Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • The missus wants to buy a 2CV, how do i talk her out of it?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

You miss the point!

snowslave

I guess ultimately if you don't want your lady to buy one, you've got to factor in the views here, which really do explain the appeal of the 2cv to some as the ultimate anti-car. It's a big eff off to logic, green motoring, aerodynamics, safety, reliability, and the modern world of efficiency and things working clinically. Travel in a 2CV is exciting, cos of the uncertainty – it's an achievement to get somewhere. Alive.

I'd forgotten about that stuff, but hey, I was in that space when I bought mine for sure. At the time someone brought an ace advert into work by Citroen which actually picked up on all it's failings and made fun of them. you know, safety – the entire car is a crumple zone, central locking – you can reach all the doors from the drivers seat, etc. It was brilliant marketing – appealed exactly to my sentiments at the time. I've just failed to find it on tinternet, sadly. Then there was the Tintin brochure! Sold!

If she's in that zone, logic ain't going to win the debate mate. It's like singlespeeding for cars….

hora
    Free Member

Why not at a classic beetle?
    (dons tin hat and dives)

PJ266
    Free Member

[Quote]I hope no-one loves you then[/Quote]

My mum does 8)

hora
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

as for their not being green………..

how much polution do you think was created in making a new car (put of significanlty more metal and plastic) every 10 years compared to keeping a 2CV on the road for 30+ years?

coffeeking
    Free Member

After 10 years you pretty much need all the panels replacing on the 2CV spoon 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

true, but there's a lot less metal in the 2CV than there is in a Fiesta.

hora
    Free Member

As for the 2cv being a shed. I remember what remained of a Fiesta after a Audi 80 T boned it at circa 30mph. I think the driver of the Fiesta would have been somewhere around the passenger-door area.

coffeeking
    Free Member

God I hope no-one was holding up an old fiesta as an example of a safe car either 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I remember what remained of a Fiesta after a Audi 80 T boned it at circa 30mph.

What does that have to do with 2CVs?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

"Oi; Missus. NO!"

Simple as that.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

A morris Minor would be a more sensible "classic option", as people have continued to develop them. You can fit modern engines to them, update the suspension, and the brakes, without losing the essential charm of having a period piece.

martinxyz
    Free Member

My brother had one. it caught fire on the way to work one morning and they tried to waft it out with a rolled up newspaper but it wasnt enough. The screen cracked and they had to pull over to make a proper job of it.

Its good fun filling it up with folk and swaying side to side and ducking down as folk walk by. it bottoms out on both sides with what looks like nobody in it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO a morris minor is not the same sort of thing at all. 2CVs have disc brakes and fully independent suspension rather than drums and cart springs – altho they are an old design it was updated over the years and would be a far more practical drive.

As for the green thing – while the emmissions are not great – they do 50+ mpg no matter how you drive them – this is a big advantage over many cars in the green stakes. Less CO2

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘The missus wants to buy a 2CV, how do i talk her out of it?’ is closed to new replies.