Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The man of the hour
  • SaxonRider

Introducing Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers, who stepped up to the plate in his ancient parliamentary role as protector of the House of Commons, and managed to shoot the terrorist who himself shot a Canadian soldier and then infiltrated the Parliament Building.

This photo was taken only minutes after the fact.

SaxonRider

That’s quite moving, fingerbike. Thanks.

RustySpanner

That cartoon has just set me off.

Wasn’t expecting that.

njee20
    Free Member

Wow. That cartoon is moving.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wow.

Harry_the_Spider

Ooof. Brilliant cartoon.

RIP

Reign_Man
    Free Member

That is very moving

hs125
    Free Member

Indeed.

jodafett

Have a listen to the start of tonights PM, very moving indeed.

matt_outandabout

A hero, two of them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the poor guy have been arrested & given a fair trial? That’s what would have happened in the UK surely?

SaxonRider

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Shouldn’t the poor guy have been arrested & given a fair trial? That’s what would have happened in the UK surely?

To whom do you refer? The rifle-brandishing murderer? Arrest and trial would have been appropriate had he not been running through the House of Parliament with his gun having just killed a soldier across the road. There were people to actively protect in the situation, and S-a-A Vickers (along with the RCMP and others) protected them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yes, the ‘rifle brandishing murderer’ should have been arrested & given a fair trial. You know, like those bastards Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale that killed Lee Rigby were given. (IMO they should’ve been shot on sight, but thats the UK nowadays for you)

Kevin Vickers is a Canadian National Hero AFAIC.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Oh, you were being sarcastic! I did wonder.
    Now off you pop back to reading your daily mail

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

IMO they should’ve been shot on sight, but thats the UK nowadays for you

What do you mean nowadays ? You would have to go back a very long time to find a time when rather than arrest and trial people were shot on sight. Several centuries in fact.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

not several centuries, 30 odd years would do it

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No Freeman shall be taken or imprisoned, or be disseized of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any other wise destroyed; nor will We not pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the land.

boxelder

CCTV of the gunman entering Parliament

The Mounties are pretty quick to it.

Thoughts with all those affected by one man’s decisions. I bet Mr Vickers would much rather have not had that day at work.

CountZero

Nice quote, ernie; do you, or anyone else saying the murderer should have been arrested imagine for even one second he would have allowed that to happen? He’d have carried on attempting to kill as many innocent people as he possibly could, except one very brave man, in the course of his legal duty to protect and serve, stopped the bastard in his tracks.
    In exactly the same way that armed police would have done in the UK with an armed terrorist.
    And that cartoon moved me to tears.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nice quote, ernie; do you, or anyone else saying the murderer should have been arrested imagine for even one second he would have allowed that to happen?

I’m sorry I didn’t say anything about “the murderer should have been arrested”, and esselgruntfuttock said it purely for effect.

My comment was with reference to “but thats the UK nowadays for you”. I’m fairly sure that the UK nowadays is very simular to Canada with regards to shooting/putting people on trial.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

What would happen if our MPs had guns?

nealglover
    Free Member

Nothing much I shouldn’t think.

What do you think would happen ?

(Ps, do Canadian MP’s have guns ? I presume they must do otherwise your question would be a bit weird)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Something tells me, based on my experiences with family members who were in wars and other veterans I have met, that he wasn’t particularly happy about being applauded for being “the man who gunned down” the attacker. Killing someone, even in defence, can take a terrible toll on even the most hardened of people. Hopefully people will leave the man in peace and quietly thank him for his duty in future.

Made me wince that.

parkesie
    Free Member

Yes, the ‘rifle brandishing murderer’ should have been arrested & given a fair trial. You know, like those bastards Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale that killed Lee Rigby were given. (IMO they should’ve been shot on sight, but thats the UK nowadays for you)

Weren’t those two shot then arrested?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

How secure is the Canadian Parliament building? Its hard to think of anyone with an openly held rifle getting inside the UK Parliament with all the security around it – let alone the US Govt complex.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

do they make bulletproof tinfoil hats on your plane of existance?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Sometimes you’ve just gotta improvise:

SaxonRider

muddydwarf – Member
    How secure is the Canadian Parliament building? Its hard to think of anyone with an openly held rifle getting inside the UK Parliament with all the security around it – let alone the US Govt complex.

Until yesterday, it wasn’t really secure at all. I hope that doesn’t change, although the words of Justin Trudeau, Canada’s Leader of the Opposition, seems to suggest that they won’t do anything different.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2LjGspkieI[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

(IMO they should’ve been shot on sight, but thats the UK nowadays for you)

They were shot on sight, you numpty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why should he let the facts get in the way of his rants?

brakes
    Free Member

can someone explain the cartoon?

SaxonRider

@brakes: The soldier who got shot was guarding the War Memorial across the road from the House of Parliament. The rest is probably self-explanatory, but it depicts one of the commemorated soldiers descending the plinth to welcome another fallen comrade into their ranks.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

(IMO they should’ve been shot on sight, but thats the UK nowadays for you)

They were shot on sight, you numpty.
    They were also not carrying firearms so once down they were no real threat. Not that that would make any odds to the DM-waving fearmongers.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Essel, CZ, can I suggest moving to the Islamic State? I believe they might offer you the kind of justice system you’d approve of?

brakes
    Free Member

The soldier who got shot was guarding the War Memorial across the road

thanks, ^^ this was the bit I didn’t know.

TPTcruiser

RIP Nathan Cirillo.
    A couple of days earlier:

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Essel, CZ, can I suggest moving to the Islamic State? I believe they might offer you the kind of justice system you’d approve of?

No ta, I might become radicalised & end up shooting innocent people in Western cities.
    Wouldn’t be nice would it?

dirtyboy

Depends on whether there was anyone else armed equally nearby

dirtyboy

I’d suggest Hereford maybe Credenhill failing that Aldershot or Plymouth or Poole

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘The man of the hour’ is closed to new replies.