Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The Lord of The Loops – Peak District
  • chrisrobs
    Free Member

I fancy doing this in early July and plan to do it in 2 days. I thought about packing some kit and sleeping out under a tarp.

Has anyone done this route and if so can you give me some advice as to what I should take with me, places to camp?

http://outdoorsgps.com/route/show/302470_lord-of-the-loops-fairholmes-hayfield-castleton-peak-district

Thanks

Esme
    Free Member

That route looks very similar to Peak Horse Power’s Kinder Loop, so their maps and photos may be useful.

AlexSimon

What type of camp spot do you like?
    You could go right on top of South Head or Mt Famine.
    Or there are woodsy or more sheltered spots (or even a campsite).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

I’d consider missing out the bit of Woodhead / Snow Road after/before Cut Gate. You can reach Dunford Bridge with cunning use of bridleway / TPT then use the quieter road from there to the Longdendale Trail rather than ride on the main road which is quite unpleasant/dangerous. The ruts on the Snow Road are so deep that it’s very hard to actually ride uphill. You can cross the road just along from the Flouch Roundabout, head up the road then take the bridleway that cuts across to the disused railway line/TPT.

There are a fair few campsites around the area – Hayfield, a couple around the Hope/Hayfield area, two in Edale plus a couple more nearby and one at Crowden off the Woodhead. Somewhere below Cut Gate on the Ladybower side might work for camping if you’re discrete, depends on whether you need to have water on your doorstep. On top of Cut Gate would be atmospheric. The rest of it is relatively, erm, not wild I suppose you could say.

nickdavies

If you’re starting at the start point on that route, I’d set up camp at the campsite in hayfield first then drive over to the start and crack on.

If you wild camp under a tarp then there’s not much in the middle 30% of your route to split halfway so you’re looking at a short/long day. Bearing in mind you have to stop much later and leave early to avoid grief you could just crack on and do that in a day.

Digby

On top of Cut Gate would be atmospheric an all you can eat buffet for the midges if there is no wind!

tarp won’t offer you much protection. As others have said I’d crack on and do it in a day without having to lug a sleeping bag etc with me.

BadlyWiredDog

This is the bridleway cut through to the TPT I was talking about btw. Just a load more pleasant that riding any of the A628 Woodhead Pass which has lots of lorries and fast cars to deal with.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9iMKKQpcY[/video]

scandal42
    Free Member

We started at the top in a small carpark and stayed in the Edale YHA. Nice brekky in the morning and a beer in Edale at night.

Was a good ride and good split.

markshires
    Free Member

Where did you leave park your car up overnight scandal?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

2 days? i did 90% of it in 8 hours in december, started in castleton – at 93km in i was short on time so rode road to Chapel, then back to Castleton down the broken road

2 days? you could do the loopy loop

https://www.alpkit.com/deeds/the-loopy-loop

sam3000

Looks like a good route

scandal42
    Free Member

A carpark just off woodhead res if I remember rightly.

sandwicheater

Book marking for late summer fun. Carry on.

grannyjone
    Free Member

2 days? i did 90% of it in 8 hours in december, started in castleton – at 93km in i was short on time so rode road to Chapel, then back to Castleton down the broken road

2 days? you could do the loopy loop

https://www.alpkit.com/deeds/the-loopy-loop

All that on a fully Rigid! That must have been hard

PolisherMan

Ooh, I’ll have a go at this if it ever stops raining..

grannyjone
    Free Member

How do people do stuff like this on a Rigid without wrecking their hands ? I just did 45k on a 120mm full suspension and they’re hurting. On a 150mm FS they’re not too bad though.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I rode this in a rigid bike.

http://www.shop.18bikes.co.uk/info/pek-200.php

The only times I’ve had hand problems is riding a full sus during relentless 24 race and this years ht550. Although riding 80 hours out of 92 may have been a factor in that.

I guess you just get used to it. And make sure bike for us good.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I don’t get used it. Ive ridden the 120mm bike for years and the hands hurt. The fork is not in great condition though so I’d imagine it performs more like a decent 100mm fork.
    I got a new bike with a 150mm travel fork and the hands felt a lot better. But the dropper post failed, so I’m back on my 120mm fork bike and straight away its hurting the hands again when the descents get very rough.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The Lord of The Loops – Peak District’ is closed to new replies.