Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Mrs wants to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks!
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So I’ve suggested we do Peny Ghent on Sunday, Ingleborough the following week & Whernside 2 weeks later.

What do you reckon?

richpips
    Free Member

It’s a big day out if you are not a regular distance walker or runner.

Esme
    Free Member

Walking or riding? Either way, it sounds lovely. And if it’s a bit chilly, you could always delay the second and third walks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Sounds like a fab thing to do, you going along as well 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sounds like a fab thing to do, you going along as well

So I’ve suggested we do Peny Ghent on Sunday, Ingleborough the following week & Whernside 2 weeks later.

‘we’ 😉

ton

‘kin redsocks’……………….. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said..

Will you be left behind 😆

martinhutch

Snow aplenty up there at the moment.

lesgrandepotato

Walking is fine. It’s a bit of a trek btwixt penygent and the others and a bit of a drag back from the last peak. But it’s nice day out

slowoldman

If you’re doing them one at a time, should be no trouble. All nice hills.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My son recently did the challenge. He said the walk between the middle and last Peak was very long and hard.
    Otherwise its a piece of P.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I did two of them a few days ago. Bit of snow and ice on the tops but nothing serious (running shoes were fine). A bit under 3h for the round trip (whernside and ingleborough from ribblehead).

Spin
    Free Member

Entry for the fell race is open…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said..

Will you be left behind

Not if we do them one at a time, although Wilma the Lab may take some keeping up with!

johndoh
    Free Member

In a day it’s easy peasyeven for a non walker – just need to get your head into the trudge of one foot in front of the other.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Part of my regular exercise, altho haven’t been up there for a few weeks (can’t be arsed explaining). Doing one a week will be no problem and as said you won’t need really serious footwear as main routes have been mostly sanitised for walkers. Having said that, this weekend will be cold, ice and snow, so you need to go at least prepared with good clothing. One side of Pen Y Gent is a bit scrambly, one side of Inglebro is a bit scrambly, I’ve occasionally seen people struggling on both, especially in winter conditions. The Inglebro plateau can be difficult to navigate in cloud, but not that serious. Doing one a week sounds like a plan if you’re not a big walker, but doing the 3 in a day isn’t beyond a reasonably fit walker within 8-10 hours.

wzzzz
    Free Member

One a week is no problem, all great walks- my favourite is whernside.

All in one go in 12 hours is a stunning walk for a long summers day.

The worst bit for me is the final loooong drag down from ingleborough.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Follow the advice of B.A.Nana, sounds about right. I would have to disagree with jondoh, I know plenty of people that play sport to a reasonable level but have failed to complete the challenge.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Follow the advice of B.A.Nana, sounds about right. I would have to disagree with jondoh, I know plenty of people that play sport to a reasonable level but have failed to complete the challenge.

Yes but jondoh doesn’t realise just how amazingly fit he is.

I drove the van for a group from work who did it a few years ago, none of who’m were slouches, they all knew they’d done a good walk that day. On the other hand I’ve a mate who can fly round & even he says it’s hard work.

FWIW wer’e both 60, fittish but I couldn’t do the 3 in one day with these knees. Coming down rough stuff kills them but I can go up all day!

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve done the race a couple of times as well as running it avoiding the bits that are only open for the race, i.e. via the walker’s route. The section from Sel Gill (just after Penyghent) to Ribblehead is hard work as it just seems to drag.

Not for nothing do fell runners call Ingleborough, Inglebugger! You think you are near the end when you reach the summit but there’s still another four miles or so across Sulber Nick.

It’s interesting chatting to the woman running the tea-van at Ribblehead: she has a good eye for the state of those getting there and the time of day – “This lot won’t get back before dark!”

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes but jondoh doesn’t realise just how amazingly fit he is.

Well I can only go from my experience – I have never been a walker nor was I particularly fit at the time (I have never been) but I found it really quite straight forward and it was just a ‘pub walk’ with a load of the regulars (of all ages and none were walkers) of the pub I worked at at the time. We all managed it without issue.

theteaboy
    Free Member

It’s a great day out, and they’re good individually as 2-3 hours each.

I’ve done the race once (needed a lie down on top of Ingleboro due to full-body cramp) and walked it a few times. The 2 things I find hardest are the distance from PyG to Ribblehead and the descent from Ingleboro to the finish. The climbs, surprisingly, aren’t the hard bits.

Psychologically, the summit of Ingleboro feels like you’re cracked it, but the route back to Horton seems endless.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As above quite snowy up there at the moment

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Mrs wants to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks!’ is closed to new replies.