Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • THE most important question on STW this year… how to make a perfect Trifle?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I’ve spent many years threatening to make one, but this is the year to being back memories of childhood Christmases with a Trifle.

Please tell me your best Trifle tips and recipes, for instance home made custard or a good pre-made variety (i favour tesco finest custard myself) etc

the main thing though for me is that Sherry is out as i’m teetotal and i have horrible memories of weird textured sponge in jelly and mushy tinned fruit segments

Garry_Lager

Yet to meet a dessert that wasn’t improved by adding Laphroaig to the recipe.
    You don’t have to eat it yourself – in any case teetotal applies to drinking, not eating 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mama Moonter made this with home made sponges, home made egg custard, poached pears, candied ginger and syrup, sherry, ground almonds, apricot jam, topped with whipped cream, toasted almonds, chopped pecans and glace cherries.

Fresh eggs make all the difference to the custard and sponges.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We declared 2016 the International Year of Trifle at some point during New Year’s Even last year. You might get some inspiration from our Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/532262926929818/

The activity slowed down when we all started putting on a lot of weight and our diabetic friend kept going hyper but I’m planning on an EggNog trifle for Christmas Day as a last hurrah.

My greatest achievement was “If a bear falls in a trifle can anyone hear them scream?” A black forest trifle featuring chocolate filled sponge bears….

matt_outandabout

Mama Moonter made this

I am your way on Monday – hold back a bowl for me….

tomd
    Free Member

The cheaper and dirtier the better for trifle. Permissible ingredients:

Sponge fingers
    Rowntrees jelly
    Tinned fruit
    Cream / birds trifle topping (aka fire retardant foam)
    Tinned custard or birds powder
    Hundreds and thousand, all the colours of the rainbow. Crumbled flake is also OK.

Not allowed:
    Fancy alcohol
    Home made sponge
    Home made custard
    Non tinned fruit
    Pretentious toppings

matt_outandabout

Rowntrees jelly

Profligate lifestyle of a king you.

Aldi jelly, purlease.

ads678

My Nana makes our Christmas Trifle. It involves alcohol, usually a bit too much! 😀

rocketman
    Free Member

The cheaper and dirtier the better for trifle

I would agree

The MIL makes a mean trifle using ingedients out of rusty tins and cardboard boxes. And they say what doesn’t kill you

perchypanther
    Free Member

how to make a perfect Trifle?

Joe remains unconcerned with your problems…. De minimis non curat lex.

johndoh
    Free Member

Does tiramisu count as trifle?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

and thats just the beauty of stw, ask the most bizarre question and people will have excellent advice.

i hear the cheap n’ cheerful, but mcmoonter has set the bar i feel. i now need to google sponge recipees and poached fruit and all that.

i also know what you guys are saying about booze, mrs oldskaters christmas cake has more brandy in it than the barrel they stuffed nelson in and has probably been seeped in it for longer too. and as we all know cake is not a drink.

tough year for being an ex whsiky drinker though, i discovered cornish moonshine in a shop last week and my word a taste of that would tempt me off the wagon as i’ve always been intrigued by moonshine.

trifle facebook group ‘join’ request sent.

akira

Use cut up Swiss roll instead of sponge fingers, hmmmm tasty. Cheap and dirty good for trifle but real cream has to be used, also you must eat it for breakfast on boxing day.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

” also you must eat it for breakfast on boxing day.”

Ours never ever sees Boxing Day

martinhutch

Does tiramisu count as trifle?

That’s immigrant trifle, that is. The people have spoken on this issue.

akira

Mcmoonter, you need to make a bigger trifle.

Cougar

You mean…

It needs to be a trifle bigger?

cyclingmev
    Free Member

Split and jam up your trifle sponges, soak in Laphroaig (though maybe fruit juice for you?) Place in base of bowl, add more Laphroaig)juice. Throw in loadsa fruit-berries etc,no nanas as they go soggy. Squish fruit down to release juice. Make up jelly,pour over fruit+ sponge combo,place in fridge for it to set.Once set,chuck loads of custard over top (sains Madagascar vanilla stuff is awesome), fridge it for a while…whisk up double cream,chuck on top of custard…there you go… sprinkle with almonds or more berries if you must.We devoured 2.5kg of trifle between 4 of us in one sitting… that includes extra cream+ice cream with servings too. Love trifle me.

thecaptain
    Free Member

No jelly (unless you are after a crap school lunch childrens’ party style)

captmorgan
    Free Member

Has anyone considered using panettone instead of sponge?

chewkw
    Free Member

how to make a perfect Trifle?

Most supermarkets make some good Trifles.

thecaptain
    Free Member

sponge is best a bit stale, so it soaks up the sherry and juice from the canned fruit.

thecaptain
    Free Member

dp

Houns

Why would anyone want their trifle to taste of TCP?!

theotherjonv

I’m not really a fan (don’t like fruit generally), but my wife makes and excellent one, using a recipe handed down from her mum.

Uses amaretto instead of sherry. And no jelly. And home made custard. And raspberries rather than mixed fruit. Not sure of the rest but I can ask her later if anyone’s really going to make a trifle rather than just drink the booze and then eat the sponge fingers.

lesgrandepotato

First the fingers, cheap and plentiful. Keeping adding sherry until the fingers are done and happy. Smear the fingers in jelly. Unload the custard over the fingers. After a suitable recovery period smear with creme and dive in.

colournoise

Just don’t bother. Trifle is vile stuff (admittedly I can’t deal with jelly, custard or cream so I’m on a loser before I start…).

Some nice fruit, poached or roasted with booze, and served with a really good vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of a crumble mix of some sort.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘THE most important question on STW this year… how to make a perfect Trifle?’ is closed to new replies.