Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Mercury Music Prize
  • DezB
    Free Member

Anyone else remember the Young Marble Giants? 🙂

CountZero

Yes. Sort of. Your point, caller?

nickc

Gomez? Hmmmmm has been the kiss of death for some bands. Deserved winners this year

DezB
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Yes. Sort of. Your point, caller?

(Sorry I went to bed.)
    Nothing original about The XX. They're ok, but shouldn't the award go to something great? (like previous winners..erm… er..)

warton
    Free Member

the Mercury prize has lost its way a bit in the last few years.
    mid nineties it picked the best album of the year pretty much all of the time, regardless of genre or fashion (exception being roni size winning over OK Computer) now it just seems to be what the kidz are listening too. how Dizzee rascal has been nominated three times is totally beyond me. His last album was total rubbish, nothing new or original on there at all, yet he gets a nomination.

Admiralable
    Free Member

(Sorry I went to bed.)
    Nothing original about The XX. They're ok, but shouldn't the award go to something great? (like previous winners..erm… er..)

Suede, Pulp, Primal Scream, Portishead, Roni size

DezB
    Free Member

Presenters agreed that Bonkers is the standout track on Dizzee's album. A novelty hit being your best track is not a sign of greatness!

rOcKeTdOg

XX ❓
    Vin diesel won it?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I was rooting for Foals but quite happy The xx got it

organic355
    Free Member

I quite like the XX album, been listening to it a lot, really like the intro tune, and really like this remix of Basic Space: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkOUIGzVJZA

DezB
    Free Member

I quite like the XX album

Me too. Just doesn't blow me away.
    I love remixes of their stuff – Islands, the Nosaj Thing remix and Martparty's remix of Infinity are brilliant.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Presenters agreed that Bonkers is the standout track on Dizzee's album. A novelty hit being your best track is not a sign of greatness!

I did like it when they cut to performances from other tv shows, and they showed Dizzee Rascal. In the crowd (i think it was Later or something) there was a large contingency of 50 somethings clapping out of time……not sure that's the demographic he was going for

Pook

One night, oooooooo, one night in heaven…..

warton
    Free Member

lol at pook

nickc

Nothing original about The XX. They're ok, but shouldn't the award go to something great?

Hmmm, the basis for the prize is supposed to be the best album of the year, as judged by a panel. Perhaps that's what they thought deserved the win. TBH I think out of the nominations, they got it mostly right. There's nothing really 'original' about most of the nominees, incomprehensible jazz, mainstream rap, standard shoe gazing indie fare, couple of dad rockers, and female singer/songwriters….Out of that lot, The XX stand out like a sore thumb.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Even Simon Neal (Biffy Clyro) said earlier in the year that The XX was one of the best things he had heard this year.

personally really like it

mugsys_m8

Pooks, yes indeed. Didn't the M People win over some more worthy bands. Who was it though? Blur?

soobalias
    Free Member

a deserved album this year, better than the drivel they voted last year.

lodious
    Free Member

Just heard a track from the Xx on 6 music…sounded pretty good to me, singer had a great voice.

thebunk

Yeah, the xx sound OK on the radio, but don't make the mistake of going to a gig – unless watching 3 bored scruffy muppets press a button on a keyboard over and over and over again is your idea of a good time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The Mercury Music Prize’ is closed to new replies.