Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • The Latest Filibustering Disgrace.
  • Drac

Utterly ridiculous that this is allowed to happen.

Eh, what’s this got to do with elections?

It doesn’t he just wanted to have a rant about Corbyn.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends on what position is the most outrageous /will annoy the most folk on here

The suggestion seemed an eminently good use of schooling as it would actually be a useful life skill and there is more to education/life than just becoming a useful worker ant.

crankboy
    Free Member

Defos a “politicians outrage” thread not “Tory outrage” thread on my part. We have an elected parliament whose sole function is to make important decisions by voting after reasoned debate and yet the process can be frustrated by one individual talking out a debate and so imposing his individual will or in this case ego as a brake on the entire democracy.
    The its Friday so not enough MP’s in the house is also enoying it is their job they unlike most got a significant pay rise the least they can do is turn up to work in office hours .See the NHS proposals for what should constitute Normal Office Hours for MPs .

MoreCashThanDash

I was about to admit to being a disgusted Tory voter, and then I remembered I didn’t vote for them last time!

ninfan
    Free Member

yet the process can be frustrated by one individual talking out a debate and so imposing his individual will or in this case ego as a brake on the entire democracy.

You think that this was an individual decision to trash the bill rather than an assassination on orders from above?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

They should get Nicholas Parsons to be the speaker and they should all have to obey the rules of Just a Minute.

aracer
    Free Member

Not me mate, and I still think he’s a ****.

So those above are also ****.

Which is what makes me really angry about this. I’ve certainly heard of people on first aid courses being quite upset when they’ve realised they could have saved a life if they’d had better knowledge. Sure some of the kids might be thick **** like Mr Davies and forget what they’ve been taught, but some won’t. You Mr Davies have blood on your hands (and by association ninfan you do too for supporting him).

Of course there might be something I’m missing here which means it’s impractical, but it’s not contained in Mr Davies’ speech. It certainly STM that it’s one of the more valuable things you could teach kids in school – as mentioned, it would only require a few hours every year – maybe they could do it before the summer break when they’re on wind down and appear to have spare time?

More fundamentally this comes down to what our parliament is about. Should it be that only the party who got 37% of the vote gets to make policy to change things, or should it be possible for sensible suggestions to be considered whatever the source?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ninfan, again: what do you think in general of private members bills?

ninfan
    Free Member

Ninfan, again: what do you think in general of private members bills?

I think the best thing that parliament could possibly do is stop introducing new laws for a while frankly – under Blair it was, quite literally, several new new laws every day and has continued pretty much unchecked since then – the entire parliamentary system has become bogged sown in gesture politics an “political point scoring” has become more important to politicians of all parties than solving actual problems, with tickbox laws being introduced that serve only to remove discretion and recriminalise things that were already illegal.

(This of course is hardly a new complaint, William Cobbett was saying much the same in 1807!)

julianwilson
    Free Member

under Blair it was, quite literally, several new new laws every day and has continued pretty much unchecked since then –

Yet putting aside the total number of pieces of legislation, the actual number of private bills successful under thatcher and major was usually double if not more per year/session than under blair afterwards: i wonder where else these ‘several new laws a day’ were coming from? And should private members bills be cut because of pebbledashing legislation elsewhere in the political week?

Parliament.uk website us unclear how many members bills were debated/started but not made law however, so i can’t see wherther the huge drop in private members bills made law under blair vs the conservative governments before was against a background of there being too many bills introduced or too few, or something else entirely.

Interesting also to wonder how many laws would have been more ‘officially’ supported by governments had they not been able to be put in more quietly as whips or handout bills. Would we still have had the following and if not how much later and in what form?

(shamelessly lifted from wiki):

Abortion Act 1967
    Adoption Act 1964,
    Murder (Abolition of Death Penalty) Act 1965,
    Charter Trustees Act 1986,
    Law Reform (Year and a Day Rule) Act 1996,
    Knives Act 1997,
    British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1997,
    Mental Health (Discrimination) Act 2003
    Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003
    Gangmasters (Licensing) Act 2004
    Sustainable Communities Act 2006

grum
    Free Member

ninfan – how about for once instead of trolling and whataboutery you discuss the actual issue at hand on it’s own merits? No didn’t think so.

ninfan
    Free Member

Waah waah waah Grum

The government didn’t support it, it got nuked – don’t like it, get an electable leader and form a government.

That’s politics and thus, frankly, the ‘actual issue at hand’

Diddums.

@ Juliansilson – yes, it is interesting, I think it’s pretty clear that many of the successful ones have been essentially adopted or ‘waved through’ by the government of the day as something they broadly supported but didn’t want to ‘put their name to’ for, possibly more partisan, political reasons.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is a your reply to not trolling?

Its such as shame as you are a bright fella, well informed but instead of debating you prefer to take up positions you dont believe in yourself [ defend the indefensible] and then just goad folk.

I suppose we all have to have a hobby.

as i said earlier his position is whatever will cause the most offence and get the biggest rise and so it still is. This covers his opinion on all topics for ever…except guns and killing stuff as he really does like those.

ninfan
    Free Member

Context –

Topics started:

The Latest Filibustering Disgrace.
    The Next US President.
    Nuking ISIS.
    What’s happening in Hannover?
    Jeremy Hunt – Did he write a book calling for NHS to be dismantled?
    David Cameron complaining about cuts…
    How are the consultant contract negotiations going?

[video]http://youtu.be/t4zYlOU7Fpk[/video]

Drac

Context –

Topics started:

Countryside Alliance opposition to #trailforwales

Jeremy Corbyn’s Enormous Marrow

EU :Travel time = Work time

Hunting Act Amendment…

Russell Brand 24

Peaceful Protesters again…

Migrants from Africa, what to do?

Huge oil find in the Surrey hills

Indeed.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The Latest Filibustering Disgrace.
    The Next US President.
    Nuking ISIS.
    What’s happening in Hannover?
    Jeremy Hunt – Did he write a book calling for NHS to be dismantled?
    David Cameron complaining about cuts…
    How are the consultant contract negotiations going?

What’s wrong with that?

Drac

No Zoos?

yunki
    Free Member

ninfan.. you’re becoming a parody of yourself..

Your ancestors would be turning in their graves at what an utter fool you are being..

slowoldman

What an outdated, antiquated joke of a place Westminster is.

It’s perfect. For the 17th century.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I suppose what we need are some private members bills on gun licencing, outdoor access/fight to roam and curbing the power of trade unions (even more!), then wheel an mp out to kill them on a Friday afternoon -then see how ninfan feels about filibustering. I have a sense that he is against too much unconnected bitty legislation and favours the ‘creative’ use of our constitution to manage this, but unclear from two answers now whether he would actually support the abolition of private members bills rather than address the misuse of parliamentary time (by both masses of bills and also fillibustering) in order to achieve this.

Personally I think private members bills are something to be held on to. Under a political system that favours single party government it is already near impossible for ‘minority’ mp’s (if you can call the snp ‘minority’ nowadays but really I am thinking the even smaller parties) elected with enormous support locally to put forward legislation. The issue of complex or messy over-legislating can be dealt with elsewhere and by other means -figures suggest that the mess of laws (and on this I agree with ninfan, it was a bit of a mess) under Blair actually had little to do with private members bills -the successful ones actually halved under Blair compared to the previous two periods of government.

slowoldman

fight to roam

Well I suppose there was a certain amount of that with the gamekeepers on Kinder before the right to roam.

aracer
    Free Member

Well some of them are a bit – how can I put this – “zoo fightery”. Not that I have a problem with that – most of them are quite entertaining. More to the point though, the list is completely irrelevant if you play the ball not the man – something it appears ninfan is incapable of. I hadn’t even noticed you started this thread, and I think I’ve made my feelings fairly clear.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Interesting MP response in that it seems to ignore his primary role. Maybe the government could review the whole process, unless of course that doesn’t ultimately benefit the wealthier in our society.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sad when we have to rely on politicians to determine whether you teach First Aid or not.

As for the tactic, pretty sad too. Imagine how proud you must feel if that was the highlight of your day? But nothing new in it.

And some want these people, running more and more of our society. Very odd….

aracer
    Free Member

The trouble is that the politicians have structured education so that it’s difficult to find space in the timetable for things which aren’t compulsory. I presume that’s what you meant?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I meant, it’s sad when we have to rely on politicians to determine whether you teach First Aid or not.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, I saw that was what you wrote, I was just exploring your understanding of the implications.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh, I thought you were stating what you presumed I meant.

slowoldman

I suggest appointing Nicholas Parsons as Speaker and introducing the rules of Just a Minute into political debate.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No deviation!! 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘The Latest Filibustering Disgrace.’ is closed to new replies.