Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The longest woodsy single track trail in uk?
  • glynP
    Free Member

so where is it? I was at Drumlanrig last night and its pretty special, there's also one in Ayrshire thats a bit secret just now and its going to be super but where is the longest swoopiest woodsy natural singletrack in uk. Do any of you remember the first issue of this mag, there's a great article on this subject.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Not in the uk, but I rode nearly 40 miles of continuous wooded singletrack in Bend, Oregon. We could have ridden miles more but it got dark!

noteeth
    Free Member

Wherever it is… I regularly dream about it.

GW
    Free Member

start in peebles, head over the hills to glentress, do green, red, blue, and black routes, add in some lesser known stuff then to head over the hills at the back to innerleithen, do all the trails on the north of the town then cross over to walkerburn, do all the trails at traquair, walkerburn, head along to yair following the merida route then back to peebles via the SUW. Glupton could probably show you all these one afternoon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The woods behind Nationwide in Swindon.

markyboy
    Free Member

go on tell us where the ayrshire one is! 😉

glynP
    Free Member

Craufordland just outside Kilmarnock, it will be finished by early next year

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Craufordland just outside Kilmarnock<

Go on then you've teased us in. What does Craufordland have – apart from an apparent lack of many trees? 😉

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Powerwasher up Cannuk. A good mile of cheeky natural woodsie singletrack. Not massively long but worth a mention.

BoardinBob

It's as flat as a pancake round there???

jam-bo

quantocks.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Three Maids Hill near Winchester weaves it's way for a couple of miles in the woods. It's only on a very gentle downslope so there's some pedalling involved but us southerners can cope with that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surely its got to be from somewhere to somewhere else?

Weaving back and forward across the same hill doesn't count surely??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Natural or man made?

Seagull run at Swinley is fairly continuous

The labarynth surely takes the award for most trail in smallest area, over a mile of continuous singletrack in an area the size of a football pitch, and thats just 1 track, there are about 4 others!

mboy
    Free Member

Seagull run at Swinley is fairly continuous

Nowhere at Swinley would come even remotely close to being the longest singletrack trail in the UK!!! 😕

I know a few trails in the Forest of Dean that are a few miles long, I know that if you know enough of the FOD that you could probably link wooded singletrack sections together that went on for dozens of miles I'm sure… Just depends how well you know the trails I suppose!

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you mean the longest single uninterrupted trail, or the longest ride including only singletrack?

jedi

herts shore 🙂 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't believe that is a trail Jedi. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

At Swinley you could do a very long ride consisting almost exclusively of quality woodsy singletrack, however.

Caher

there are some big long trails in the black forest – so they tell. Might take a poottle in the Autumn.

jedi

Tj, open your mind

cinnamon_girl

Three Maids Hill near Winchester weaves it's way for a couple of miles in the woods. It's only on a very gentle downslope so there's some pedalling involved but us southerners can cope with that.

Could I have a grid reference for this please? Am very curious! Thanks. 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Cinnamon Girl

448 358 and head towards Winchester in the woods alongside the Roman Road until you get to the army camp. The path's regularly tramped down by squaddies on training runs.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    At Swinley you could do a very long ride consisting almost exclusively of quality woodsy singletrack, however.

That would depend on your definition of quality though.

Brown
    Free Member

No it wouldn't.

Northwind

I'm told that Talnotry Hill at Kirroughtree is the longest constructed singletrack in the UK. No it's not natural, but then neither is Drumlanrig.

forge197
    Free Member

Great thread – Northwind that's one of my favourite bits of singletrack, nasty climb too it mind.

hh45
    Free Member

There is a footpath near QEP in Hampshire that must be the best part of a mile long and pure good quality singletrack. I would hope there are a lot of much longer pieces than that elsewhere but its not artificial or going round in circles like some of the above.

Johnbot
    Free Member

glynP – Member

Next year! You just got my hopes up for this weekend and then dashed them. I have to go to my mums in Ayr for the weekend so im going to take my bike and escape. Recommend me somewhere to take it?
    /Thread hijack

Bing
    Free Member

johnnywhitesox – Member
    Powerwasher up Cannuk. A good mile of cheeky natural woodsie singletrack. Not massively long but worth a mention.

😯 ??? i must have a different name, any clues? 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

the climb of Whites / Skyline ? Not physically long, but takes a very long time…

stumpy01

You can link miles and miles of twisty singletrack in Thetford forest. Not hilly, but lovely & swoopy, fast and undulating.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Brown – Member

No it wouldn't.

Yes it would.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The longest woodsy single track trail in uk?’ is closed to new replies.