Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • The New MK3 Cotic Soul to Replace my Mk 2 – Loads of Piccies
  • Vortexracing

Well took the plunge, once I found out the new one had 31.6 dropper post compatible seat tubes and the other small changes Cy has made , I just had to have one .

Finished building it Friday night, Took it for a blast last night, rides as well as my other 2 I have had, but seems a little stiffer. Not sure if this is due to the addition of a dropper post (which is very long for this frame 420mm in a 16” frame) or if the new bigger seattube is actually stiffer. I’ll know better after I try it with an I beam post/saddle combo.

Looks far chunkier than the Mk2 as well, gone is the svelte skinny tube look of the MK1 and 2 Souls. That is probably amplified by the fact that it’s a small frame.

Treated myself to a new set of cranks (Next XC Carbon 28/40), Seat post, and saddle, the rest is from the Black MK2 I had, except the Arch EX wheels which are also a recent addition.

Here are the piccies, all up weight as in the photos is 25.2lbs.

For Mayhem etc with some 355’2 and Racing Ralph/Rocket Rons, plus an I beam seat/post combo it should be at just over 23lbs.

P1040580 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040582 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040586 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040587 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040583 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040584 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040588 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040564 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040566 by eastham_david, on Flickr

And to prove it gets crappy

IMAG0126 by eastham_david, on Flickr

bigrich

mk. IV, get it right.

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like an orange bfe, the soul slowly losing it’s finesse

bigrich

like when they put a V12 in the E-type.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I like it anyway.

Do you really need that much patio furniture though? (bottom pic)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I didn’t know next made bike bits.

RustyMac

That looks ace.

A medium one of them will be the replacement for my Ideniti Mr Hyde when i can squirl away enough cash.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

paulosoxo – Member
    I didn’t know next made bike bits

It’s Raceface 😉

That updated Soul has got all the changes that would tempt me to buy one if I was in the market for a new hardtail. Good call, Cy.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Nice, first time since I bought my soul 5 or so years ago that I’ve been tempted to swap it.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m definitely liking that. As you say the bigger tubes effect amplified by it being a small frame.

It’s hardly a big surprise that Cotic are ‘standardising’ their frames though is it.

Ability to run tapered forks and dropper posts is kind of the way things are headed are they not?

For me, personally, the ability to swap bits and pieces between bikes would be a bonus. Not that I’m likely to be parting with mk2 Soul any time soon…

renton
    Free Member

I really like that !!!!

rob2
    Free Member

what do the pro2s with arch ex rims weigh in at?

r17anm
    Free Member

Looking good !!

bol

I think that looks rather stylish.

Speshpaul

Tidy that is.

And if anyone doesn’t like this version you can still buy the skinny tubed one.

podman
    Free Member

Looks nice, I especially like the head tube, would be great to see that on the Simple and Solaris in the future!

anotherbike
    Free Member

I love it. I just had mine delivered, in orange of course. Just waiting for my forks to arrive then the build can begin.

I know some people aren’t sure about the new changes but for me they make the frame quite future proof which is great, because i’m keeping this a long time.

Vortexracing: When you say it’s stiffer than your last soul, do you mean rigidly stiffer or harsher stiffer?

faz083
    Free Member

looks good but the chunkier seattube just doesn’t suit the soul, I think. It’s lost it’s low profile tubing and gone a bit BFe as earlier mentioned. Not a problem if that’s what people want, but personally I prefer the earlier frame.

Scamper
    Free Member

Very nice. Got my mark 2 small built up with arch ex and 1×9 and it comes in at circa 23 or 25lb depending on build and if i’m running ron/ralph.

Vortexracing

looks like an orange bfe

My thoughts as soon as I built it.

what do the pro2s with arch ex rims weigh in at

I think they are 1740grammes

Vortexracing: When you say it’s stiffer than your last soul, do you mean rigidly stiffer or harsher stiffer?

It felt stiffer through the seatpost whilst sat down. I think it’s a combination of the seatpost and dia of seattube. The fact that I changed the saddle and post, may have a bearing on it.

Like I said, I think i need to run it with the I beam and SDG Bel Air I had on my Mk2 to make a more accurate comparison.

Do you really need that much patio furniture though? (bottom pic)

Sure do, I’m thinking of opening up as abeer garden and selling ale to pay for the bike 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Here are the piccies, all up weight as in the photos is 25.2lbs.

For Mayhem etc with some 355’2 and Racing Ralph/Rocket Rons, plus an I beam seat/post combo it should be at just over 23lbs.

Your bike looks very nice, but 2 things strike me about this statement…

Firstly, good luck with the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron’s next weekend… I live not too far from Eastnor, and will be running the thinnest tyres I can lay my hands on (probably 1.8 or 1.9″) to cut through the horrible mud. It’s gonna be wet here most of the week, including Thursday now the forecast goes that far.

Secondly, your scales need recalibrating!!!

Your frame, wheels, tyres, and just about EVERYTHING on your bike weighs more than mine… And my bike comes in at over 25lb. Your frame is 1lb heavier, seatpost 300g, your wheels about 100g, tyres about 150g roughly, pedals 50g… I could go on! What does it weigh in the real world?

Vortexracing

Secondly, your scales need recalibrating!!!

Your frame, wheels, tyres, and just about EVERYTHING on your bike weighs more than mine… And my bike comes in at over 25lb. Your frame is 1lb heavier, seatpost 300g, your wheels about 100g, tyres about 150g roughly, pedals 50g… I could go on! What does it weigh in the real world?

well in my real world it weighs 25.36lbs.

P1040611 by eastham_david, on Flickr

The scales are spot on, sadly I calibrated them against some Park scales 3 weeks ago

I know I should get a life !!! 🙄

Firstly, good luck with the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron’s next weekend… I live not too far from Eastnor, and will be running the thinnest tyres I can lay my hands on (probably 1.8 or 1.9″) to cut through the horrible mud. It’s gonna be wet here most of the week, including Thursday now the forecast goes that far.

and I have some Mud X’s for that very scenario, problem is they are the 2.0″ ones

rOcKeTdOg

2.0 mud x will be fine, if it’s windy it’ll dry out anyway

mattjg
    Free Member

Nice but does look like it’s missing the classic steel frame skinny tubeness.

Puppy looks hungry.

mboy
    Free Member

The scales are spot on, sadly I calibrated them against some Park scales 3 weeks ago

Well in that case, PLEASE bring your scales to Mayhem with you! I wanna weigh my bike according to them… 😉

and I have some Mud X’s for that very scenario, problem is they are the 2.0″ ones

They’ll be spot on. They’re not big for 2″ tyres, they’re what I will probably run if the weather continues to be like it is. The super skinny 1.5’s some people run are really for bikes with little mud clearance (your Cotic isn’t one) IMO. A 1.8 on the back might find slightly more bite in the mud, but it will probably slow you down more on the harder terrain.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@ vortex – that is lovely looking! a few q’s if i may?!?!

im thinking of ditching me 5 f/s for a cotic soul h/t, are they good as all day bikes built on 140mm forks? i ride the peak and the rockiest bits around there, how does the soul fair on this type of terrain? obviously less comfy than a f/s but ive been thinking of it for a while (amongst other frames) and quite like the thought of going back to a h/t….current build is around 31lbs i would imagine on my f/s, so would ultimately save a about 5lbs as would be similr to your build but in 1×10 format…

i also like the fact its got a bigger seat tube, as my frame at the mo is 27.2mm so going to a size that now every decent brand does a dropper post for is pretty important! so thats a bit selling point to me too….

at 6ft and 33″ inside leg what size would be recommended? i always wanted a five in orange colour so that also appears to me too!

it will be my only bike so as i say it really does need to do everything and everything well like a five does…it looks pretty stunning though i must say in your pics!

Vortexracing

not sure on the size, I’m only 5ft 4″ 🙁

I ride mine in the lakes, which has the same rocky stuff as the peaks. I think they ride well at about 130mm TBH. That is what I have my Revs set at. I have used them at 140mm and I think they are great DH, just a little light on the front when steep climbs are called for. Adjustable fork would be ideal, 140mm for the down and 120mm for the up

I have used it on Rocky stuff and it copes very well.

Speak to paul or Cy at Cotic about sizing and se if you can get a demo in the peaks, I think they have some demo days planned.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool – cheers vortex – do you run it as your only bike? or do you have something f/s for bigger days out? guessing if you ride it in the lakes then its more than capable of any of the peak stuff…

ill have a think a little more about it, not going to rush into it, as if i do sell the f/s i doubt ill be able to afford to buy another f/s frame again so not to be taken lightly this decision

looks great though and its already inspired me to getting one!

Vortexracing

I also have a Turner 5 spot.

TBH all My Cotics Souls have had considerably more use than my FS

Scamper
    Free Member

Vortex, from my other thread, just bought some 140mm revs with the 20 maxle to replace my 120 Reba’s. May space them down to 130mm after playing with them.

mattjg
    Free Member

@Oscillate if you need to run it at 140mm perhaps what you really need is a FS. Optimise for what you do most. Soul can run 140mm but is more at home on 100-120 I think.

My Soul is built light and fast for my local Southern forest XC and ST. I have a FS I use for steep rocky places, trail centres etc.

mattjg
    Free Member

The SixC bars I have them on mine too but with the orange flashes of course. Good they are.

Vortexracing

Never used a fork less than 120mm on any of my Souls, but I think anything around that fork length is great, so many other factors, such as size of bike, rider style etc make a big difference. Just try it a bit and see what you think, you may be happy at 140mm, alot of people are.

mattjg
    Free Member

What do those little barrelly type things on your brake cables do?

boltonjon

Looks sweet mate and impressivly light if your scales are correct!!

I’d imagine the increased seat tube dia and the stiffer dropper post will have lost some of the Soul’s springyness

I’d imagine that the tapered headtube would have stiffened it up even more

I’m sure Cy has his reasons – but i’ll be sticking to my early Soul

mattjg
    Free Member

More importantly Vortex, have you fed the puppy? Or is it a stray?

cardo

Nice to see Cotic keeping one eye on the future.. love my mk.2 and the Rocket is a tempting prospect too!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Bike looks awesome! Nice build 🙂

podman –

Looks nice, I especially like the head tube, would be great to see that on the Simple and Solaris in the future!

The Solaris has a 44mm headtube, so can run any fork steerer size.

I get my green Solaris in 2 – 3 weeks – can’t freekin wait! 🙂

Vortexracing

What do those little barrelly type things on your brake cables do?

they are middleburn oilers

More importantly Vortex, have you fed the puppy? Or is it a stray?

and yip the puppy is fed and watered, although he is 3 years old

meet Archie

DSCF0108 by eastham_david, on Flickr

and as for eating, since the Mrs took him to the vets to have his gonads removed, he never stops bloody munching.

Scamper
    Free Member

Think i have those barrelly things on my Soul brake cables – simply keep more crud out – or that’s what i use them for, anyway.

Easier than you think to build a lightish Soul jon, and i think the new Soul frame is actually lighter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘The New MK3 Cotic Soul to Replace my Mk 2 – Loads of Piccies’ is closed to new replies.