Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • The Martian
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve just been to see the film and have say I was delighted by it. There a few changes from the book that grated slightly but you can see why they were made. An excellent version of the book that I thought would be possibly ruined (obviously not as badly as they ruined World War Z).
    Go see it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shall do, ta.

Does he die 😆

footflaps

We’re booked for tomorrow evening…..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    Shall do, ta.
    Does he die

Maybe.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Saw it last night. Absolute gubbins. Mildly entertaining with impressive (albeit CGI generated) visuals at times, but generally absolute gubbins.

Not quite sure when a decent film will be made by Hollywood ever again. We are living in the decade of shite.. 😆

LeeW

One of these days Hollywood is just going to say ‘no’ and not bother to rescue Matt Damon, he must of cost a fortune over the years/movies.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Mark Kermode loved it! He seems to be a reasonable judge of films.

Seeing it tomorrow..

Jerome
    Free Member

Loved it here..

Trekster

“Date night” with MrsT and no idea what we were going to see ….
    As per n-e-d = gubbins…. Or garbage…….
    Intimate cinema, Zeffs in Ambleside with approx 20 others 🙂

Caher

Read the book and loved it. I’ll wait for the hullabaloo to die down then see it.

unovolo
    Free Member

Just come back from watching it and really enjoyed it maybe I’m easily pleased.

phiiiiil

We saw it this afternoon; we both loved it, best film I’ve seen in ages. The depiction of all the engineers was brilliant!

Lionheart
    Free Member

Film almost as good as the book so well worth watching.

Flaperon

Saw it this afternoon, thought it was great. But I loved the book.

RustyNissanPrairie

Book was as far fetched as dog shit from China. I expect the films worse as bad.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A chacun son goût.
    Personally I’m saving my bile for the release of The Walk. Why bother making a Hollywood epic when Man On Wire was awesome and was the documentary shot by the guy himself?

DrJ

Jessica Chastain. Tick.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I didn’t know it was from a book but went to see it last night and really enjoyed it. Its not exactly taxing cinema but its an enjoyable story none the less.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

It’s crap.

njee20
    Free Member

We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

What’s wrong with it, to all the haterz? Is this a “it’s popular, so it’s shit” thing?

Travis

@Rusty… we still have white dog sh!t in China

footflaps

We really enjoyed it, great film.

seadog101

Can’t wait, looking forward to seeing it next weekend. Been very well received by nearly all critics I’ve seen .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhhhh, it’s really rather excellent!!

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

8)

peterfile
    Free Member

I really liked the book and was really looking forward to seeing the movie last night.

Was a bit disappointed to be honest! Thought it was cheesy and the acting was a bit guff. It was a late screening after a 15 hour day though, so maybe I was just grumpy and tired.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Saw this last night, and I’d already read the book.
    Pretty good as far as book adaptations go, but there were a few bum notes for me.
    I thought the tone was maybe a bit too light-hearted, and they didn’t know when to stop with some of the ‘jokey’ bits. Some cringey ‘banter’ in there too.
    But my faith in Ridley Scott has at least slowed its decline 🙂

sandwicheater

Hope to catch this next week. Loved the book.

Kato

Loved it. Missus asked if was based on a true story, then got the hump when I laughed. I laughed for a long time…..

jon1973
    Free Member

Generally enjoyed it a lot, but put off a little by phrases like “We gotta Science the Shit out of this”.

vorlich
    Free Member

The jokey bits were met with stony silence from me, the bloke next to me never laughed either. Although the simpletons in the audience seemed to enjoy it.

I though it looked pretty shit too, I can’t quite put my finger on it. I didn’t look very ‘cinematic’.

Still, it was better than Prometheus…

I thought the tone was maybe a bit too light-hearted

I found the book quite funny in places. His journal was supposed to be humorously dry. I was hoping they hadn’t made the film all deadly serious and gung ho.

I’m tempted to give it a try. I normally hate films made from good books.

peterfile
    Free Member

I didn’t look very ‘cinematic’.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! It felt a bit low budget from that perspective (and not in the good way like Moon is). It was ambitious but didn’t really carry it off.

I’m being overly critical because I liked the book and thought “this will be a great movie”, but I thought they focused so much on the tasks that Damon had to carry out that the cinematography was an afterthought. They had so much potential to portray the fact that he was alone on this huge planet, but they didn’t.

v8ninety

I really enjoyed it, I thought it was quite beautiful and the humorous bits made me chuckle. (I guess that makes me a simpleton 😕 ) whilst my partner fell asleep. She obviously has a more refined taste.

One thing; what was the explanation given as to why there was a convienient spare MAV sitting in a crater just up the road?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So the Aries 4 mission could get back. Send the MAV early and it just sits there ticking away making fuel from the atmosphere.

v8ninety

So long as it doesn’t get blown over by a storm? 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I found the book quite funny in places. His journal was supposed to be humorously dry. I was hoping they hadn’t made the film all deadly serious and gung ho.

I did too, but I just thought they leaned on that a bit too much, with the disco music etc. Esepecially as they missed out some of the stuff he had to deal with in the book.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Loved it. Missus asked if was based on a true story, then got the hump when I laughed.

Yes it’s a true story, it’s so sad – he’s still up there. If you look through this telescope you can see him waving -look there he is <wipes tear from eye>.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Maaaaaaat Daaaaamooon….

seosamh77
    Free Member

Seen it last night, really enjoyed it, pretty faithful to the book, obviously had to pick and choose what to leave out, but I rekcon the should have made more of the journey rather than add in all the shite at the end that wasn’t in the book. (obviously someones thinking possible sequel with that. i reckon.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘The Martian’ is closed to new replies.