Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB)
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience with the MAIB? Good or bad?

haddock
    Free Member

In what context though? Leisure or commercial?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Either really I am trying to get a feel for how efficent they are? Typical Civil Servants or more switched on?

I am amazed I even got one reply 🙂 STW the font of all knowledge.

wwaswas

haddock earlier;

haddock
    Free Member

Ha Ha, what have you done wrong?? I see your in Southhampton 😉

They are very good and produce excellent freely published reports on all manner of Marine accidents. Its well worth having a look at their Accident reports, sadly many are very tragic, but the reports are always easy to read and make clear what lessons can be learnt. An interesting yet slightly morbid read!

Many of the pleasure craft ones tell the old story though – wear lifejackets, buy and learn to use VHF's, EPIRBS, Liferafts, dont drive speedboats pissed etc

The commercial investigations can be anything from Collisions and fires to accidents to members of the crew such as falls, crush injuries or drownings.

haddock
    Free Member

wwaswas -Yes I'm feeling like a salty old sea dog once more – argh those were the days, when ships were made of wood, and men made of steel!

MAIB 'Safety Digest' are the pubished reports.

soma_rich
    Free Member

haddock looking at a possible job there and doing soem research 🙂
    Thanks I have been reading the reports..

haddock
    Free Member

Probably very interesting, go for it! Were you at sea by any chance?
    (Show me your ships thread looming) 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

W hat tyres for a ship!?!?

wwaswas

Specialized The Captains for haddock, surely 😉

haddock
    Free Member

Some of the places i've taken a ship – we needed tyres. (followed by a salty 'argh!').

soma_rich
    Free Member

Probably very interesting, go for it! Were you at sea by any chance?

No its a techy role…. 🙂

haddock
    Free Member

so no shipping thread then 🙁

bent_udder
    Free Member

I used to read MAIB reports when I worked for a sailing magazine. I talked to a couple of people from there a few times as well.
    As said, the reports are really well put together, very clear, jargon free and a must read for anyone who takes to the water. The guys I spoke to there were very competent investigators and knew exactly what they were doing. Not your usual civil service mob by a long stretch. They're held in high regard within the sailing industry for starters.

And since you ask, WCA, usually the promotional caps that boat builders give out. Although a very long time ago, Mount Gay Rum hats were the order of the day. I was once offered £500 for one I was wearing by a drunk Yank. I stupidly refused out of principle.

soma_rich
    Free Member

bent_udder exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you 😀

Now I just need to pass the interveiw 😐

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You will sail through…

…and even if you sink without trace they will be able to tell you why 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB)’ is closed to new replies.