Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • The most dangerous part of your commute?
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Harehills Rd, Leeds, at anytime but particularly when dark. It’s a straight road with rows of terrace houses either side and the holders of the communal driving licence seem to have no idea what GIVE WAY signs/lines are for. Them and the Q7/Cayenne/Range Rover driving drug dealers… 😐

crazy-legs

Passing Stockport Grammar School.

It’s already on a dual lane carriageway (the A6 heading north towards Stockport which is two narrow lanes in each direction at that point) but then factor in that every child clearly needs dropping right at the school door means all the Range Rovers and Audi Q7s are trying to turn in across 2 busy lanes of traffic while the mother tries to look over the steering wheel, shout at little Tarquin and Tabitha in the back and talk on the phone to her hairdresser all at the same time. Carnage.

MoreCashThanDash

Erewash Canal towpath just below the Sea Scout building. Bloody swans squeezed a nest between the track and the water, got quite irate with anyone trying to get past when the cygnets were there…..

TPTcruiser

+1 for crossing tram tracks in the rain.
    Perpendicular approach to reduce the contact area, easy does it speed.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I have 14 miles of country lanes where I might see half a dozen cars on a busy day, followed by a mile of “racetrack” which will only get worse if they ever decide to build Hinkley C.

Stu_N

Crossing the tram tracks at newly reopened Haymarket Junction – so no one really knows where they are going yet (self included) and there is either a shallow angle to cross or slow turn to get to ninety degrees. Not decided what best option is just yet.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Maltravers Road, Sheffield.

it’s a ’20’ – but noone’s told the chavs and drug-dealers who hoon along at 50.

it’s made worse by the lane-seperating islands, and the ‘pillow’ speed bumps, which mean the speeding ‘kwits cut in at the last minute split-second to avoid the islands / get their wheels either side of the bump.

it seems designed to kill cyclists/me.

after that, it’s every bit of road with a left-hand-junction coming up. When i’m in charge ‘left-hookers’ will get shot.

Freester

Meeting the local hunt pack of hounds being taken out for a walk on the lanes.

Damn they’re big scary things when they swarm round you and a few stop to sniff you.

They leave some big parcels on the lanes as well. Rider beware!

TiRed

rat runs are the most dangerous part of my commute.

I’ll see your rat run and raise you a LORRY rat run. Ritchings Park is a run for lorries to a Tarmac site. Not to mention the industrial estate near Iver and Heathrow World Distribution Site (see previous thread).

I tend to add on an extra few miles and go via Heathrow instead. Fewer lorries around Colnbrook. Cars don’t really bother me.

woody2000

I have a pretty good commute in general, worst bit is the mini roundabout that’s almost outside my house. 3 schools nearby, so there’s always a lot of parked cars and also people dashing off to work after dropping the kids off. Visibility approaching the roundabout from the left or right in this picture isn’t great and from the right it’s quite a downhill approach. People always seem to approach with no though to having to stop 🙁

I’m heading down the road in a morning, had a few close shaves with dozy mums and dads. I may have shouted some rude words in front of kids at some point too 😳

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Most dangerous part of my commute is the leafy suburb where the posh private school is. Dodging tiny yummy-mummies in mahoosive Range Rovers they can’t see over, and the odd occasional football randomly stopping to let their son out.

Though come fireworks night it all changes for a couple of days to the sink estate I have to skirt past – always wear glasses for that one just in case of the random firework in my direction 😯

cheese@4p

Going through Pamplona

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

The tram tracks that I have to cross at a really shallow angle on 23mm tyres. Terrifies me every day.

Not part of my commute, but had a bad accident involving those earlier in the year. Can no longer ride a road bike with drop bars because of it.

DezB
    Free Member

Camera was running this morning, so here’s the incident referred to in my post ^^^ up there.

Morons!
    [video]http://youtu.be/_fuX5XVt3E4[/video]

ddmonkey

There is a major junction near the train station in Geneva that is a big 5 way crossroads, covered in tram lines that you have to cross at angles while cars motorbikes moped buses and trams cross lanes etc. In the wet and dark its a bit scary as if the lights are green I hit it going downhill at some speed as well….

eshershore
    Free Member

saw this yesterday morning in St. John’s Wood in London, tree surgeons got their calculations a little wrong?

would have been nasty if passing on a bike…

ahwiles
    Free Member

or a tree fell over, and a tree surgeon tidied up?

maxlite
    Free Member

Makes my leaves on the cycle track seem limp 😉

jwt
    Free Member

Any section of the A590 with a speed limit of over 20mph.

buck53

DezB – Member
    Camera was running this morning, so here’s the incident referred to in my post ^^^ up there.

That is bonkers, very rarely get anything that bad on my commute.

project
    Free Member

When i was doing my apprenticeship, a cycle up a 1 in 7 hill, lorries used to have to struggle up the hill so i got into the hang of hanging onto the back, one missed his gear and started rolling back onto me, really scary, then there where the security who would lower the barrier as you approached to try and stop you riding into work, once in you had diesel shunters trundling round pulling wagons of steel scrap and very hot ingots, fly shunted wagons, with a man running at the side pinning down brakes, slippy rail lines,and lorry drivers opening cab doors, got knocked off once, by one nearly took my head and shoulders off due to the height of the cab door, and one of my mates got lassoed by a driver, roping and sheeting a load threw the rope over load and caught mates handlebars and he was off.

But somehow i survived 6 years of it.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The most dangerous part of your commute?’ is closed to new replies.