Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)
  • The new "Fargo" TV series – who's watching?
  • Hadge
    Free Member

Must admit. I never saw the spaceship thing coming. Not sure it fits in with the series but hey ho. Good to hear Martin Freeman narrate the story too. Poor mum got her comeuppance too.

dawson

I thought the voice over stuff seemed out of place

bonzodog
    Free Member

So great, and yet the usual improbables nark me.

Once again the highly skilled assassin Hanzer gets scuppered by the dim witted Blomqvuists.

The bullet through the head of the gas station owner from beyond the phone box and through glass is the sign of a true marksman. Pity he seems to be unable to hit the relative sitting targets of the lead characters in the shoot out scene.

But its still really great. Best drama series I’ve seen for years.

thepurist

The good news was that the book started in 1825(?) so plenty of scope for more prequels. The story is set around the time of Close Encounters so ufo is bang on trend.

tthew

Just watched it on catch up. Ace, I may have to re-watch series 1 when it’s finished.

jimmy

They threw something in his face to distort his sight.

Episode highlight: Milligan says “OK then.”

And the “My best piss?” conversation.

I like the theory that Peggy is an alien or regular abductee, and also that 1825 gives loads of scope for S3.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’ve just watched the film The Man Who Wasn’t There – I think you lot would like it!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Episode 9 was quite something! They really are happy to take some remarkable risks with format and content.

The good news was that the book started in 1825(?) so plenty of scope for more prequels.

It hadn’t occurred to me that they might take it that far back, but I suppose if you were careful about the aesthetics it’s doable without changing the feel. The Gerhardt’s farm wouldn’t have changed much in a century visually – just swapped in cars for horses I suppose.

I never saw the spaceship thing coming. Not sure it fits in with the series but hey ho

It was a bold move, wasn’t it? I mean, when Rye and Hanzee saw lights in the sky, it wasn’t at all obvious that it was really something that was actually there. And Hank’s strange collection of picture-writing in his study tied in but wasn’t proof that we were going to get an actual flying saucer as part of the reality. But it’s definitely meant to be now – we saw too many people seeing it for it to be explained away as something that someone imagined. Remarkable. 🙂

The Man Who Wasn’t There

Indeed, it’s on the list!

It occurred to me after watching it that Hanzee, without prattling on about it or reading any self-help materials, appears to have “fully actualized”, it is entirely possible that he is “being the best Hanzee he can be” and he is certainly “doing, not thinking”. He doesn’t say enough for it to be obvious whether he is as unhinged as Peggy is though.

I haven’t much clue who is going to make it through.

We know Lou does, but Betsey won’t.
    Hank? Hope so. I’m not sure I can cope with Lou losing Hank and Betsey at this point.
    Hanzee or the Blumquists? Surely not all three of them can make it out alive?
    Mike? I think so now. He’s magically ended up with the Gerhardt’s annihilated, and he hasn’t done anything that Lou is going to go after him for, has he?
    Detective Benjamin Schmidt is going to be fine, but he’s going to somehow spin it so that he’s the hero of the Sioux Falls Massacre and it was all somehow Lou’s fault I suspect.

🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

must keep schtum 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

must keep schtum

It is appreciated. I have no patience with spoiler-babies, but those who refrain from spoiling are still gentlepersons.

🙂

mikey3
    Free Member

val johnson ufo

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

What’s only just occurred to me when watching the last episode is that it’s linked to S1.

The main character Lou’s Solverson, his daughter Molly, is the police officer from S1 and in S1 he is the café owner who talks of those series of events and murders when he was a police officer.

Klunk
    Free Member

^^ I must say there is a lovely homage to the Coen brothers that ties s1 to s2 in the last episode, and it’s not from Fargo 🙂

IdleJon

KingofBiscuits – Member

What’s only just occurred to me when watching the last episode is that it’s linked to S1.

The main character Lou’s Solverson, his daughter Molly, is the police officer from S1 and in S1 he is the café owner who talks of those series of events and murders when he was a police officer.

Well done Sherlock. 😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

Well done Sherlock.

Well worth reading this thread, by jove!

😀

AlexSimon

I think S3 is confirmed as taking place a couple of years after S1
    edit: 2010 – 4 years after S1 but will not include any of the first season regulars as primary players in the action. “That’s not to say that one of our stories might not intersect with characters we’ve seen before for a certain period of time,”

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Well, that failed to answer an awful lot of questions…

tthew

Ah that was ace.

“That’s the big rock men have to push. We say it’s our burden, but really it’s our privilege” I’m saving that one for future use.

grey

Well there’s still Charlie Gerhardt left to take revenge on Kansas City, it’ll be interesting to see if that has anything to do with the next series and of course there’s always Peggy. She’s nutty enough to become some sort of Femail Bourne assasin character.
    Hanzee is at a bit of a loose end as well.

johnx2
    Free Member

last week was the climax really. Last night’s was tying up the ends. Superb stuff anyway.

That’s the big rock men have to push. We say it’s our burden, but really it’s our privilege

Might have been an answer to Camus’ ‘the myth of Sisyphus’, Camus getting a few nods in the series including last night. Anyway, Al says:

If this myth is tragic, that is because its hero is conscious. Where would his torture be, indeed, if at every step the hope of succeeding upheld him? The workman of today works everyday in his life at the same tasks, and his fate is no less absurd. But it is tragic only at the rare moments when it becomes conscious.

http://dbanach.com/sisyphus.htm for full text. My favourite of his essays; last paragraph is v good (pretentious moi?)

When’s spiral back?

AlexSimon

pleaderwilliams – Member

Well, that failed to answer an awful lot of questions…
    If it did, then I’m perfectly happy for them to remain so.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Vanity Fair’s reviewer has spotted what Hanzee did next. I confess I’d have missed that completely. As indeed have a number of other reviewers.

That being the case, when he set off towards the kids on the baseball field, the two who we saw signing were Messrs Wrench & Numbers maybe? Feel like I need to watch Season 1 again…

It was a huge relief to me to see Lou, Hank and Betsey together. As with Gus and Molly and Lou coming through Season 1 in one piece, it just made me happy. Writers and actors were very good at making me care about these characters, and I breathed easier when I saw Hank on his feet.

I very much enjoyed the way that Lou and Hank both knew they’d seen the flying saucer and probably weren’t going to write it into the report in too much detail. It confirmed it as being real, but also Fargo as happening in our world, without any (confirmed) flying saucers – quite a good resolution I think.

Poor old Ed ended sadly, surrounded by chilled meat. I suppose he was going back to what he knew. He looked so weary from the first sight of him, even before he was shot, you almost knew he was done in and Peggy was going to leave him behind somehow. It surprised me that the smoke was only in her head. And the point when she realised it, and that Ed was dead was heartbreaking. Dunst has done really well with this I think. I struggle to think of anything I’d previously seen her in that was properly good (Spiderman doesn’t count), but she was fantastic throughout.

Hey ho. So loooong to season 3. 🙂

AlexSimon

I know – 14 months at least!

thepurist

Ah that Moses Tripoli. OK then.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Gotta try to get hold of the film now.

OK then.

grey

I saw that at the end with Hanzee, not sure who all the kids were though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

WTF WAS WITH THE UFO?

I mean, WTAF?

AlexSimon

It was a UFO

slimjim78
    Free Member

That bit I figured. It was ‘the point’ that I can’t figure

AlexSimon

I don’t think they’ve done much to explain it, but here are some comments about it by the showrunner:
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/07/fargo-ufo/2

kimbers

Finished it last night, very good

Great way to follow up season one

Got me looking forward to the Twin Peaks resurrection too

Klunk
    Free Member

just seen the cast list for season three

km79
    Free Member

just seen the cast list for season three

Looks good, can’t wait for it, loved the first two seasons.

Klunk
    Free Member

two too much Ewan!

Klunk
    Free Member

Some teasers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb7DDbC9oKU[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7eUN5NPZp8[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q44lYE7AVY[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE0YnUcQBgA[/video]

Klunk
    Free Member

A twisted sibling rivalry leads to murder, mobsters and cutthroat competitive bridge in a small Midwestern town.

🙂

thepurist

Looks like it’s still on C4 as well. Thought it had gone to Netflix or Prime or some other new fangled telly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Did I miss season 2 then? the only season I recall watching was the one Martin Freeman’s missus got bumped off in, with his coat on?.

Klunk
    Free Member

Did I miss season 2 the blood bath then?

yes

thepurist

Yep, get some beer in the fridge and binge watch season 2

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘The new "Fargo" TV series – who's watching?’ is closed to new replies.