiny and even with seats down and wheels off you would struggle to get a bike inside.

With wheels off and backseat down I can JUST fit a roadbike with full mudguards in the back of a 500. (the mudguards are the real pain).I would image the panda has more room in the back.

Although I would have though the best bet for the 4×4 would be a tow bar mounted rear rack.

konabunny
    Free Member

+1. I had an E reg. never should have sold it, Reg.

globalti
    Free Member

In snow a 2wd Panda is excellent, with winter tyres superb. A 4×4 with wintertyres would be unstoppable.

obelix
    Free Member

Most capable off-roading small 4×4 is the Suzuki Jimny. If you’re heading over more serious terrain, the low-ratio gearbox makes all the difference. Super-reliable as well, and endlessly modifiable, modified Jimnys regularly beat modified Landy Defenders in trials events.

sbob
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Best car I’ve ever driven.

Admit it; it’s the only car you’ve ever driven, isn’t it?
    Ok, maybe you’ve experienced an Austin Metro as well. 😆

gribble
    Free Member

I would have one. I live in suburban Surrey and drive a BMW estate…no comment.

If I lived somewhere more out of town/tougher access, or lived in the Alps, I would look at something like a Panda 4×4 – would be mine as the wife would want something bigger. That would suit me fine, I like well designed cars. Happy to use a rear mounted or roof rack, I prefer the mud to fall off outside the car on the way home.

I think Fiat do small cars very well and I can’t quite believe in this day and age cars that can go off road are still so inefficient and expensive to buy. I like Subarus for the same reasons, i.e. they are utilitarian but are capable. Prices of Subarus are on a different level though. Unfortunately the Fiat/Jimny type vehicles are pretty rare, although as mentioned above there is a market for them.

Kryton57

So the conclusion to this thread is that I basically need an Audi Avant Tdi isn’t it

😆

allthegear
    Free Member

My Sister-in-Law has an (older) Panda 4×4 and loves it to bits. Whole family has Fiat/Alfa Romeo cars as there is an employee discount.

Well, everyone but me; I have a Skoda. I’m so the black sheep of the family… 🙂

Rachel

jam-bo

So the conclusion to this thread is that I basically need an Audi Avant Tdi isn’t it

nope. You need a Audi Avant TDi quattro.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

It’s a Fiat, why would you buy one?
    I have a Fiat Doblo, it’s poop.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘The new Panda 4×4’ is closed to new replies.