Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The Mars Volta
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I just did a search for “Mars Volta” [yes I used google search too] on STW and NO ONE has mantioned them, ever.

What gives? Man that’s some awesome crazyness they have there.

Anyone seen them live? I missed a gig in London a while back, still kicking myself.

ratherbeintobago

Didn’t see the Mars Volta, but did see At The Drive In when they played in Manchester, which was tremendous.

prawny

Nope, and from what I’ve heard from mates I didn’t miss much. Too much prog fret w**king apparently.

First albums was immense though, didn’t really click with the second, so didn’t bother afterwards.

penac

saw them a few times in London Brixton, Astoria and Forum I think, fantastic live band.

Putting Scab dates on now, thanks for the reminder OP

Lifer
    Free Member

Deloused is brilliant, then they got lost. Brother saw them live and what he said corresponds with prawny’s impression.

Harris
    Free Member

Saw them at the Barrowlands supporting the first record. It was OK but I wouldn’t go twice. Saw At The Drive at the Arches in 2001. Utterly chaotic and brilliant. It was like watching their Jools Holland appearance for seventy minutes.

justinbieber

Yup, agree with everything said above. First album brilliant, then a rapid decline. Kept on listening to see if it got any better, but it didn’t

_tom_
    Free Member

I love Deloused and Frances the Mute has its moments. Not a patch on ATDI though but that’s a pretty tough act to follow!

andeh

I’d love to have seen ATDI, though videos I’ve seen look less than tight. I do like Mars Volta, though have to be in the right moor for some of their later stuff, it’s a bit self indulgent.

chillidave
    Free Member

Likewise I really wanted to see ATDI, I did see TMV back in 2002 supporting Les Savy Fav and a couple of years after supporting Frances. I really enjoyed the shows, they hadn’t descended in to total fret w***ery then. Still enjoyable to see in later years.

Still even the latest stuff sounds brilliant compared to Antemasque.

andeh

TMV back in 2002 supporting Les Savy Fav

URRRGH, that must have been awesome. Love Les Savy Fav, really want them to do some touring again. Would have loved to see them at ATP but couldn’t afford it at the time 😐

DezB
    Free Member

ATDI’s Relationship of Command was reissued earlier this year, so I thought a reformation was on the cards… that was in July though

Northwind

I think I just made the mistake of thinking TMV might sound anything like ATDI, so ended up hating them. Though tbh I think I would have come round to hating them anyway, just would have taken longer.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I think I just made the mistake of thinking TMV might sound anything like ATDI, so ended up hating them. Though tbh I think I would have come round to hating them anyway, just would have taken longer

This. Inertiatic ESP was brilliant, everything else unlistenable. My (then) girlfriend and I went to see them on their first tour and by the third song we gave each other the ‘WTF?’ look and made a beeline for the bar.

As it turned out, Sparta was by far my favourite of the bands to rise out of the ashes of ATDI. Not that they sounded all that similar either, but something resonated that certainly didn’t with Mars Volta.

chvck
    Free Member

Now been listening to the Mars Volta all morning and had totally forgotten about ATDI so thanks for that :).

njee20
    Free Member

Strangely I put “(The Haunt of) Roulette Dares” back on my ‘riding playlist’ last night having not listened to it for years. Agree that Deloused in the Comatorium is great.

rascal
    Free Member

‘Relationship of Command’ by ATDI – discovered it recently – bloody brilliant and now played to death!

thebunk

Les Savy Fav were amazing – ended up on stage with them at ULU (along with everyone else), and then at Bristol the stage slowly disintegrated.

He liked putting his tongue in lightbulb holders from what I recall.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Deloused is brilliant, then they got lost.

this.

saw them at reading when they were touring deloused.

Too much prog fret w**king

They played 2 & a half songs in their 45 minute set. people were leaving in droves.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well well well…. Much to learn it seems, about At The Drive In.

Also I’ll less bothered about missing that gig now!

Rock on!

everyone
    Free Member

Well it looks like deloused is going on my phone for listening to at work!

isto
    Free Member

If you are planning a listen to AttheDrive-In and you haven’t already have a listen to Fugazi. They were a big influence on ATDI and everything they have done is…well….awesome. Also amazing live.

thomthumb
    Free Member

If you are planning a listen to AttheDrive-In and you haven’t already have a listen to Fugazi.

i love ATDI but don’t really know fugazi (other than wu-gazi!!). Any pointers where to start?

isto
    Free Member

If you YouTube the song “Waiting Room” – it was the song that originally sparked my interest in them. Asides from that try listening to “Repeater”, “Suggestion”, “Shut the Door” and of their newer stuff I really like “Break”. On the quieter side of things “Long Division” is a truly amazing song.

chillidave
    Free Member

I was at the ULU show too, it was awesome though my female friend was a little troubled by Tim Harrington’s bare chested calls of “we’re going down together”. I don’t think Frances the Mute is as big a step down as some say, L’via L’viaquez is one of their best.

It’s a shame both they and Sparta seemed to drift.

With Fugazi I’d definitely say start from 13 Songs and work through in order, there’s progression but not a bad album there. Though if you do check out just songs one of them has to be Blueprint, absolutely awesome.

Lifer
    Free Member

Fugazi – my favourite album is ‘The Argument’ with ’13 Songs’ and ‘Repeater’ close behind.

The ‘Instrument’ film is one of my favourite music related DVDs of ever.

isto
    Free Member

Yip mine too….instrument is an amazing DVD. Just need them to come off their hiatus and do a new album – which apparently is due in November.

_tom_
    Free Member

All Fugazi is awesome. I’d say Repeater or Red Medicine are my favourites, but The Argument is brilliant as well. Love this bassline

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GdCc3KjlEw[/video]

And this is just an absolute tune

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ED_jqvzt8[/video]

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Harris – Member

Saw them at the Barrowlands supporting the first record. It was OK but I wouldn’t go twice. Saw At The Drive at the Arches in 2001. Utterly chaotic and brilliant. It was like watching their Jools Holland appearance for seventy minutes.

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

I wss there too it was epic, though I don’t agree with their insistence on preventing mosh pits.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The Mars Volta’ is closed to new replies.