Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The Minefield that is 'brakes…' What to buy ?
  • weeksy

Looking at some new brakes for the HT, don’t need to be amazing, but the Hayes pro expert i have on there now are monumentally poop.

I’m often a Formula fanboi, so they’re tempted as a pair of Used on ebay.

But i could take the advantage and up spec the FS Spearfish with some used HOPEs and then fit the Formulas i have at home onto the HT ?

Budget really is about £100 all in… I’m happy with new or used.

My options currently are
    Used Formula Mega
    Used Hope X2
    new Shimano M395
    new (China, in-bike) M615

Or ?

Northwind

I have a pair of R1s (that is, R1 plural not shitey R1S) I could do for £100, if that’s any use to you… Bit less hardcore than the Megas though

martinhutch

Deore M615s, I would have thought. Well in budget.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Deore

br
    Free Member

SLX’s, new.

I’ve had Hope’s and have currently R1’s on my HT but for my FS I’m finding it hard to beat SLX’s – cheap and work.

peteandsoo
    Free Member

shimano slx m675’s chain reaction have them . front and rears would come in at just under £100 forthe set and come with finned pads.they work well , easy to bleed and service

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Deores pissed oil out the pistons after 6 months.

Never had that issue with Hopes.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Brand new Deore’s with fancy rotors.

I’ve had two pairs and they’ve been way more reliable that the XT’s, Zee’s and XTR’s that I’ve had.

I’m currently running SRAM Guides on both bikes at the moment and have been really impressed with them so far.

GeForceJunky

I’m quite liking my SRAM DB5s at the moment, bargain at £28 each from CRC.

matt_outandabout

I have shiny new 615’s on eldest_oab’s bike – powerful, ‘snatchy’, reliable it seems.
    Older SLX and XT = reliable until they are a few years old, then stop working effectively for no apparent reason.
    I have shiny new Magura MT2’s on my bike. Apart from turkey gobbling sound from rotors, they are way more controllable than the 615s’, easily as powerful and have 5 year warranty. And they cost less.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The Minefield that is 'brakes…' What to buy ?’ is closed to new replies.