Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • The most consistently nice-looking bikes
  • SaxonRider

What manufacturer, in your opinion, makes the most consistently nice-looking bikes? Could be road, mountain, or whatever; you just have to name the company, and why you think their bikes tend to be the most attractive (whatever that means to you).

For mountain bikes, I have always liked a lot of the Santa Cruz offerings. I can’t remember a Chameleon I didn’t think was nice.

For road, it has to be Bianchi. I don’t have one, but I have always thought that their use of celeste as a colour gave them a sense of standing above other bikes.

honourablegeorge

SC have some awful colour schemes and occasional Driver 8s but usually look pretty good.

Trek are making really clean looking bikes with a single, simple graphic and one bold colour nowadays, am a big fan of the look. It’s what Transition used to do when they started out.

As for roadish stuff, that Shand chap makes some stunning steel bikes. No fan of the catalogue carbon ones, but I can happily spend an hour on his website looking at bikes I don’t need.

Bez

Islabikes, I think.

Might nominate Cannondale, too. I’m sure there have been a few biffers I can’t quite see through my rose-tinted spectacles, but there haven’t been many that I haven’t wanted at least a bit. Even the Hooligan sort of looked right in its own special way.

Trek do pretty well, too. And Genesis.

Am I allowed Pegoretti? 😀

Award for the most consistently awful, to answer a question you didn’t ask, is probably Pinarello.

tomhoward

I’m liking the current crop of pivots

fathomer

Cotics for me, granted they haven’t made loads of different models though. Oh and the Hemlock wasn’t great!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ibis are lovely looking bikes.
    Ritte do very nice road bikes.

IHN

Ritchey

And Genesis.

I’m a Genesis fan, but they’ve had some ropey colour schemes some years

spawnofyorkshire

Colnago don’t do much wrong in my eyes, even their aero bikes look good and keep classic lines rather than the dog having a dump arched top-tube (I’m looking at you Specialized)

Genesis are probably the most consistent with both road and MTB, again by keeping it simple and classic.

However it’s all in the eye of the beholder, I like classic designs and steel frames, not many carbon frames float my boat

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Mountain: Salsa.

Road: Wilier.

SaxonRider

I’m with you there. I actually have one, and LOVE it. I mentioned Bianchi, but I would rank Wilier up there with them – if not above.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Trek’s are always 7s or 8s – more than presentable, but I don’t recall any howlers or stunners either.

I was going to say Cove, they make lovely HTs and their FS bikes look good to me (being that they’re all pretty much the same design on different scales for varying travel) but then I remembered their Single Pivot FS frames and shuddered.

Commencals are nice – I remember even their entry Supernormal (or whatever it was called) from a few years ago was a beautiful looking bike, especially for an entry level HT.

epicyclo

There’s not many nice looking bikes these days. Too many lumps and bumps and distorted bent tubes.

TiRed

Big : Look – always different
    Small : English – just class

onandon
    Free Member

Cervelo

lunge

English
    Or perhaps Rourke. I guess I like steel road bikes.

Edit, great minds TiRed

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really like the new Transition range. Not too fussy, nice colours and really well sorted aesthetically.

dovebiker

Speedvagen make some lovely contemporary steel-framed bikes – road and CX

Moonmen and Blacksheep do some really interesting stuff

I have a fondness for Colnago as they have been one of the consistent innovators / best handling bikes

The less said about Bianchi the better – look beyond the paint and they’ve been woeful at times

6079smithw
    Free Member

Liteville of course.
    And also Seven

chakaping
    Free Member

Cotic, Stanton, Starling.

I’m going through a bit of a #steelisreal phase at the mo

qwerty
    Free Member

Singular Cycles.

funkmasterp

Genesis – they just seem to make nice, simple looking bikes.

Salsa – Not sure why I like them, but they always look pleasing to the eye.

Production Privee and Stanton – although they only have a few models, they manage to look retro and modern at the same time

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’d still love a Klein of any variety!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’d have to agree with qwerty and say Singular. Their bikes always look good and Sam seems to have a knack of picking great colours for each model.

I might be slightly biased with this as I’ve got one but there’s not a Mason bike that doesn’t look fantastic but it’s not exactly a huge range to choose from at the moment!

lazybike
    Free Member

Santa Cruz..

Klunk
    Free Member

Orbea range looks pretty good both mtb and road

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the teaboy – Member
    I’d still love a Klein of any variety!

Any?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Santa Cruz and wilier, as above. Trek this last couple of years, so not really consistently, Katy and T-Mo’s bikes are stunning.

ransos
    Free Member

I sold mine and bought a Mason. Both are lovely looking machines IMO.

leffeboy

good point. They always look good but for some reason they are not as instantly desirable as a Colnago

theteaboy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Any?

Ah, um, ahem. Forgot about that one.

soundninjauk

For road, Enigma. Their use of titanium makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. For mountain, I’ve never owned one but for some reason I think that Scott bikes look like machines with purpose. And I’ve seen some gorgeous Yeti’s hanging around Peaslake.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Nicolai, 2 triangles,square tubes, gorgeous machining and welds 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Forgot about Enigmas. Always gorgeous. If I check into a food stop on a sportive littered with lovely bikes it’s usually the Enigmas I end up gawping at.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Consistent?

Ritchey.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Breadwinner and Cotic for me. Some lovely choices on here though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The brand doesn’t matter they’ll either look rubbish or good depending how they’re setup.

For example, a Pegoretti that looks awful

A Fuji that looks good

As for MTBs, most full suspension bikes look awful, Santa Cruz included. The new Scott Sparks look ok, even with a ridiculous cassette..

RustySpanner

Hmmm.
    GT, Cannondale, Spesh, Ritchey, Breezer, Cotic, Surly.

But for MTB’s it has to be Singular.

Never ridden one, don’t know Sam.
    But I’ve never, ever seen an ugly Singular.

wilburt
    Free Member

Its about proportions, garden gate bikes never look good.

I’m not certain any brand gets it as there all just brand managers with different designers.

So take any any 54/56 road bike put some deep rims on it and it will look awesome to someone.

MTB are more complex but its still about proportion.

I’m enjoying this Merida at the moment.(even when its pointing the wrong way)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So take any any 54/56 road bike put some deep rims on it and it will look awesome to someone.

Anyone?

lazybike
    Free Member

looks as though someones already tried to kill it with fire.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘The most consistently nice-looking bikes’ is closed to new replies.