Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • The bestest, consistently good bands?
  • binners

Theres not many of them.

Just listening to the new Charlatans stuff, and it occurred to me that its still really really good stuff. Up to our Hips is over 20 years old and is still one of my all time favourite albums. They’ve never done a bad album IMHO. They’re bloody great live too!

A lot of good bands start well, then either self destruct, do an Oasis and employ the laws of diminishing returns, until it descends it unlistenable drivel, or start churning out hopelessly self-indulgent crap

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLEGsayAXKw[/video]

You have to take your hat off to Tim Burgess for having a consistently ridiculous haircut too! 😀

Your nominations please….

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m not so good with the more popular bands, they seem often to spike early then lose the music.

Magma – 44 years and still pushing boundaries of music

British Sea Power – never disappointed me yet after nearly 14 yrs

Opeth – seem strong, mixing genres at risk of disappointing fans, always a good sign.

Can’t think of any more off the top of my head.

jimjam
    Free Member

Clutch. /thread.

DezB
    Free Member

Cue a load of old rock bands that sound the same as they always did…

RustySpanner

Half Man Half Biscuit innit?

From ‘Back In The DHSS’ to this years ‘Urge For Offal’ they continue to be the best food related band that the Wirral has ever produced.

And not many bands can say that.

theotherjonv

The Wedding Present. Hardly a surprise, given that all the songs sound the same, but when it/they sound that good who cares.

Coincidentally, i shall be seeing them playing the ‘same’ song several times in a few hours time, in Oxford.

RustySpanner

Out of interest, ‘Urge For Offal’ contains references to both Delph and Bacup.

The first album to do so, I believe.

Hobster
    Free Member

Spiritualized

stumpy01

Stereophonics….

ThePinkster

Elbow.

Been around a lot longer than a lot of folks realise yet just as good now as they’ve always been.

isto
    Free Member

So far as well known bands it would have to be QOTSA for me:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpj1OXT6o2E[/video]

For less well known bands it would have to be Shellac (22 odd years):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAX8pyioL-U[/video]

Its even about riding bikes 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

U2

firestarter
    Free Member

James

binners

johndoh – go and sit on the naughty step and have a think about what it you’ve just said.

U2 have indeed been consistent. Consistently ****ing awful!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Whichever band Nick Cave is in at the time.
    and Bjork
    and a non-solo artiste: Underworld

grievoustim
    Free Member

Spoon – new album is just as great as the others

eskimonumber1

The Charlatans +1

Love the new single as much as anything else they’ve done in the past 20 odd years.

Can’t wait to see them live next year for the umpteenth time too!

john_drummer
    Free Member

New Model Army keep doing it for me
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkhrYUM35l4[/video]

jon1973
    Free Member

Creme Brulee

D0NK

Elbow.
    Been around a lot longer than a lot of folks realise yet just as good now as they’ve always been

latest was my least favourite (and seemed the shortest) album, their individual songs keep getting better but albums as a whole are on a (gentle) downward trajectory IMO, if that makes sense.

Lifer
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

Clutch. /thread.

FIST BUMP

Low have been pretty damn awesome

Converge

Mastodon

Tool

And all don’t ‘sound the same as they always did’

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Forgot to mention Clinic, 1984 – present. Touring this month! +1 for Nick cave and Underworld

[video]http://youtu.be/ozltNOVtnsg[/video]

moshimonster
    Free Member

+1 for U2. Obviously not cool today, but they’ve put out some great albums over the years and can certainly play live.

Got to say I like what Ian Brown has been doing for decades from the Stone Roses right through his solo career. Still cool today as well, certainly is Manchester anyway! Saw him live in Platt Fields a couple of years ago and the atmosphere was buzzing. I was surprised how many youngsters were there.

Lifer
    Free Member

moshimonster – Member

+1 for U2. Obviously not cool today, but they’ve put out some great albums over the years and can certainly play live.[/b]

With loads of backing tracks, yes.

jonnyrobertson

A few +1’s here for British Sea Power, Opeth, Mastodon, and Clutch. I’ll put forward Meshuggah, The Meads Of Asphodel, Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega and Yo La Tengo. Oh, and Porcupine Tree (and Steven Wilson’s solo stuff).Boards Of Canada would have made an appearance had their last album not been so dull. And after we’d waited so long for it as well. 😐

senorj

Underworld , Beck ( i know he’s not a band ,but..)
    Pink Floyd 😉 (guilty pleasure…)
    Sugababes

brassneck

Teenage Fanclub
    Wedding Present (natch)
    Prodigy
    Radiohead (YMMV)
    Seth Lakeman (apart from that one when they tried to turn him into the Levellers)

Klunk
    Free Member

The Black Keys

jimjam
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

jimjam – Member

Clutch. /thread.

FIST BUMP

Low have been pretty damn awesome

Converge

Mastodon

Tool

My first thought was Tool, but I really didn’t rate 10,000 days.

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW. I did not mean it about U2.

I was bored and trying to cause an argument.

👿

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Faith No More. Slash/Myles Kennedy still do some good rock n roll.
    Deftones
    Incubus

Lifer
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    but I really didn’t rate 10,000 days.

Loads of good songs on there! Vicarious, Wings for Marie 2, The Pot all in my top 10 Tool songs.

mudshark
    Free Member

REM

jamj1974

Just listening to the new Charlatans stuff, and it occurred to me that its still really really good stuff. Up to our Hips is over 20 years old and is still one of my all time favourite albums. They’ve never done a bad album IMHO. They’re bloody great live too!

I love them, have literally everything they have ever done and yet I have to disagree. Up At The Lake was not good. A reasonable EP if you selected carefully perhaps…. TB himself said they released it to get out of their Universal deal.

Most of Ian Browns stuff I have enjoyed as above mentioned by moshimonster.

moshimonster – Member
    +1 for U2. Obviously not cool today, but they’ve put out some great albums over the years and can certainly play live.
    With loads of backing tracks, yes.

No way! A band using sequencers in a live setting to add more elements than a four piece can. Must be the only band to do that. Lots of bands do it. Nothing dishonest. I wouldn’t count myself as a fan nowadays – but they can play live and more than one note too.

Led Zeppelin were pretty strong start to finish IMHO. Becj always seems to put the effort in as do Radiohead.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Oooo, I forgot the Prodigy. They just get better and better. Never seen live, but a few friends have and say they are excellent.

IHN

Coldplay

Lifer
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    No way! A band using sequencers in a live setting to add more elements than a four piece can. Must be the only band to do that. Lots of bands do it. Nothing dishonest. I wouldn’t count myself as a fan nowadays – but they can play live and more than one note too.

Sure, but have the guys doing keys and triggers and the backing musicians on stage with you at least. IMO.

binners

Good call monkeysfeet! I’ve seen ’em live loads of times over the years, and they’re consistently refreshingly bonkers!!! Theres not many gigs as mental as a Prodigy gig 😀

IHN – Much as I love you, you’re not allowed on threads about music. And you’ve just demonstrated why 😉

boxelder

Yo la Tengo
    Neil Young

HindlePie
    Free Member

Doves

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘The bestest, consistently good bands?’ is closed to new replies.