• This topic has 70 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • The Mary Rose ship – has it been worth the money ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Just seen on the news that you can finally see it without anything on it preserving it.

To me it looked like a pile of old wood and one that could have been built for a lot less than the shocking amount of money its cost over the years way into 40 million or more !

I remember watching it on TV being raised – sorry not buying this one waste of money !

I love history but not this !

Thoughts ?

jekkyl

I just watched it too and thought the same, it wasn’t designed to last all these years and I don’t think we’re any better off for having it around.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Build replica, put original in storage somewhere.

johnnystorm

Put Archaeology funding back decades as sponsors expected a complete ship with sails and flags flying to emerge. Not a broken up bit of hull.

This on the other hand:
    http://www.vasamuseet.se/en

SaxonRider

Part of me thinks it is fantastic that they have been able to preserve even the bit they have. On the other hand, it would have been almost more impressive for them to have built a replica, and sailed it.

They did this with an old trading ship belonging to the Hudson’s Bay Company, and sailed it across the Atlantic before building a whole museum around it in my home town.

This is it (called the Nonsuch):

pictonroad

back decades as sponsors expected a complete ship with sails and flags flying to emerge. Not a broken up bit of hull.
    This on the other hand:
    http://www.vasamuseet.se/en

Wow, what a story, thanks for posting, not heard of this.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Now I haven’t seen the programme (will search it out) but I am very pleased the project has been completed. History isn’t all about replicas, yes they have a part but the “real thing” has huge value. TheMary Rose was a very important ship and the way it was lost is part of history too. As foe the money its spent on a variety of things including skilled craftsmen and relearning lost skills. This has huge value too. I have to admit I am a “boat nut” and love maritime museums and build projects, the museum at Mystic in New England is fabulous foe that, it all has a place.

legend
    Free Member

This was a ship worth putting in a museum:

The Mary Rose, not so much

cbike
    Free Member

Yep should just torch it. Save the forensic historians of the future from learning new stuff and passing on that knowledge.

Thoughts? Singletrack user IQ had fallen sharply in the past few years.

oldnpastit

It’s about the same as the Cutty Sark restoration.

Which is an amazing boat with a history to match and easily worth it.

Northwind

I think it looks amazing… And I love the bravado of the whole project, I remember seeing it on TV when they brought it up.

Vasa is a more impressive exhibit but it’s over a hundred years younger and a totally different kettle of fish.

johnnystorm – Member

Put Archaeology funding back decades as sponsors expected a complete ship with sails and flags flying to emerge. Not a broken up bit of hull.

Was archaeology funding dependant on sponsors being gobsmackingly stupid and completely uninformed? What else upset them- “You said you were going to dig up Richard the 3rd of England but it turned out to be just some dead guy!”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What else upset them- “You said you were going to dig up Richard the 3rd of England but it turned out to be just some dead guy!”

He might be dead but at least he can still **** talk

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs1vPFQXdp8[/video]

oldnpastit

That video is pretty amazing! I’m totally convinced!

CountZero

It’s not just the Mary Rose, it’s the huge number of artefacts that were preserved along with her, and which have been undergoing parallel preservation, from which archaeologists and historians have learned an enormous amount about the lives of the ordinary people who crewed her, and who’s lives are seldom ever recorded in any sort of detail.
    That sort of knowledge is priceless, and adds the the sum total of human knowledge and preserved history.
    Or we could just bin it and piss around playing Pokemon Go like a bunch of six year olds. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

On the other hand, it would have been almost more impressive for them to have built a replica, and sailed it.

Nice idea, except that a replica wouldn’t have sailed far. It was badly refitted, which is why it sank 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It was badly refitted, which is why it sank

I thought all the lifeboats were still in place and the table was set for dinner?

johnnystorm

Northwind said:

Was archaeology funding dependant on sponsors being gobsmackingly stupid and completely uninformed? What else upset them- “You said you were going to dig up Richard the 3rd of England but it turned out to be just some dead guy!”

In short yes, expectations were not very well managed. Allied to that the whole business of having to spend a lifetime continually spraying it with polyethylene glycol to preserve it. Wooden ships stored under mud in cold anaerobic conditions will last thousands of years. Pull them out of the mud and the rot literally sets in. If you really want to learn about a range of old ships it’s better to study them and then put them back where you found them. The millions saved can then be used to find and study other shipwrecks.

We haven’t learnt anything extra by putting the actual ship on display just spent a lot of money doing so. I appreciate it’s more interesting seeing ‘the real thing’ but in pure terms of what’s been discovered it adds little having it sat there once you’ve looked at it in detail.

Archaeology’s problem is that “fact” is established on what you find. So “tudor ships were built like this” is based on what we learnt from the Mary Rose, rather than “this is what we discovered from looking at a number of vessels”.

Drac

Worth event penny certainly far more than knocking up a replica, what’s the point in that?

I remember if featuring in Blue Peter when they started to prepare to raise it until they finally did, that was almost 40 years ago. So it’s cost just over a million per year to bring her back, not bad I’d say.

johnnystorm

Worth event penny certainly far more than knocking up a replica, what’s the point in that?

Because you can actually see an actual ship sail rather than look at half a hull and thereby really learn about what the vessel, life on board, etc was like.

I remember if featuring in Blue Peter when they started to prepare to raise it until they finally did, that was almost 40 years ago. So it’s cost just over a million per year to bring her back, not bad I’d say.

So for £40,000,000 you have one fragment of a fairly well-documented vessel that will also cost a million a year for evermore to maintain. By excavating, documenting, then returning you could then spend the million per year on discovering other vessels and thereby truly expanding our knowledge on maritime history.

Drac

Because you can actually see an actual ship sail rather than look at half a hull and thereby really learn about what the vessel, life on board, etc was like.

Why would I want to do that when we can see the real thing,

Let’s build a new Roman Wall instead of preserving the he one we’ve got.

So for £40,000,000 you have one fragment of a fairly well-documented vessel that will also cost a million a year for evermore to maintain. By excavating, documenting, then returning you could then spend the million per year on discovering other vessels and thereby truly expanding our knowledge on maritime history.

Why not just build replicas?

DT78
    Free Member

The vasa linked is awesome. It is like the black pearl…looking forward to my boy being old enough to take there

richmars

Well worth it. I’m sure someone here could work out how much it’s cost per person per year.

johnnystorm

Why would I want to do that when we can see the real thing,

Let’s build a new Roman Wall instead of preserving the he one we’ve got.

I suppose it depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want to look at a bit of an old boat or see a replica that actually shows you why the vessel was such a big deal in the first place?

Why not just build replicas?

You can’t build a replica until you’ve discovered and studied a vessel. Our knowledge has improved on how the Mary Rose was constructed, but we aren’t expanding our knowledge anymore but still having to pay for it.

For me the acquisition of knowledge is more important than the object. I wouldn’t want the Mary Rose disposed of but similarly there’s stuff out there that’s being ignored while all the focus is on one wreck.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What a waste of money that could have kept several Nigel Farages in Brussels for years, There are literally hundreds of doctors we could deport with that money. I’ve read hornblower so I know all about this sort of shit. You couldn’t make it up.

johndoh
    Free Member

I think our history and the knowledge that being able to explore it brings is worth every penny.

kimbers

It’s amazing really,

Wonder how much it cost King Henry back in the day?
    That man really knew how to spend to your taxes.

Would it compare to the cost of the new Trident subs?

nickjb
    Free Member

Wonder how much it cost King Henry back in the day?
    That man really knew how to spend to your taxes.

Would it compare to the cost of the new Trident subs?Quite a bit cheaper… a figure of roughly £1,104 in Tudor money, or £6,580,000 in modern project labour costs today. http://www.maryrose.org/putting-a-price-on-the-mary-rose/ Less than half the cost of a single missile.

dragon
    Free Member

I’d rather see the proper thing (in this case I did years ago) and that’s even if that is just a bit of wood. I just don’t trust models, how do I know they are accurate? I blame Time Team and their approach of find a flint and then somehow that means they can recreate an entire Roman Villa.

Northwind

johnnystorm – Member

In short yes, expectations were not very well managed. Allied to that the whole business of having to spend a lifetime continually spraying it with polyethylene glycol to preserve it. Wooden ships stored under mud in cold anaerobic conditions will last thousands of years. Pull them out of the mud and the rot literally sets in. I

I knew all this as a small child, John Craven told me on Newsround. That was before he’d been preserved and put in a museum as the last surviving children’s tv presenter that’s not a sex beast.

nickc

Yeah **** history, what can we learn from that

nickjb
    Free Member

Yeah **** history, what can we learn from that

[quote]Yeah **** history, what can we learn from that[/quote]
    If you fail to learn from it you may be forced to repeat it

EDIT doesn’t work now duplicate post has been deleted. Damn you mods!

avdave2

The Vasa is utterly amazing. I had a few hours off in Stockholm as my flight home wasn’t until the evening so I thought I might just pop along and have a look at it. I’m not sure quite what I was expecting but I walked through the entrance and was quite literally stopped in my tracks. I had to spend a few minutes just looking and wondering if this thing in front of me was even real. If you ever happen to be in Stockholm then it’s an absolute must, the single most impressive thing I’ve ever seen in a museum.

Drac

The cost hasn’t just been for the ship, they’ve found weapons and other historical items which has taught them loads. I’m confused by johnnystorm he claims we’d be better spending more on just what we spent money on the Mary Rose for.

isto
    Free Member

I have been to the Vasa and it is truly amazing. When you first walk in to the museum and see the ship it is completely overwhelming. The fact that they built the museum around the ship and have spent so much time creating the accompanying exhibits make it a place really worth visiting.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I remember watching it being raised as a kid and thought it was a complete waste of time and money.

However, I went to the museum last year and was blown away by it.

The weapons, the clothing and t everyday stuff they recovered and learnt so much from are spectacular.

How many of the haters on here have actually been to the museum?

beanum

The Vasa is indeed amazing to see. I was expecting a Mary Rose type structure so, like isto above I was stopped in my tracks when I entered..

It’s a bit of a national embarrassment for the Swedes though, as it sank just a few minutes into it’s maiden voyage… Oops!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/t2kbBp]Vasa Museum (6)[/url] by Beanum, on Flickr

avdave2

There is an interesting bit here on why the Vasa sunk.
    It appears it was partly down to men not measuring their inches properly, who’d of thought it.

johnnystorm

The cost hasn’t just been for the ship, they’ve found weapons and other historical items which has taught them loads. I’m confused by johnnystorm he claims we’d be better spending more on just what we spent money on the Mary Rose for.

I’m all for discovering new artifacts and learning new things about the past. The money spent keeping a chunk of Hull from rotting could be spent on uncovering more wrecks, not just maintaining one from which we can learn no more.

As mentioned above the time team comment sums this up perfectly. If you just look at one site you have to generalise, look at a number of sites and you get a better picture of the past.

Drac

What are you going to do with them after you’ve recovered them?

Didn’t the MOD pay a large chunk towards the cost?

mefty
    Free Member

The money spent keeping a chunk of Hull from rotting

TBF they have spent quite a lot of money regenerating Hull.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘The Mary Rose ship – has it been worth the money ?’ is closed to new replies.