Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The Mrs wants another dog…..I don't.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The fact that I don’t is irrelevant, so what dog does she get? Last one we/she had was a Cavalier which was a lovely little thing, very loving & loyal, bit clingy (unless someone had chicken then she’d go with them. Didn’t need loads of exercise but she died of an inherent heart problem which seems to be a problem with Cavvies, which kind of puts her off another.
    Up to now the choices are…a short haired Vizsla, a Cocker, a Lab or Retriever.
    Not a terrier, not a ‘trail dog’, something that can either walk far or sleep all day, not a Springer (had one which ate a kitchen).
    Any problems with a Vizsla?

Bregante

A mate at work has two vizslas (one pup about 5 mths and the other is around 2). Lovely dogs but they need a *lot* of exercise. He’s currently injured (work related) and unable to manage them on his own and his Mrs is doing 10 miles a day with them. I’m not sure they fit the sleep all day criteria at all.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

lab/ retriever (i dont have a dog since i’ve moved to the UK) but i like these dogs.. very loyal and loves people

oldnpastit

Get a Springer, they’re ace.

Kitchens are overrated, and need replacing regularly, so it’s good all round.

iolo
    Free Member

Vizslas become totally obsessed with their owner. Not so good to leave alone for more than a couple of hours.

fettlin

Singletrack, recommend what you have? Why certainly….

Whippet all the way! Two in our family now, we got ours then the outlaws got one. Toby is sat with his head on my lap as I’m typing, they both had a run this morning then he’s been on the sofa with me all afternoon.

jamj1974

The fact that I don’t is irrelevant, so what dog does she get? Last one we/she had was a Cavalier which was a lovely little thing, very loving & loyal, bit clingy (unless someone had chicken then she’d go with them.

Ours was like that 😉

spectabilis
    Free Member

We recently got a Shiba Inu, Gorgeous little thing, very intelligent and quick to learn, very loving dog but they also are very independent and enjoy their own space.
    Known for their tremendous endurance yet will happily sleep all day.

she’s only 6 months now so hasn’t been on very long walks yet.

They are however not recommended to be off lead except in secure areas.

chipster

Take the wife to a rescue kennels. Chances are, she’ll fall for a dog that needs a home. You can at least try and steer her towards one that you fancy, and away from the ones you don’t.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Vizslas become totally obsessed with their owner. Not so good to leave alone for more than a couple of hours.

The Mrs said something about that, where a friend of hers has one & when she goes up the stairs it grabs her jumper or whatever & follows her up! Thats clingy with a capital C.

Take the wife to a rescue kennels. Chances are, she’ll fall for a dog that needs a home. You can at least try and steer her towards one that you fancy, and away from the ones you don’t.

Had a look but they seem to only have Staffies & the like & that’s not happening. Don’t ask but It’s probably like why I like my Orange 5 & some folk wouldn’t have one.

bigblackshed

Whippet. It will take as much or as little exercise as you are prepared to give it. More than happy guarding the fire.

If you want that but with a bit fizz, a working Beddlington x whippet.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Don’t get another dog. They are a tie… Treat Mrs futtock gruntle pop with an awesome holiday and perhaps a time share. I had a dog… In fact I had two. When they died I was happy… I was free. Rip gizzy and mo.

monde
    Free Member

All listed are gun dogs that will mature later than other breeds, all hate being left alone and would eat your kitchen, all need more stimulus than just a walk, all would make a great trail dogs (especially the Viz).

These dogs are a different world to cavs and if you are prepared to put in the time and the effort would be your best friend for life but too many people are getting vizlas and then giving them up because being a HPR dog (Hunt, point, retrieve) they need too be trained by an experienced dog owner otherwise you will end up with one unhappy and frustrated animal.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Of your selection – i would go for a flatcoat retriever, closely followed by a golden retriever then labs.

Flatties are majestic, loyal, loving, characterful dogs. And they dont smell – other than a faint smell of a freshly cleaned shot gun. Lovely….

Lifer
    Free Member

As soon as is practical I’m getting me a border jack

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Rescue Greyhound.

mrsfry
    Free Member

rottweiler (with tail) or GSD

wilburt
    Free Member

Agree they are a burden, we have two spanials, its like having a couple of not very bright kids who need a lot of attention.

Drac

All listed are gun dogs that will mature later than other breeds, all hate being left alone and would eat your kitchen, all need more stimulus than just a walk, all would make a great trail dogs (especially the Viz).

The Labs I’ve had have always been laid back, Ok to be left alone and happy with just a stroll.

survivor

Why not sign up to pet pals and just look after someone else’s when you need a dog fix. You get paid for it as well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IMO all of your possible choices need/require good daily walks. If that doesn’t fit in, stand your ground. It’s not fair to you or the dogs.

Nipper99
    Free Member

A plug for our local rescue, Many Tears, who have a good variety of all sort of people needing homes.

http://www.manytearsrescue.org/dogslookingforhomes.php

chakaping
    Free Member

Whippet could do the trick, yeah. Still needs a walk every day and can be clingy though, judging by the way mine moons round after me.

Get a rescue one if you can. Not only because it’s a good thing, but to avoid us reading your despairing threads on here when your puppy destroys your most precious possessions.

slowoldman

What she says – “I want another dog”.
    What she means – “I want a baby”.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Any problems with a Vizsla?

Ha ha. A good friend has one which is utterly stupid and needs walking constantly. he got it for shooting and needless to say he’s never taken it with him as it’s impossible to train.
    The had a litter with it and kept another bitch which is even more nuts.
    I can see our working cocker looking at them and thinking “you’re bonkers”.

Lovely dogs but I personally wouldn’t.

Drac

Sounds more like an issue with the owner than the dogs. The second will copy the first and if not taught otherwise will continue to do so.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Doubtful, they’re good/sensible owners and they have also rescue Whippet which is completely normal.

enfht
    Free Member

Heck I don’t know, tell your Mrs you’re not getting another dog?

Drac

Doubtful, they’re good/sensible owners and they have also rescue Whippet which is completely normal.

I’d say that confirms its them if the rescue dog isn’t nuts.

FuzzyWuzzy

Something that woofs rather than yaps – yapping dogs should be banned.

norbert-colon

We have Vizslas (wire haired) and they are ace.

My missus runs a Vizsla rescue charity and I would agree that they do need experienced/sensible owners who understand them… however that is the same with most dogs really?

My advice would be to look what your chosen make of dog was originally bred for and that will give you an insight into likely behaviour…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Deffo, this^. Our next door neighbour has a Vizsla. It has grown to the size of a horse in less than a year and barks continually when left alone.
    The dog is lovely natured and friendly, as are the neighbours. I let them know their dog didn’t seem happy when on its own in the house and they no longer leave it alone. It does require child care type costs as a result though.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Malamute. Mine cares about nothing but me. Very loyal and loving. Sees himself as my partner not owner. In fact I’m reminded constantly that I’m a Butler….. will sleep all day or run all day. Very versatile. Just be careful with in tact males as they can have dominance issues.

epicyclo

You need a wolfhound. Best dog ever.

Really good nature, and happy to lie around all day so long as it gets a bit of a run. Eats no more than it needs and intelligent.

and trustworthy with other animals

benp1

Lab here – will walk with you all day but will also stay at home on his own happily. Will lie down in the back of the car and will also come out with me on the bike (for local stuff up to 10 miles)

Amazing with the kids, doesn’t bark or yap, greediest dog in the world, but loving and loyal and very much part of the family

AlasdairMc

I have a Vizsla, she’s 6 but still as mad as a puppy. She seems to be quite lazy for the breed, in that she’ll sleep all day, but when you do take her out she’ll run for miles and miles.

I agree with the bond thing, she is very protective of me and therefore doesn’t like other people speaking to me when we’re out. She just barks though, nothing else. We can leave her alone for about five hours at most, but she gets walked daily when we’re at work so she’s not on her own all the time (and we have cats to keep her company)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What she says – “I want another dog”.
    What she means – “I want a baby”.

She’ll have a dog & like it. (Anyway she’s 60 in December & has no time for kids & prefers dogs)

I have 3 bikes & a load of fishing gear, I love dogs but don’t want one myself. It’ll be her ‘hobby’ & the dog will be looked after better than me!!

(Having 2nd thoughts on a Viszla)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘The Mrs wants another dog…..I don't.’ is closed to new replies.