Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • The Martian
  • fasthaggis

Just back from seeing it,glad that I read the book first.
    All in all,I thought most of it was ok,and really liked the 3D bits.
    They whooshed through the science at a fair speed and could easily have traded Sean Bean (who let him through the auditions?) and some of the more cheesey moments in for a bit more detail.
    Bonus seeing the second trailer for Sicario though,looks good.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I enjoyed it considerably, in part because:

Missus asked if was based on a true story

isn’t by any means the stupidest question someone could ask about it. It has a fairly serious feeling of being real, even if you know that “in real life” it wouldn’t have a happy ending.

The inevitable lists of “best space film ever” have led me to The Europa Report, which is on the list for the weekend.

🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

The inevitable lists of “best space film ever” have led me to The Europa Report, which is on the list for the weekend.

Really underrated movie IMO bigdummy, you’ll enjoy it.

Have you seen Sunshine? A bit more “artistic”, but a very enjoyable space movie.

kimbers

Agree with fasthaggis review, bean was awful casting, and those carries…!
    Not ascheesey as I feared, ending ewas a bit ott, but I still enjoyed it

Missus wanted to see Macbeth but I overruled, I think she’s a bit miffed

willard

Paid the extra to watch it in 3D and, whilst it did not add much, it gave it a little extra something. Overall, not a bad film. Decent special effects, decent acting, decent plot. I plan to read the book though, which I have been told is better.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I went to see this on Friday having previously read the book.

I was happy to see that the film was very in keeping with the book.

The book is much more in depth but a lot of it would not have translated to something worth watching its a 2.5 hr film as it is.

Def worth a look.

fasthaggis

She’s right to be.
    Macbeth is #awesome 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member
    I enjoyed it considerably, in part because:

Missus asked if was based on a true story

kimbers – Member

Change partners.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I too like the look of the Europa Repor….t

8)

seosamh77
    Free Member

willard – Member
    Paid the extra to watch it in 3D and, whilst it did not add much, it gave it a little extra something. Overall, not a bad film. Decent special effects, decent acting, decent plot. I plan to read the book though, which I have been told is better.

The book’s brilliant, would defo recommend it.

The Europa report is decent enough.

mike_p
    Free Member

Saw it last week, basically it’s Apollo 13 done by Ridley Scott. It was okay, the ending was a crock of shite tho’.

3D is distracting, just looks like loads of 2D images (with shadows…) piled one on top of the other and given fake perspective.

sirromj

Saw last night. Enjoyed it for the most part except the inevitable cheese. Thought it a bit too long. Some questions:

1) Were the black particles the size of peanuts that were blown around by the gale just feathers, because they didn’t seem to make a single mark on the space suits.

2) Is it possible for a small satellite dish to be blown by gales with enough force to knock a man fifty feet (or whatever it was) simultenously as other people walking along on the ground and only having to lean slightly into the wind?

3) Yet polythene and gaffer tape…?

cbike
    Free Member

4) Could the wee emergency departure rocket thing have enough manouvering stuff left on it to go and get him instead of the rope?

Physics and common sense are often ignored though to make drama.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Even the author has admitted that major error in the plot is the storm. The atmosphere is so thin even a 60mph wind would have little power.

spekkie
    Free Member

Kato – re wife asking if it was based on a true story – I read in an interview someone asked MD if it was “lonely” filming like that. He tactfully pointed out that the entire film and support crew were never more than “about 5 feet away” and anyway (spoiler alert!!) they weren’t really on Mars.

mike_p
    Free Member

Physics and common sense are often ignored though to make drama.

Which reminds me, the pirouette at the end, when he’s snagged in the tether… as he was pulled in they’d have sped up (conservation of angular momentum and all that) to the point of blackout

There was a lot of bad physics in The Martian. By contrast I thought Gravity was pretty good for that, the only dodgy bit I spotted was right before George drifted off

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Even the author has admitted that major error in the plot is the storm. The atmosphere is so thin even a 60mph wind would have little power.

Maybe I was reading the same thing, but I think he said he’s since found out there’s lightning on Mars and he’d maybe have done something with that instead if he’d known.

jimdubleyou

Maybe I was reading the same thing, but I think he said he’s since found out there’s lightning on Mars and he’d maybe have done something with that instead if he’d known.[/quote]

The scientifically impossible, but narratively essential storm. 😛

I loved the book – primarily because of the science content I think. I thought the film was ok. Not a masterpiece by any stretch.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There was a lot of bad physics in The Martian. By contrast I thought Gravity was pretty good for that, the only dodgy bit I spotted was right before George drifted off

Spoiler alert!!!

m360
    Free Member

I haven’t read the book, but I did enjoy the film because:

Didn’t take itself seriously
    Was humorous
    Was never going to be scientifically accurate, so didn’t waste the story trying to be
    Had zero love interest in it (so many films are a “love story” wrapped up in whatever genre these days – Armageddon for a sci-fi example)

Overall I thought it was fun and enjoyable and worth a watch 8)

tthew

OK, I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and have one question, (possible spoiler if you’ve not already watched)

Once he blew all his potatoes up, where did he get water from? I may not have been paying attention properly, it only occurred to me after.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Making water by burning rocket fuel over a catalyst?

fourbanger
    Free Member

I thought I was good but a bit sexist at the end. The book had the commander make the sensible decision to stay on board and send another crew member to attempt the high risk orbital rescue.
    The patriarchy, clearly not happy with a strong female role model, changed the film to have the commander make the totally illogical decision to make the rescue herself, thus making her look incompetent against the fairly scientific accurate backdrop of the rest of the film.

tthew

Making water by burning rocket fuel over a catalyst?

That’s how he did it to grow his potatoes in the first place, but I don’t remember him setting it all up again after the air lock failed.

I may not have been paying enough attention, but presumably if he did set it up again he could have just set another crop with some of the potatoes in the trays he still had and fresh shite out of the vacuum dunny.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

He had enough water for himself from recycling (atmospheric and waste) but not the potatoes if I remember correctly.

jon1973
    Free Member

so many films are a “love story” wrapped up in whatever genre these days – Armageddon for a sci-fi example

These days? Armageddon is 17 years old 🙂

tthew

He had enough water for himself from recycling (atmospheric and waste) but not the potatoes if I remember correctly.

Ta. Should have paid more attention.

v8ninety

Spoiler alert!!!

I’m not sure its that massive a spoiler that Mr Clooney has a little kip at some point in the film 😉

CHB

Saw it tonight. Really enjoyed it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

For me, it was confirmation that Mr Ridley is in steady decline and will never make another great movie.

Soundtrack/terrible, tension/non-existent, casting/awful, script/rediculous.

Tedious affair which lacked real tension and thin character development. Had so much potential to be a truly lonely and harrowing (for the right reasons) experience – but created an atmosphere as thin as that on the Red Planet.

I ended up saying Maaaaat Daaaaaamon repeatedly instead, to entertain myself.

back2basics
    Free Member

Good job it wasn’t based on too real life NASA emergencies otherwise it would be a 5 year government investigation that revealed a memo from engineers state matt Damon is alive on Mars with 100 percent probability but only survive 3 months before ares 4 can land 3 years later, and the response would be “we believe it will be fine….”

slimjim78
    Free Member

Que?

back2basics
    Free Member

Didn’t they discover that the first O Ring disaster the engineers had raised the issue in a memo about the problem ages before it went pop but the management said it would be ok and the cost of ree engineering the solid was to much
    Then the incident of the foam padding hitting the wing at take off. Engineers put in an email they thought it was enough to rupture the Tiles. Yet again they were overruled

seadog101

Seen it, thought it was great. Now for the book!

Clobber
    Free Member

Seen it, thought it was great. Now for the book!

This +1 ! really enjoyed it…

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘The Martian’ is closed to new replies.