Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The Marin trail – worth the trip?
  • hora
    Free Member

Last time I went was 7+(?) years ago. Is it worth a revisit?

I don’t like well groomed kitty litter paths like at Gisburn. Is it better than that or lots the same?

dazh

Penmachno is better. Mostly natural feeling rocky singletrack, although there are a coupe of new sections which are still very well groomed.

You can do both in one ride if 85km doesn’t scare you off.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I went a couple of weeks ago after not going for about the same time
    Thought it was a good balance of fireroads and fun natural stuff
    The new section is more groomed but takes you by surprise as its so different to the rest of the trail
    Dropping through the wall is a great idea

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Marin trail is quite good, the new bit has made it gooderer. If you go on a clear day you get some really beautiful views in certain places. So yes, worth the trip, but try visiting Penmachno first, IMO it’s a better trail. as mentioned above, it’s a big day to do both places in one ride, but it’s only a 15 minute drive over to Marin after you’ve ridden Penmachno, with cake shops in between.

hammerite
    Free Member

Or go for a weekend, Marin one day, Penmachno the other. Last time we did the Marin we went for a wonder up Snowdon in the afternoon. Makes it a more worthwhile trip then.

montgomery
    Free Member

Worth the trip? Depends how far the trip is. The second half is pretty good – here y’go (work in progress).

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I love the place. Proper old school trail centre where you have to climb to earn your down hill sections! Lots of people prefer Penmachno but I’m the other way around. Find Penmachno a bit undulating/pedally plus it’s always covered in standing water. Just never managed to click with it. Still ride it every so often though just prefer the Marin.

connect2

As above, depends how far the trip is. I was on holiday in the area and did it on Thursday in under two and a half hours on my CX and I’m far from fast, there’s nothing very technical. Nice day out on a bike though, I’d do it again

stevedoc
    Free Member

Went 4 weeks back , did a quick run up Drum in the morning then Marin in the afternoon , totally enjoyed it , loved Endor and almost caught me out big time,
    Followed it up with a massive buffet dinner and Penmachno the following morning ,which was a lot wetter but the final run down is very very much fast and fun

alexh
    Free Member

I went, and we did it twice over back to back. It’s a tough old loop doing it twice. Last section is great. it’s Rocky and takes no prisoners on tyres. I enjoyed it, both down and ups.

Penmachno is very different

mrchrist

I like it. If you add some off piste in and head over to Llyn Gerionyd and mabybe crafnant then you have a cracking day out.

chrishc777
    Free Member

My favourite trail when we did a N Wales week last month

singlespeedstu

Last time I went was 7+(?) years ago. Is it worth a revisit?

Did you like it last time?
    There’s only you that can decide or are you just looking for attention?

jezketley
    Free Member

I did after a long weekend riding in the Elan Valley, Dyfi Enduro and the Pont Scethin Loop and was pretty underwhelmed by the Marin trail (it was a sunny morning and it was scenic but I wouldn’t make an effort just to ride it).

MartynS

I love the place. Proper old school trail centre where you have to climb to earn your down hill sections! Lots of people prefer Penmachno but I’m the other way around. Find Penmachno a bit undulating/pedally plus it’s always covered in standing water. Just never managed to click with it. Still ride it every so often though just prefer the Marin.

This.
    I like the Marin trail. Do a lap. Have a rest and go again, or at the bottom of the last desent go back up to the top of the last desent and do it again!!!

It’s a nice drive over, and the cafe at Bodnant gardens is lovely!!

Btw didn’t we go over there YEARS ago??

hora
    Free Member

2005/2006? 😯

dirtydog
    Free Member

Nothing changed since then apart from the new section they built last year.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The Marin trail – worth the trip?’ is closed to new replies.