Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • The law is the law….
  • MrAgreeable

Your bog standard burglar doesn’t kill anyone, should he not be a priority for the police then by that logic?

There is a sliding scale of severity, isn’t there? Going from crime against property to burglary, violent offences, unlawful killing and murder. This is the reason why people aren’t transported to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread any more.

In general it works pretty well, except when it’s disrupted by vocal arsewits in newspaper columns.

stumpy01

Why ‘this’?

All Police activity isn’t aimed at people being killed.
    Should Police stop dealing with burglary (as above), fraud, drug dealers, rape, domestic violence, drivers without tax, MOT &/or insurance, drunken anti-social behaviour at checking out times? No one has died in these instances, so we can not put any Police resource into preventing them?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Well, just to take the otherside of the arguement, I would favour police cyclists being out and about all the time (just one or too, doing people, who run lights. All this story has really done is told cyclists, don’t worry if you had to stop jumping red ‘cos you heard were were stopping and fining people, we’re done now so you can carry on as before.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If that doesn’t seem unreasonable to you, then you seriously need to realign your outlook.

I’m still just aghast at how we treat the deaths and injuries on our roads as collateral damage and there is a societal acceptance that the laws around road use are flexible in a way that others aren’t.

Why is a 30mph limit not a limit that’s enforced at 30? Why should 40mph be acceptable? Slower speeds make a huge difference to survivability when collisions occur.

The age of consent is 16 – is it allright for someone to &*$$ your 11 year old daughter because she’s only 30% below the limit?

unklehomered
    Free Member

But while its a silly one there is a perception issue, when they next do stopping motorists for whatever is the hot topic of the week, and they get the “why don’t you go getting all the horrid nasty cyclists instead of punishing decent [speeding/negligent/red light running] motorists” they can say – we did, look. I don’t like it, but it is the world they have to operate in, even more so now we have elected police commissioners.

I’ll give a massive +1 to speed limits, my town has a 20, and I reckon a trap would catch more people at 30+ than they could effectively process.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

when they next do stopping motorists for whatever is the hot topic of the week, and they get the “why don’t you go getting all the horrid nasty cyclists instead of punishing decent [speeding/negligent/red light running] motorists” they can say – we did, look

But there we have the problem. As has come up through this thread the danger comes overwhelmingly from motor vehicles yet the enforcement action is disproportionately aimed at cyclists.

The answer to that question should not be “we did, look” it should be “because they don’t kill or injure anyone and you do so we are focusing our efforts where they make the biggest difference to public safety”

wrecker
    Free Member

Why is a 30mph limit not a limit that’s enforced at 30? Why should 40mph be acceptable? Slower speeds make a huge difference to survivability when collisions occur.

But they do try to enforce it. Speeding tickets are given out all the time.

unklehomered
    Free Member

See my follow on point about the politicisation of policing. I don’t like it, I think its insane, I think the police should decide what is worthy of attention, and also focus on all things all the time. As opposed to having a crime of the week.

theraggyone
    Free Member

This is my first post so hi everyone its a bit of a hot topic for a first post but Ive been lurking on the forum for ages and it spurred me to sign up to comment.

I live in cambridge and have done all my life .I cycle and I drive around the city everyday and I have never visited a city anywhere with worse cyclists even the tuc tuc drivers in bangkok have nothing on some of these guys. ive seen kids cycle down the centre of busy roads in the dark with no lights, women with children on the back of there bikes with no lights, people cycling down streets on the wrong side of the road two abreast and alot of other offences and its not once in a while its everyday.imo they needed this crackdown and I hope it continues its hard enough for cyclists in citys without these idiots giving us a bad name…..

cookeaa

In an ideal world the police would be sufficiently resourced to catch and convict all Road traffic law transgressors and then “the I won’t comply with the law until every single bad motorists are caught” arguments would be pointless.

The fact is poor driving regularly happens and doesn’t get detected or stopped, how is that an excuse for RLJing or T-Boning peds?

Ride like a Christian and stay within the law and you’ve got the “moral high ground” by default. Everyone caught in Cambridge was breaking the law and fined accordingly, what’s wrong with that?

You can’t honestly be defending traffic offences just because they are carried out by someone on a bicycle as opposed to a motorist?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Just got sent notification of this .

Likewise, should they say where there will cameras? So people are more careful not to get caught, and as a result maybe speed less, or should they just put them places and do people (quite possibly me, I’m sometimes a little naughty on NSL roads)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

But they do try to enforce it. Speeding tickets are given out all the time.

Not enough for it to be a deterrent. Likewise mobile phone use. Just look at driver behaiviour – why all those brake lights at (ridiculously visible) speed cameras? because all those vehicles are speeding on either side. If you want to enforce limits you make the cameras invisible and move them regularly. Theres a simple way to avoid fines – limit your speed. If you’re unable to do that by yourself get some technology to help you.

There are over 10,000 drivers with in excess of 12 points who are still driving. Fines are insultingly low – a £60 fixed penalty? That doesn’t even pay for a tank of fuel in most cars.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Cycling campaigners insist the popular perceptions of rampaging cyclists are not supported by statistical evidence. According to the Department for Transport (DfT), in 2009, the most recent year for which figures are available, no pedestrians were killed in Great Britain by cyclists, but 426 died in collisions with motor vehicles out of a total of 2,222 road fatalities.

Indeed, bike riders insist it is they who are vulnerable. Of the 13,272 collisions between cycles and cars in 2008, 52 cyclists died but no drivers were killed.

From 2006 to 2010 [from Office for National Statistics] there was an amazing 18 incidents of pedestrians struck by a cyclist on a pavement in the same period there was over a 1000 struck by cars whilst on the pavement.

Maybe it should be against the law for cars to drive on the pavement ?

nealglover
    Free Member

£60 fixed penalty? That doesn’t even pay for a tank of fuel in most cars.

You are quite right

Fuel is FAR too expensive.

unklehomered
    Free Member

From 2006 to 2010 [from Office for National Statistics] there was an amazing 18 incidents of pedestrians struck by a cyclist on a pavement in the same period there was over a 1000 struck by cars whilst on the pavement.

Given what in my head seems the likely proportion of urban miles driven to urban miles cycled [more than 1000:1], 18 actually seems quite high to me. Also I doubt all cycle incidents were reported. I probably wouldn’t bother unless someone was hospitalised, whereas I would with a car even if everyone was fine.

The problem with cycling, is also the great thing about cycling. Anyone can get on a bike. The worst stuff I saw around Leeds was split between lycra clad hardcore elite made a point of passing me nothing will stop me, types – and people in normal clothes [jeans often under the arse], with their seat too low, in a low gear, no helmet, no stability wiggling about all over the place and the drive chain squealing its rusty self to bits i.e. not what I [and I suspect many here] would describe as a cyclist.

That’s a worrying line to go down though as it leads towards licencing of some kind which I am dead against.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

It’s about allocation of limited resources innit 😉 whilst cycling irresponsibly might be annoying, it ‘s mostly harmless …… I’d rather see police budgets spent on things that are really dangerous like car drivers or crimes that have real victims like burglary.

bencooper
    Free Member

Thing is, almost all the time a bad cyclist is only a danger to themselves. A bad driver is a danger to everyone around them.

I have a philosophical problem with laws that only exist to protect people from themselves, but that’s not the point here – the point is that scarce police resources are being used to target cyclists instead of car drivers for PR reasons.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

+1 and it’s rather sad that on a cycling forum, this is lost on a lot of the posters.

wrecker
    Free Member

Not enough for it to be a deterrent.

I dunno. I had a ticket, awareness course and it cost me £90. Improved my driving too.
    We are people, and I personally get pissed off with RLJers. I give plenty of space to cyclists and having commuted by bike myself, am mindful of their vulnerability. I still get very pissed off with RLJers. Imagine what it does to non-cyclists?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You can’t honestly be defending traffic offences just because they are carried out by someone on a bicycle as opposed to a motorist?

I’m not defending dangerous activity because it takes place on a bicycle. I’m saying that the road network is so poorly engineered for use by cyclists that it is sometimes safer to ignore the traffic regulations if you are using a bike. This is exacerbated by the failure to adequately address traffic offences committed by motorists which, in almost all cases, are an order of magnitude different in terms of the danger they cause.

I think it’s questionable whether a lot of these traffic offences should even apply to cyclists. In many ways cyclists have a lot more in common with pedestrians than they do with motorists – certainly in terms of kinetic energy in the event of a collision. Fat bloke running vs child on bike? Must be about the same.

We don’t have a ‘jay walking’ law in the country for pedestrians and the same approach could apply to cyclists. Why shouldn’t it be OK for a cyclist to turn left on a red light, or cross a clear junction against the lights, or roll through a light controlled pedestrian crossing when the peds crossed before the lights changed because the delay was set ridiculously long in favour of motor traffic? We need to control motor vehicles more rigidly because of the speeds, the implications when something goes wrong and because they would be incapable of negotiating the junctions when busy without some management. That’s not the case for cyclists.

I’ve been commuting in London for a long while and I go through phases of saint like adherence of the rules of the road and times when I take a more liberal interpretation. Right now I’m sick of having to fight for safe space on the road. I’m sick of motorists pushing past dangerously close to get to the back of a stationary queue they can already see, I’m sick of motorists accelerating towards me on a single lane ‘quiet back route’ thinking they can bully me out of the way, I’m sick of people revving their engine on my back wheel when I take the lane because I don’t consider the lane wide enough for them to safely pass. I’m sick of reaching an ASL to find it filled with cars and motorbikes.

bencooper
    Free Member

RLJing is interesting. Because car drivers do it all the time. I doubt it’s just Glasgow, but almost every traffic light has several people sneaking through on amber and very often one on red.

When a cyclist does it, it’s more obvious because cyclists aren’t so common.

The fundamental problem is that motoring offences are so common that they’ve ceased to be seen as offences in the eyes of the public – and more worryingly in the eyes of the police.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Also I doubt all cycle incidents were reported. I probably wouldn’t bother unless someone was hospitalised, whereas I would with a car even if everyone was fine.

That’s also true of a great number of minor incidents between bikes and cars. Knocked off by a car with only cuts and bruises and the temptation is not to report it since the police make it such a long winded process and are extremely unlikely to do anything about it.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s also true of a great number of minor incidents between bikes and cars.

Indeed. If I reported every incident of dangerous driving I saw every week, I’d never get anything else done.

wrecker
    Free Member

RLJing is interesting. Because car drivers do it all the time. I doubt it’s just Glasgow, but almost every traffic light has several people sneaking through on amber and very often one on red.

Absolutely. Cars doing it pisses me off too.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Absolutely. Cars doing it pisses me off too.

but doesn’t generate news stories in the national press

unklehomered
    Free Member

That’s also true of a great number of minor incidents between bikes and cars. Knocked off by a car with only cuts and bruises and the temptation is not to report it since the police make it such a long winded process and are extremely unlikely to do anything about it.

True, can’t argue with that one, done it myself, I took pity on them. Were genuinely mortified by what had happened and it was a little bit my fault too.

wrecker
    Free Member

I haven’t read about cyclists RLJing in the press. Is it a mail thing?

nealglover
    Free Member

The Cambridge News is not “the National Press”

It’s a Local newspaper reporting what’s happened recently in the Local area.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member

Given what in my head seems the likely proportion of urban miles driven to urban miles cycled [more than 1000:1], 18 actually seems quite high to me. Also I doubt all cycle incidents were reported. I probably wouldn’t bother unless someone was hospitalised, whereas I would with a car even if everyone was fine.

Those are Serious injuries/Deaths the dept doesnt give just deaths.

I drove to work yesterday [2 miles] and saw 0 cyclists and quite a few cars. 5 of which were commiting traffic offences. most serious being going through a red light. Other 4 were crossing double white lines, failing to stop at a pedestrian crossing and 2 parking on pavements.

Maybe its time to prioritize, maybe take a leaf from Holland or Belgiums traffic policy on bikes and cycling ?

unklehomered
    Free Member

All in favour of that, but the country we live in means that’s a long way off, and idealism won’t get us anywhere, certainly not in the short term.

If the cyclist who keeps nearly hitting Melanie Phillips uses this forum can I ask why you haven’t yet managed it? Is she surprisingly nimble? Maybe a fatty bike would increase your chances? Or some type of jousting pole, modded Mad Max style?

sbob
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk – Member

Car owners seem to get very protective of their cars – I’ve been screamed at – ‘don’t you dare touch my f&&&ing car’ – when I’ve slapped a panel of a car that’s been about to sideswipe me.

If you’ve got time to slap a car, you’ve got time to brake out of danger.

Stop being a prick. 💡

sbob
    Free Member

Dales_rider – Member

I drove to work yesterday [2 miles] and saw 0 cyclists and quite a few cars. 5 of which were commiting traffic offences. most serious being going through a red light. Other 4 were crossing double white lines, failing to stop at a pedestrian crossing and 2 parking on pavements.

It is not always illegal to cross solid white lines, and parking on the pavement is not in itself illegal for most of the UK, not that I’m defending the actions of the motorists that I didn’t witness, of course.

(2 mile car journey? Shame on you!)
    😛

bencooper
    Free Member

If you’ve got time to slap a car, you’ve got time to brake out of danger.

So cyclists should quietly and unobtrusively get out of the way?

sbob
    Free Member

boxbuster – Member

I live in Cambridge, there are loads of reckless cyclists and even as someone who cycles everyday and doesn’t really get stressed they often manage to wind me up.

Would you say it has (relatively) recently got worse?
    I’m sure I’ve noticed an increase in fixed gear fashion victims weaving between peds crossing the road, running reds and generally exhibiting shit, selfish road use.

sbob
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

So cyclists should quietly and unobtrusively get out of the way?

Two courses of action:

1. Remove yourself from danger.
    2. Don’t remove yourself from danger.

Why do so many cyclists who constantly complain about car drivers being dangerous pick option 2?
    Do they want to avoid danger or not?
    It would appear that being a self righteous prick is more important than their own safety.

The last incident I had was a bus driver pulling out on me.
    Did I slap the side of the bus?
    No.
    Because the safest thing for me to do at that time was remove myself from the area of possible conflict, which I did.

Safe road use isn’t **** rocket science.

unklehomered
    Free Member

While you have a point sbob, merely surrendering the road everytime doesn’t alert the driver to the fact he might nearly have killed someone, and reinforces the notion they have somekind of supremacy over cyclists. If I did something which a cyclist found threatening, inimidating or dangerous, I would want to know about it. And lets be honest no matter what the Melanie Phillips of this world might say, a dingding on a handle bar bell isn’t going to achieve that.

sbob
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

It is not necessary to be an apologist for red light jumping or pavement riding cyclists to point out that the risks they pose are many orders of magnitude less than the risks to pedestrians and cyclists from poorly controlled motor vehicles

Unfortunately that opens the door for antagonists like me to point out that speeding is an incredibly minor cause of accidents, even though I don’t, of course, advocate speeding, nor partake in excesses of the speed limit myself. 😀

Dales_rider
    Free Member

It is not always illegal to cross solid white lines, and parking on the pavement is not in itself illegal for most of the UK, not that I’m defending the actions of the motorists that I didn’t witness, of course.

(2 mile car journey? Shame on you!)

It is when you are not overtaking anything

“Rule 218 of the Highway Code says: “Do not park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it”.

If there are any restrictions, e.g. yellow line, then you cannot park on the pavement.
    Where there are no other parking restrictions then a sign should say that you are not allowed to park on the pavement/grass verge.
    Within London it is banned everywhere unless there is a sign permitting parking on the pavement or grass verge.

Vehicles parked on pavements can create a hazard:

To pedestrians by causing an obstruction that may result in them having to step off the pavement into the carriageway, thus putting themselves in danger.
    By restricting the width of the pavement and making it difficult for someone with a pushchair or wheelchair to pass safely – again this person may have to enter the carriageway to avoid the obstruction.
    Due to the damage caused by driving on and off the pavement – broken flags, potholes, etc.

Illegally parked vehicles cost the City Council thousands of pounds a year in damaged paving and damaged grass verges. It can also create serious problems for blind, disabled and older people.”

Finishing work [after 10 hour shift] at 00:40 one does not always fancy the ride home, especially in the rain

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘The law is the law….’ is closed to new replies.