Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • the malverns – what tyres
  • br
    Free Member

We are riding in the Malverns on sunday, never been before – so what tyres would people recommend?

Stoner
    Free Member

its never muddy so you can get away with fast all year round tyres even in the wet.

I ride WTB werewolves a lot of the time.
    RRs are probably fine too.

br
    Free Member

Great, so I can swap off the Mud X's, at least for the weekend – thanks

jimw
    Free Member

You can find plenty of muddy patches on some of the less well ridden bridle paths- depends very much where you go to be honest. Stick to the higher paths and it is less of a problem but you will inevitably meet walkers more frequently unless you go early. I use XCPros most of the time

Stoner
    Free Member

apart from the boggy patch just before holy well and maybe a little spot on the low path between black hill car park and the kettle sings cheeky I cant think of much in the way of mud.

where are you thinking jim?

IHN

Round ones, preferably black

grtdkad

Agreed there's the odd patch / stretch of proper, proper mud but not enough to justify mud tyres. I've had my 'all season' Nobby Nics on since Mayhem in june and they're ace but have also used Conti Mountain and Race Kings which are pretty effective.
    Enjoy … if going at peak times just watch out for the walkers, toddlers with mums, pensioners and dogs….much more fun in the dark!

mboy
    Free Member

Can be muddy up there, but you can also avoid it easily.

Most of the trails up there are quite firm all year round, but can get a little slippy in places.

Not worth putting mud tyres on specifically to go up there, but also not worth taking them off if they're on there already if you get me… Mud X's will be fine up there as they're good in most conditions, not specifically just mud.

jimw
    Free Member

I was thinking of some of the lower paths above the cottage in the wood and St.Annes Well, the paths you mentioned, some little off camber patches on the Little Malvern side of Black hill, if you venture south of the British Camp on the Ridgway side (Hem!) etc. But as you say, not loads and mostly after heavy rain- like we are going to get tomorrow!

aracer
    Free Member

Whatever are currently on your bike. I ride RRs year round up there though, and don't have any problems – even the boggy bit above CitW is perfectly rideable with them (not like it's a techy downhill you need loads of grip for).

BlobOnAStick

Been up there tonight with Specialized Adrenalines on and they weren't enough for the slimy stuff (shallow leaf mulch only a couple of cm deep) that cover the main paths between North Hill and British camp – sketchy as hell on the east side.

I'd say you need something with sharp but short blocks that'll cut though the slime if it remains wet for the rest of the week.

Ben

br
    Free Member

Thanks guys

TBH its less about swapping tyres, than swapping wheels – as since I went tubeless I've managed to 'acquire' wheels… So everything from 2.5 Intense triple-ply's through to Crossmarks.

Taking onboard comments, I'll probably stick with the Mud-X on the front, but put an NN on the back.

grtdkad

Pretty interesting in places tonight…as above 2-3cm of slime on loop around Wyche – Holywell – Gardiners Quarry cheeky. Plenty fun. You'll be fine on your tyre choice I reckon and hopefully it'll be quieter for you if its a bit claggy up there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘the malverns – what tyres’ is closed to new replies.